1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Black pinstripe suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by demeis, Mar 29, 2006.

1. demeis

demeis Senior member

I disagree with mensimageconsultant. You're not interviewing at Wells Fargo, it's a damn fashionable department store. You don't help yourself by dressing like a banker.

Not that I have any experience [​IMG]

My reasoning too. I've worn pinstripes for all my interviews. To tell you the truth i've been told by many who do interview that its not just navy or charcoal suits anymore. They tend to notice people who dress with some sort of flair to them no the typical look if you know what i mean. Finance is the only place i've really heard to do a dark plain suit still.

2. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

If it's working for you.... It is the fashion industry, after all.

However, flair doesn't require a patterned suit. A tie's color and pattern easily can be enough.

3. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

This topic crops up regularly, it seems and always proves controversial.

All I can say is that I have a black pinstripe suit (with a dark red lining) and while it is definitely a very formal - and attention-grabbing - look, it also usually garners compliments.

I wore it last Friday with a stark white shirt, a bright red tie with tiny cream squares and a darker red solid pocket square. I got about 4 or 5 very positive comments on the look over the day.

I think as long as you have the confidence to wear the pattern, a black pinstripe is an asset to a guy's wardrobe.

4. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I just got my Corneliani black pinstripe suit in the mail today from STP and I have to say that it looks amazing. The armholes are nice and high and it fits like a glove, not to mention the fact that the white beaded pinstripe on black looks awesome. I'm taking it to the tailor tomorrow for some alterations, and then maybe I'll post some pics wearing it so you guys can check it out.

5. demeis

demeis Senior member

Got mine today too and its at the tailors right now. My only problem is i think its not black, it looks like a midnight navy to me. it says navy on the tag and when i put it up to blacks it looks almost navy sometimes and other not. So i'm not really sure. If its navy its really dark, but right now i'm leaning toward navy. Can't wait it fits great and its a lovely suit.

6. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I just got my Corneliani black pinstripe suit in the mail today from STP and I have to say that it looks amazing. The armholes are nice and high and it fits like a glove, not to mention the fact that the white beaded pinstripe on black looks awesome. I'm taking it to the tailor tomorrow for some alterations, and then maybe I'll post some pics wearing it so you guys can check it out.

Please do. I love me some Corneliani.

7. deaddog

deaddog Senior member

Any further thoughts on whether it is actually dark navy rather than black? Does tag really say navy?
    Thanks

8. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Any further thoughts on whether it is actually dark navy rather than black? Does tag really say navy?
    Thanks

Actually, I just took a look at it before and the tag does actually say Navy. That's kind of weird because I could swear that it's black. If it's not black, then it's about as dark of a navy as you can get before you have to start calling it black.

9. demeis

demeis Senior member

Hey odoreater. If you take a close look at least on mine it seems like there is some blue in the weave. But when i compare it to other blacks its not as dark but still seems black. I'm having trouble with this one.

10. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Hey odoreater. If you take a close look at least on mine it seems like there is some blue in the weave. But when i compare it to other blacks its not as dark but still seems black. I'm having trouble with this one.

Well, nevertheless, I still think that it's an amazing looking suit. Couldn't go to the tailor today to get it altered because I got a cold, so hopefully I'll be able to go on Monday.

Is it going to be possible to alter the sleeve length because of the faux buttonholes?

11. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

I think the concern over 'interview-appropriate' or 'business-appropriate' suits can be slightly overstated. Aside from 'white-shoe' investment banking or law firms, where the whole vibe is inherently 'clubby', as long as you stay reasonably within the parameters of business attire (navy, medium grey or darker, or black), you'll be fine. Most firms aren't going to think ill of you just because you wore a black suit (or even brown) to the interview.

...though if you show up for three separate rounds of interviews in black suits (either the same one or different ones), they may (rightly) start to wonder about you...
    [​IMG]

12. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I think the concern over 'interview-appropriate' or 'business-appropriate' suits can be slightly overstated. Aside from 'white-shoe' investment banking or law firms, where the whole vibe is inherently 'clubby', as long as you stay reasonably within the parameters of business attire (navy, medium grey or darker, or black), you'll be fine. Most firms aren't going to think ill of you just because you wore a black suit (or even brown) to the interview.

...though if you show up for three separate rounds of interviews in black suits (either the same one or different ones), they may (rightly) start to wonder about you...
    [​IMG]

Well, I guess the idea is that you want to take advantage of every marginal little thing that you can take advantage of. Wearing a regular navy, gray or charcoal suit may not help you, but it certainly won't hurt you, whereas with a more fashion-forward suit, you take the risk that someone who interviews you will be an old fogey or someone who really cares and it can reflect negatively on you. Chances are that it won't, but why take even that little chance, especially for a job you really want.

13. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

Is it going to be possible to alter the sleeve length because of the faux buttonholes?

The faux buttonhole stitching can be picked out. Sometimes this does leave a mark, however. I have had suits in the past where it showed, and that bugged me tremendously.

Depending on the button placement and how much you need to lengthen or shorten the sleeve, you may be able to have the alterations done without moving the buttons.

14. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

Well. My shippment came today with UPS, but could not be delivered as there was no one to pay for COD! I guess I am going to get it on Monday.

Those of you who bought the suit, can you comment on the fabric weight and quality? If fabric is not to light, then the fuax buttonholes can be removed rather easily. On a light fabric, tailor needs to be careful.
    \\

15. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Well. My shippment came today with UPS, but could not be delivered as there was no one to pay for COD! I guess I am going to get it on Monday.

Those of you who bought the suit, can you comment on the fabric weight and quality? If fabric is not to light, then the fuax buttonholes can be removed rather easily. On a light fabric, tailor needs to be careful.
    \\

Well, I'm no expert on fabric or anything. To my eye, the fabric is nice and soft, but not necessarily light. The label on the inside says that it is Super 120s.

16. cmpatti

cmpatti Member

Mine arrived a couple of days ago. The fabric is mid-to-light weight and very nice. It looks black to me.

17. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

BTW, did the suit come with a hanger??

18. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

BTW, did the suit come with a hanger??

Yes, it came with a Corneliani hanger.

19. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

Here is the classic stereotype gangster suit: Black with white pins seems to be the Navy blazer and grey flannels of the gangster world:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

It's all in the accessories.

Strictly speaking, the one on the far right with the knee-length jacket is more a 30's era 'zoot suit', not really a 'gangster' look, per se, though it may or may not have been somewhat influenced by the gangster look, I don't know...

20. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

Strictly speaking, the one on the far right with the knee-length jacket is more a 30's era 'zoot suit', not really a 'gangster' look, per se, though it may or may not have been somewhat influenced by the gangster look, I don't know...

This is in fact a mexican/black ganster style... called "pachuco" in California and now represented by stacy adams ...