• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black or charcoal - only in the context of a summer blazer (odd jacket)

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger489
black linen is awesome..

I am not convinced. It seems like a bit of a contradiction. I love linen, but for me linen is summer and need summer colours. Not that you cannot wear black in summer. But it is not a summer colour and I find black linen a bit weird. It is not yet on my shopping list.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. White
The proper color for grey has always been a medium grey--not charcoal. Grey is the color of bland, corporation men and soulless government functionaries. A man in a grey suit is a warning to not associate with this person except for the 30 seconds you have to do business with him.

Some years ago, corporations started pushing the propaganda that they are innovators, seats of knowledge and culture, centers of research, and such nonsense. Corporation men started wearing gawdy gangster pinstripes; grey became darker and darker as if by becoming almost black the corporation look could almost be mistaken for formal wear--as if a day in the rat race was the high point of the social season.

So if you wear medium to light grey, especially a bit baggy with a Fedora, you're 1940s retro and dazzling. All the corporation men are trying to fool themselves into believing that they have charisma, consoling themselves by marching in lockstep in their charcoal uniforms.

Black is perfectly fine for the same reason: the dull and unimaginative corporation men don't dare to actually wear black and mock the baseness of their existence. But to do so, they'd first have to admit a willing whoredom too deplorable to fathom.

Generally speaking, I'd reserve black in summer for the third all-day rainy day in a row, or for an unusual cool snap. California doesn't present such opportunities, so I never wear black April through October.

Well, I always wondered why "corporation men" are not supposed to have charisma... I have met people with charisma in all sorts of places. And met people in "charismatic" professions who, once you get close to them, well, surprise you (maybe not so much) being real jerks. A jerk is a jerk, dressing gray or black.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Wow.

Well, that is what I thought getting towards the end of the post. And then I saw that I was not alone...

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by manofstyle
You can wear darker colours without resorting to black.

I agree. And if I finally decide not taking the black ( I just realised that this expression is not an SF one but a George R.R. Martin one; sorry) I may end up starting a new thread on this subject...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads