• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black topcoat

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You should let us know where you are.

In other words, no, it's not too formal for Manhattan. And given that it's Polo, you probably live in the U.S.

In my opinion, it's not too formal anywhere if it's a second or third coat. As you know, black is always appropriate at night.

If it's to be your principal dress coat, you'd be a little more flexible if you could locate an equally well priced coat in gray. But I wouldn't let that stop me from buying it if I lived in a dressier urban area like Chicago.

Will

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think so... what part of the country are you in? It would be perfect for the east coast... perhaps in SF it would be pushing it, but even then, I would still wear it. In LA (not that you would need such a heavy coat) it might get a second glance.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not too dressy if you pair it with a dressy dark suit, pinstripe or solid. It doesn't have texture, so I'd hesitate to wear it with, say, a less formal suit (gray flannel) or a sport jacket with flannels or twill. I personally don't like a single breasted dress button-through topcoat (prefer double-breasted or fly front). My main concern is durability of fabric (I had a bad experience some years ago with a Zegna cashmere and wool topcoat that pilled up quickly).

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A nice looking coat. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

Kai

MikeF

Reaction score
I have a black Armani Classico coat in a similar style - probably a bit slimmer cut - that I almost never wear, except with a black suit, because a grey, more traditional topcoat seems to look better with just about everything.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the East Coast at least, a black topcoat is extremely common. There are more black ones worn on a typical January day here in DC than navy or dark gray ones (or camel ones, for that matter). I've got a blue one and a black one, and frankly I don't think of one as more formal than the other, at least for day-to-day wear.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's funny this post cropped up today.

I've been considering buying a new topcoat since last winter, when I inadvertently left one I had from Banana Republic - black, single breasted button through - somewhere (I suppose it could have been snatched)... You know how it is with coat checks and formal events and Bombay Sapphire.

Anyway, I wore that one all the time. BR doesn't have genuine sizing, but their M fit very well, and I wore it often, with suits or with jeans and black boots or shoes. I dug it; the urban "I wear a suit on weekdays" look, even though I didn't, really. I'm guessing some folks would disapprove of this as contrived or inappropriate, but hey, I thought it was sophistamicated. It also earned some compliments from the ladies.

Yesterday I was at a Nordstrom Rack, and they had a John W. Nordstrom brand wool/cashmere topcoat in black, in a 42r, for $129. I would've bought in on the spot, but it was a more traditional (bigger) fit; big shoulders, long cut. It would fit well over a suit/tux, but I worry it would be much more difficult to pull off as a weekend look.

I thought the BR coat, which was black, knee length, a wool/nylon(?) blend, with higher lapels - not too different than the Sierra Trading Post item, looked great over any suit I had with which I would wear black shoes, though not so much with sportcoats and pants. It also looked good casually. I dunno about the Nordstrom one though...

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a coat like this one Edward Norton wears in The 25th Hour is perfect for this kind of coat. I've seen similar from D&G and Armani.
07.jpeg

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite topcoat is black wool by Dolce and Gabbana. The lining is purple silk. Wear it all the time in fall, winter.

Leo Jay

Reaction score
Not too formal, as stated above. Not as versatile for weekend/casual wear as a grey or navy, I don't think, but perfectly fine.

funkyprez

Reaction score
Black is fine for the office (esp as others said, if you are on the east coast), but I think something in charcoal would be more appropriate. Black is a bit of a strong color, and in my opinion, looks more appropriate for an evening out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads