Black suit poll

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by vida, Sep 29, 2011.

Do you wear a black suit to work?

1. Yes

39 vote(s)
    23.2%
  2. No

109 vote(s)
    64.9%
  3. Outside of the office

30 vote(s)
    17.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. WorkingOnIt

WorkingOnIt Senior member

Really depends on the region or area. At least in the San Francisco/Silicon Valley area, black suits are present. It may be the start-up/youth culture. I have been at meetings where everyone was in a black suit. I will say, DC/NY folk have been strict on no black suits. Still, most of us from California have at least one black suit in the closet. :embar: :slayer:

2. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Still, most of us from California have at least one black suit in the closet. :embar: :slayer:[/quote]

And more likely more than that..

3. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Do you mean that 'society at large' hates black suits, too?

4. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Hyperbole aside, I seem to recall having spied quite a few Brits in black suits.

5. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

I won't wear a black suit to the office. I do have one from before I really started cultivating my interest in clothing, and will still wear it to an evening occasion where the likelihood of me falling down or getting spilled on is greater than average. The vast majority of the plebs in my area own one suit, and it is almost always black.

6. academe

academe Senior member

Ah but then how many of those Brits wearing black suits are "posh"? :dozingoff: There's definitely strong class stratification here with respect to dress.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011

7. mr bunbury

mr bunbury Senior member

I won't wear one to work, but I have a slim-cut, 'cool' black suit from A.P.C. that I'll wear to a party or hip bar or something. I think of it like really dressed-up casual wear.

8. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

How many people do you see sporting black suits everyday? Those that do wear suits, only the minority would be wearing black. Navy, Grays and Charcoals far outnumber black suits on the street, particularly during the day. Maybe my experience differs from others, but I do kinda notice from a generic perspective what people wear.

9. lenahan

lenahan Senior member

I wore one yesterday, and I will be getting back a Black with white pinstripes suit a week from Tues, I have my Charcoal striped suit hanging up for tomorrow as well, and I am currently wearing a black with subtly blue pinstriped sportcoat with grey trousers. I love my black suit; the fabric is to do for, the lining is beautiful, and it fits like a glove. Further, so long as one avoids the white shirt, black/blue/red tie look, it need not wash one out. I live in NYC, 90% of the suits I see, weather at my school or in the financial district, are black or Very dark navy and charcoal (that appear black)

10. stevent

stevent Senior member

You sure that's what you see in SF? I'd say at least 40% of the suits I see in the financial district / Embarcadero / Soma are black.

11. RSS

RSS Senior member

I remember back in the early 80s when I told Mr. Harvey at Anderson & Sheppard that I needed a black funeral suit. He corrected me, "No, you need a dark charcoal funeral suit."

I'm glad for that advice. I wouldn't -- and franklly won't be -- caught dead in one. There is one word for a black suit: T A C K Y!

12. RSS

RSS Senior member

Yes, and all are low on the totem pole.

And they make lots of cheap ones ... I guess 'cause that's what most people buy. And the worst part ... they look cheap and lifeless ... with a dreadful green undertone. In all my days I've seen only one black suit that looked even half way decent.

Yes, and they look just as bad as those who wear them in New York. The reason? Most people do not have well developed sense of style and taste. In short, bad taste has no passport.

I don't. Then again I just own a house there ... I wasn't born there.

And will look infinitely better than the man in black.

13. RSS

RSS Senior member

Disdain for the black suit was present long there was an Internet. SF 'group think' does NOT get credit.

14. blahman

blahman Senior member

I like to believe that everyone in black suit, black tie and white shirt is a secret MiB agent.

15. dks202

dks202 Senior member

I think one's age should be considered in the poll as well. I believe younger guys tend to wear black because it's cool and trendy right now... just like slim fit shirts, pants, and suits.