• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Tie Hire – London

DangerMan

Reaction score
Hi - I need to rent a black tie dinner suit fairly urgently for an event this coming Friday 19th. I've spoken to Buckleigh's in Chelsea who can do it... but i found their shaw lapel suits quite a rough heavy material to be honest (almost school blazer fabric!)

Can anyone recommend alternatives?

Of course i've read the usual horror stories about Moss Bros, but have since noticed they've upped their game a bit, now offering shaw and peak lapel options. Does anyone have fist hand experience of the quality?

DM

Grenadier

Reaction score
Go buy one of T.M. Lewin's offerings. They aren't much more than renting and you'll now own eveningwear.

DangerMan

Reaction score
The cheapest TM Lewin Evening Suit is £279. My hire suit from Buckleigh's in Chelsea will be £90.

DM

Jermyn

Reaction score
Go to a charity shop and pick something up in your size.
Anything you find is very unlikely to have much wear at all (such is the nature of black tie attire).
It will also be of a far higher standard than a rental outfit.

For £90, you can pick up a new shirt and a decent dinner suit and bow tie. Spend a little extra in a place like Ede and Ravenscroft and you'll be able to get yourself a waistcoat too.

PM me if you need details of a West End tailor, who'll turn this around for you same day, if alterations are needed (aren't they always?).

Grenadier

Reaction score

The cheapest TM Lewin Evening Suit is £279. My hire suit from Buckleigh's in Chelsea will be £90.

DM

TM Lewin offers a discount usually. But you would (1) have a better tuxedo and (2) would own it and could use it many times. You would only need to use it 3 times before it is revenue neutral compared to the hired tuxedo. So while it is more expensive now, it will be less expensive over your lifetime. And you will look better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads