• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blazer colour suggestions for navy pants

Tropicalist

Reaction score

So really- no more navy pant. All gray from now on unless I'm buying a suit!! Lol. Thanks!!

Gray, khaki, creme in endless shades, and fabricS. Plain, textured and checks. Stripes don't really work in trousers either unless part of a suit. Happy hunting.

imanewbie

Reaction score
Man I know navy is not popular pant wise since its hard to match anything with it, but come on now you guys have at least one navy color pant int he closet I know I do...hahaha

HughJ

Reaction score

Man I know navy is not popular pant wise since its hard to match anything with it, but come on now you guys have at least one navy color pant int he closet I know I do...hahaha

I do, but they're a bumming around kind of chino. I would only consider buying navy dress trousers once I had all of my other bases covered.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thinman and Morrison, thank you for the input! I will look out for the lighter blues and the charcoals! :) not sure how good brown would look (I wear black shoes always so I wonder if that is a problem...
Thanks!
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Expand your horizons to include brown shoes; they're so much more interesting. :sly:
You are correct: I wouldn't wear a brown jacket with black shoes and belt (except in the rarest of circumstances and after long thought to coordinate everything).

Last edited:

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Expand your horizons to include brown shoes; they're so much more interesting. :sly:
You are correct: I wouldn't wear a brown jacket with black shoes and belt (except in the rarest of circumstances and after long thought to coordinate everything).

Yeah, I think something like the AE strands in walnut look very nice paired with a pair of wool navy trousers. And throw in a splash of color with your socks, too.

guymac12

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Gray/stone, light blue, white, green, beige, brown: So many colours to work with!
smile.gif

That's right, there are several colors to work with just don't pick the bright ones.

kev647

Reaction score

Ugh...brown?? The only thing I own that is brown is my Macassar briefcase. Lol. And it has black leather trim so I can integrate it nicely with my other black clothing.

Brown is such a difficult colour to work with for me. I much prefer the look of black as well as it is more conservative and simple (brown has so many different shades of brown along with textures/shine- at least with black, I know the shoe is just black and I only have to worry about which texture/shine I want).

I'll consider it... :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

GoClick

Reaction score
It would be really helpful if you posted a picture of your face so we can judge skin tone. Be sure to white balance the camera for better colour. The best thing to do would be to wear a white shirt, the pants in question, and take the picture with the flash on the camera outdoors in the shade. The flash is for colour balance and exposure, I'm assuming you're using a point and shoot.

Blue is picked up by the M, and S cones in the eye and thus colour coordination is easier than green, but harder than red. I find your best bet is to try and go with colours that stimulate L and M cones rather than trying to get too much M, S cooperative stimulation. But that's going to be really casual, and pretty bold. Think Red and Blue. Choices are going to depend quite a lot on the pants themselves, but also your complexion, hair colour etc. For example some "yellows" will look okay, but others will look putrid… it will depend on the pants. Navy isn't just navy… there's many aspects there.

Personally… I don't buy navy blue pants unless they're jeans. Blue pants are pretty hard to make work with a shirt, jacket, and tie, or even without a tie, though it's easier. At best you end up looking "okay" in most cases.

If you like blue pants buy them lighter, then you can wear them with all kinds of things in casual circumstances.

I would especially not go out and buy a new jacket to work with difficult pants… go buy new pants… or you could bleach and/or dye them if you're up for it.

If you want an example of killing it with a pants that are a bit lighter than Navy check this out
http://acutestyle.tumblr.com/post/25458515777

Last edited:

kev647

Reaction score

It would be really helpful if you posted a picture of your face so we can judge skin tone. Be sure to white balance the camera for better colour. The best thing to do would be to wear a white shirt, the pants in question, and take the picture with the flash on the camera outdoors in the shade. The flash is for colour balance and exposure, I'm assuming you're using a point and shoot.

Blue is picked up by the M, and S cones in the eye and thus colour coordination is easier than green, but harder than red. I find your best bet is to try and go with colours that stimulate L and M cones rather than trying to get too much M, S cooperative stimulation. But that's going to be really casual, and pretty bold. Think Red and Blue. Choices are going to depend quite a lot on the pants themselves, but also your complexion, hair colour etc. For example some "yellows" will look okay, but others will look putrid… it will depend on the pants. Navy isn't just navy… there's many aspects there.

Personally… I don't buy navy blue pants unless they're jeans. Blue pants are pretty hard to make work with a shirt, jacket, and tie, or even without a tie, though it's easier. At best you end up looking "okay" in most cases.

If you like blue pants buy them lighter, then you can wear them with all kinds of things in casual circumstances.

I would especially not go out and buy a new jacket to work with difficult pants… go buy new pants… or you could bleach and/or dye them if you're up for it.

If you want an example of killing it with a pants that are a bit lighter than Navy check this out
http://acutestyle.tumblr.com/post/25458515777
I may post a pic (later). Link was interesting, but not my style. My pants are all formal and darker navy with light check or stripe patterns. I'll consider buying more grey going forward.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads