• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black suit jacket with black stripe pants?

Does this combination look good?

• Yes, I believe you can definitely pull off this combo.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • No, the slightly striped pants don't go with this coat.

Votes: 14 87.5%

• Total voters

scharania

Reaction score
I purchased a black suit jacket/sportcoat the other day. It is great, looks very smooth and slim fit to feel just right. However, I can't figure out whether or not it would be fine if I wore this suit jacket with black striped pants. They are slightly striped.

Would it look good and acceptable in terms of fashion if I were to wear the suit jacket, a dress shirt and the black (subtly striped) pants? Or do I need to get the buy the matching black pants? Everyone I ask seems to have a different take. Thank you a lot.

Also here are pictures of each ...
Suit coat: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...t?ID=652472&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

Striped pants: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...t?ID=708330&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

scharania

Reaction score
If you stick around this forum for a while, you will look back on this and regret it.

Please explain. ... I read around this forum for a while today and saw a lot of people really knew their stuff when it comes to mens fashion. So I wanted some knowledge.

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I most certainly would NOT recommend the combination of a black sportcoat and black striped pants that you are proposing, and I bet nearly everyone here would agree. In fact, I wouldn't wear either of those items at all. But if you insist on wearing black pants and a black jacket, it'd be best if they were mated together as a suit. An easy and much nicer combination would be a navy sportcoat with gray or khaki trousers. If you want to wear a suit, how about solid navy or gray instead of black?

If you stick around this forum for a while, you will look back on this post and regret it.

+1. Welcome to Style Forum. :nodding:

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Please explain. ... I read around this forum for a while today and saw a lot of people really knew their stuff when it comes to mens fashion. So I wanted some knowledge.

1. Black suits are generally frowned upon on this forum and also considered to violate more traditional rules of men's dress.

2. Wearing suit jackets without matching pants is generally frowned upon. It looks like you're wearing half a suit and forgot the pants. Jackets that are intended to not be worn with matching trousers tend to look different than suit jackets (texture, pocket type, buttons, etc.).

3. Stiped odd trousers (i.e. trousers not worn with a matching jacket as part of a suit) are generally frowned upon. Exception if you are wearing a stroller (old school daytime semiformal that almost nobody wears anymore). Generally, pinstripes / other striped trousers belong as part of a suit.

4. Bonus points for black striped garments. Many around here who are less anti-black suit might still agree that a black suit, if it is worn, is best worn to evening dinners and social events and possibly to a funeral. Striped trousers / jackets would be inappropriate at both as they are considered to be a business pattern.

If you go the black suit route, make sure the matching trousers are actually matching trousers. If they are not an exact match (e.g. suit separates in the same fabric), you don't have a suit. You have pants and a jacket that sort of look the same but don't belong together. Welcome to SF, btw. Don't mean for any of this to sound harsh, more trying to give a summary answer to why someone said you might regret this post. If you'd like to delve more into any of the points, I and others I'm sure would be happy to discuss or provide links to threads on the subject.

Last edited:

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's not go into the black suits / sport coats are bad. There are already a bunch of active discussions and there have been roughly 50,000 in the past.

To the OPs question: mixing a solid black sportcoat with solid black trouser which are not of the same fabric will always look like an accident in the morning. A black sportcoat with black striped trouser looks like you were still drunk as hell when you got dressed. It is not close enough to look like a suit and not different enough to look like a decent combo...it primarily looks ******.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To the OPs question: mixing a solid black sportcoat with solid black trouser which are not of the same fabric will always look like an accident in the morning. A black sportcoat with black striped trouser looks like you were still drunk as hell when you got dressed. It is not close enough to look like a suit and not different enough to look like a decent combo...it primarily looks ******.

Bravo. Well played, sir.

Let's not go into the black suits / sport coats are bad. There are already a bunch of active discussions and there have been roughly 50,000 in the past.

Hence the additional comment on providing links to threads that go into this. OP asked why someone suggested he might regret his post so I tried to answer the question. The "black suit" part is certainly a reason for such "regret." I'm not interesting in starting another black suit discussion and hope it does not evolve into that but didn't think it would be right to ignore that point.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hence the additional comment on providing links to threads that go into this. OP asked why someone suggested he might regret his post so I tried to answer the question. The "black suit" part is certainly a reason for such "regret." I'm not interesting in starting another black suit discussion and hope it does not evolve into that but didn't think it would be right to ignore that point.

Actually I did not write that sentence to critisize you, but rather to hold myself back :fistbump:

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's nothing that really differentiates a black suit jacket from a stroller jacket. I don't see anything wrong with borrowing a jacket from your black suit to form a stroller.

The OP's jacket, while hideous, would be fine as a stroller jacket.

Some quick research confirms this, although most strollers seem to be paired with gray pinstriped, rather than black pinstriped, trousers. In any case, I maintain that that jacket would look awful with those trousers. Even in the context of a stroller the stripes in the pants look far too narrow for any stroller I've seen (admittedly not many). They are obviously suit trousers.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd think that peak lapels would be highly preferred with a stroller (could have sworn I read something on ASuitableWardrobe awhile back) but I could be wrong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads