• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black suit poll

Do you wear a black suit to work?

• Yes

Votes: 39 23.2%
  • No

Votes: 109 64.9%
  • Outside of the office

Votes: 30 17.9%

• Total voters

Coronaeus

Reaction score
When i start my second career selling cellular phone accessories at a shopping mall kiosk, I may start wearing a black suit to work. Until then, I don't think so.

vida

Reaction score
Wow! Lots of hate towards the black suit............

Octoberfile

Reaction score
Black suit, blue suit, grey, charcoal, brown, dark tweed.....blah, blah, blah....just another option as far as I'm concerned. The SF yes men also like to poo poo on the brown suit as it is "too casual" for the workplace or makes you look like a member of the SA. The white suit is sneered at as representing the Mr. Roarke from Fantasy Island look. God forbid anyone put on anything other than a blue, grey or charcoal suit. This forum actually has threads that are dedicated to the color blue and the color grey, all toting the party line in lockstep fashion.....talk about obsession!

Anyway, every job I've ever had only required wearing a suit to an interview and color was never a factor unless you walked in the conference room wearing an orange zootsuit. Even the partners chose to dress like crap every single day. When we met with clients, we were encouraged to dress "hip and cool".......that is, polo shirt business casual or what I like to refer as the "over-the-hill, middle aged geezer look" or you showed up looking like a mormon without the tie. I'm from L.A., and I have to admit that the servers at the California Pizza Kitchen dress way better than the cpa's and attorneys around here. There are certainly worse things you can wear to work other than a black suit, like for example, one of those ugly fat lapeled, flannel/check patterned,1970's sport coat monstrosities I see so many of you forum members jerking off too.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'd say they have a place in entertainment/clubs/etc.. Nobody wants to hear about "The Man in Charcoal"

The Man in Charcoal in question will be a gentleman..

jawboneofa

Reaction score

Black suit, blue suit, grey, charcoal, brown, dark tweed.....blah, blah, blah....just another option as far as I'm concerned. The SF yes men also like to poo poo on the brown suit as it is "too casual" for the workplace or makes you look like a member of the SA. The white suit is sneered at as representing the Mr. Roarke from Fantasy Island look. God forbid anyone put on anything other than a blue, grey or charcoal suit. This forum actually has threads that are dedicated to the color blue and the color grey, all toting the party line in lockstep fashion.....talk about obsession!

It's funny how a consensus is so often cast as "groupthink" by those who disagree, both on SF and in society at large. Perhaps you could just say that you think differently? It's not like SF members are conspiring to make millions on shorted black suit futures (although if you guys are, can you tell me what your next pick is?)

There are certainly worse things you can wear to work other than a black suit, like for example, one of those ugly fat lapeled, flannel/check patterned,1970's sport coat monstrosities I see so many of you forum members jerking off too.

I guess if your only two options are black suit or SF sexual object, go for black. But this strikes me as an incredibly false dichotomy.

jawboneofa

Reaction score
Also, I voted no on the black suit. At the risk of being part of the collective, charcoal, grey, and blue are all better options, all other characteristics of the suit being equal.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Never to work.
Only when I am out of work and have a job as a waiter!

+ infinity :D

That made my glum expression happier, comment of the day so far.

anything solid black to work = never
black pinstripe = I am a bit on the fence. I do wonder if the impact of white / chalk / gray stripes is enough to prevent you looking washed out.
black herringbone = ?

guyver00

Reaction score

There are certainly worse things you can wear to work other than a black suit, like for example, one of those ugly fat lapeled, flannel/check patterned,1970's sport coat monstrosities I see so many of you forum members jerking off too.

Troll...

Anyway to OP, wear a black suit if you're shooting Reservoir Dogs, or if you're a fashion icon like Jay Manuel :rotflmao:

Last edited:

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally - and I thought this topic would never be discussed here!

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think you have come to the wrong forum. Your kind aren't welcome here. :censored:

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You mean like those "ugly fat lapeled, flannel/check patterned,1970's sport coat monstrosities" that make up most of Tom Ford's collections? Yeah, I'm sure you think you're being really modern and fashionable by hating on them, but really you're proving the opposite.

PS: Not everyone lives in America, and certainly not in LA. Judging peoples opinions on a global clothing forum based on your experiences in LA is like judging global trends in interior decorating by living in a cave in the mountains of Afghanistan.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The amount of black suits worn around Indiana during job recruiting season is probably at 60-75%. By students and recruiters.

While I prefer Navy and Charcoal, there are plenty of people in the real world wearing black suits.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's hard to believe how many people have voted in the affirmative.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads