• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black pinstripe suits

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's more of a nighttime suit. Certainly not bold in the banker stripe sense. If the fit is indeed perfect, considering that is a Maurizio bespoke suit, you got a steal.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ordered the 52S Black pinstripe. Corneliani does have much softer shoulders and have less chest padding than Canali.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MilanoStyle
Ordered the 52S Black pinstripe. Corneliani does have much softer shoulders and have less chest padding than Canali.

Good buy, IMHO - if I had some extra $$$ I'd certainly pick one up. We'd appreciate some pics once you get it tailored
smile.gif

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by demeis
This look like the suit from their instock program that retails now for about $1295. Fabric is a 4 season weight. The 52E should fit you cause the 54 euro is going to be like a 42.5R.

On a side note would this suit be approriate for an interview with Neiman Marcus i have in May? I wore a black pinstripe suit with blue stripes last time? This suit has been growing on me a lot in the past few weeks.

Considering your age alone, no, pinstripe for the interview is not a good idea.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant.com
Considering your age alone, no, pinstripe for the interview is not a good idea.

can i ask why and whats your reasoning?

NickDakota

Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the STP shipping discount in this thread. In the spring 2006 catalog, buried in a description for a Barry Bricken silk/linen unconstructed jacket, there is the line "At 1500 UTC, what is it in the lounge at HNL?" I could let everyone play with it for a while, but of course I won't... It's 5am at 1500 UTC since Honolulu International Airport is at UTC-10. If you enter this question and answer into the comments section of the order, they'll comp shipping. If you return an item using the UPS label enclosed with your order, it only costs 5.25 to return items... How can you lose. I spent more than that on lunch today.

Who wouldn't skip a lunch to try on a 1200 dollar suit?

Nick

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fabrics with a bit of a "hairy" texture (it's the best word I can think of...like mohair or cashmere blends) tend to look quite elegant, much less severe than worsteds. They pick up chalkstripes really well, too.

I think dark, richly coloured, heavily textured ties - basket weaves in brown, dark red, etc, and a crisp white shirt balance nicely.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by demeis
can i ask why and whats your reasoning?
I disagree with mensimageconsultant. You're not interviewing at Wells Fargo, it's a damn fashionable department store. You don't help yourself by dressing like a banker.

Not that I have any experience
blush.gif

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
I disagree with mensimageconsultant. You're not interviewing at Wells Fargo, it's a damn fashionable department store. You don't help yourself by dressing like a banker.

Not that I have any experience
blush.gif

My reasoning too. I've worn pinstripes for all my interviews. To tell you the truth i've been told by many who do interview that its not just navy or charcoal suits anymore. They tend to notice people who dress with some sort of flair to them no the typical look if you know what i mean. Finance is the only place i've really heard to do a dark plain suit still.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's working for you.... It is the fashion industry, after all.

However, flair doesn't require a patterned suit. A tie's color and pattern easily can be enough.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This topic crops up regularly, it seems and always proves controversial.

All I can say is that I have a black pinstripe suit (with a dark red lining) and while it is definitely a very formal - and attention-grabbing - look, it also usually garners compliments.

I wore it last Friday with a stark white shirt, a bright red tie with tiny cream squares and a darker red solid pocket square. I got about 4 or 5 very positive comments on the look over the day.

I think as long as you have the confidence to wear the pattern, a black pinstripe is an asset to a guy's wardrobe.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got my Corneliani black pinstripe suit in the mail today from STP and I have to say that it looks amazing. The armholes are nice and high and it fits like a glove, not to mention the fact that the white beaded pinstripe on black looks awesome. I'm taking it to the tailor tomorrow for some alterations, and then maybe I'll post some pics wearing it so you guys can check it out.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got mine today too and its at the tailors right now. My only problem is i think its not black, it looks like a midnight navy to me. it says navy on the tag and when i put it up to blacks it looks almost navy sometimes and other not. So i'm not really sure. If its navy its really dark, but right now i'm leaning toward navy. Can't wait it fits great and its a lovely suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads