• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black suit poll

Do you wear a black suit to work?

• Yes

Votes: 39 23.2%
  • No

Votes: 109 64.9%
  • Outside of the office

Votes: 30 17.9%

• Total voters

WorkingOnIt

Reaction score
Really depends on the region or area. At least in the San Francisco/Silicon Valley area, black suits are present. It may be the start-up/youth culture. I have been at meetings where everyone was in a black suit. I will say, DC/NY folk have been strict on no black suits. Still, most of us from California have at least one black suit in the closet. :embar: :slayer:

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Still, most of us from California have at least one black suit in the closet. :embar: :slayer:[/quote]

And more likely more than that..

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PS: Not everyone lives in America, and certainly not in LA. Judging peoples opinions on a global clothing forum based on your experiences in LA is like judging global trends in interior decorating by living in a cave in the mountains of Afghanistan.

Hyperbole aside, I seem to recall having spied quite a few Brits in black suits.

LeviMay

Reaction score
I won't wear a black suit to the office. I do have one from before I really started cultivating my interest in clothing, and will still wear it to an evening occasion where the likelihood of me falling down or getting spilled on is greater than average. The vast majority of the plebs in my area own one suit, and it is almost always black.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hyperbole aside, I seem to recall having spied quite a few Brits in black suits.

Ah but then how many of those Brits wearing black suits are "posh"? :dozingoff: There's definitely strong class stratification here with respect to dress.

Last edited:

mr bunbury

Reaction score
I won't wear one to work, but I have a slim-cut, 'cool' black suit from A.P.C. that I'll wear to a party or hip bar or something. I think of it like really dressed-up casual wear.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many people do you see sporting black suits everyday? Those that do wear suits, only the minority would be wearing black. Navy, Grays and Charcoals far outnumber black suits on the street, particularly during the day. Maybe my experience differs from others, but I do kinda notice from a generic perspective what people wear.

lenahan

Reaction score
I wore one yesterday, and I will be getting back a Black with white pinstripes suit a week from Tues, I have my Charcoal striped suit hanging up for tomorrow as well, and I am currently wearing a black with subtly blue pinstriped sportcoat with grey trousers. I love my black suit; the fabric is to do for, the lining is beautiful, and it fits like a glove. Further, so long as one avoids the white shirt, black/blue/red tie look, it need not wash one out. I live in NYC, 90% of the suits I see, weather at my school or in the financial district, are black or Very dark navy and charcoal (that appear black)

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How many people do you see sporting black suits everyday? Those that do wear suits, only the minority would be wearing black. Navy, Grays and Charcoals far outnumber black suits on the street, particularly during the day. Maybe my experience differs from others, but I do kinda notice from a generic perspective what people wear.

You sure that's what you see in SF? I'd say at least 40% of the suits I see in the financial district / Embarcadero / Soma are black.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I remember back in the early 80s when I told Mr. Harvey at Anderson & Sheppard that I needed a black funeral suit. He corrected me, "No, you need a dark charcoal funeral suit."

I'm glad for that advice. I wouldn't -- and franklly won't be -- caught dead in one. There is one word for a black suit: T A C K Y!

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You sure that's what you see in SF? I'd say at least 40% of the suits I see in the financial district / Embarcadero / Soma are black.
Yes, and all are low on the totem pole.

They make em because people will buy em.
And they make lots of cheap ones ... I guess 'cause that's what most people buy. And the worst part ... they look cheap and lifeless ... with a dreadful green undertone. In all my days I've seen only one black suit that looked even half way decent.

Yes, and they look just as bad as those who wear them in New York. The reason? Most people do not have well developed sense of style and taste. In short, bad taste has no passport.

Still, most of us from California have at least one black suit in the closet.
I don't. Then again I just own a house there ... I wasn't born there.

The Man in Charcoal in question will be a gentleman..
And will look infinitely better than the man in black.

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It's funny how a consensus is so often cast as "groupthink" by those who disagree, both on SF and in society at large.
Disdain for the black suit was present long there was an Internet. SF 'group think' does NOT get credit.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like to believe that everyone in black suit, black tie and white shirt is a secret MiB agent.

dks202

Reaction score
I think one's age should be considered in the poll as well. I believe younger guys tend to wear black because it's cool and trendy right now... just like slim fit shirts, pants, and suits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads