• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Big man needs help with dress shirt issue

bpendrak

Reaction score
I am 5'11" and weigh 275 pounds. Until VERY recently I did not pay much attention to "fashion" and, rarely had any reason to wear anything more fancy than a pair of Dockers and a golf shirt or button-up. However, with a real chance at moving into a management role with my current employer, I have run into a problem. Once the promotion occurs, I will be required to wear a dress shirt and tie on a daily basis. Therefore, I have decided to start dressing nicer by wearing slacks, dress shirts, and dress shoes in preparation. Here is my main issue: in additon to the measurements above, i have very large shoulders and a thick neck. however, although still fat, my body is disproportinant to my shoulders. in fact, i once had a tailor say "what you need is a 54R athletic cut." For years I have worn an 18 1/2 neck 34/35 because it fit me through the body the best. However, without linking 3 collar extenders together, it is IMPOSSIBLE to wear a tie. Doing this also makes it tough to cover the fact that I am using several collar extenders with the tie knot. This could be embarrassing! I just bought a couple of 19 1/2 34/35 shirts and, as expected, the body swallows me whole. Is there an easy, CHEAP solution to this or am I gonna end up spending tons of money to have all of my shirts tailored? If tailoring is my only choice, is there a good place to have it done online that may be cheaper? All constructive help is greatly appreciated! And, please, don't preach to my about losing weight...

JDMills

Reaction score
A cheap solution is just to go to an alterationist and have them dart the shirts as much as they can, itll cost you like 10-15$ per shirt which isnt so bad if the rest all fits. Or go the online made to measure route, moderntailor.com lets you put in your measurements and you get a shirt that fits for between 50-75$ each usually, but the darting would be cheapest.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you're needing to upgrade your daily attire, you'll be needing to spend serious $$$. Longer ties and, from what it sounds like, mtm shirts (which you can get on the cheap end around $70 from some of the affiliate vendors).

What is your maximum and preferred prices for various items you'll be needing (either to buy or alter)? Also, if you want to hide your weight, both jackets and suspenders are going to be your friends.

bpendrak

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response, Gentlemen. I am not familiar with "darting" but did a quick google search for an explanation. Is it obvious from looking at the shirt that it has had This done?

at this point, I have already purchased a nice pair of shoes, one pair of slacks, and a navy blue Ralph Lauren blazer (unplanned purchases due to a death at the company). To start with, I want to get 3-5 dress shirts of various colors, and 2-3 pair of slacks. Once I obtain the position, and the extra money is coming in, I will add a couple of more jackets, etc. I really don't want to sound cheap here... However, I will admit that it is tough for me to spend more than around $30 on a shirt. Pants... About the same. I have had luck in finding pants around my budget. It's really the shirt issue that has me befuddled.

also, can you Gentlemen help me with another question? What is the difference between a sports coat, a blazer, and a suit coat? Please excuse my ignorance in this area.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is your drop (jacket chest measurement minus trouser waist measurement)? It may be possible to get the right dress shirt altered, though a 19.5 inch neck really limits the number of ready to wear makers you can use. I'm afraid made to measure (MTM) is likely your best possible option here. Congratulations on the potential promotion, though.

Where are you located currently? This will help us recommend some potential places to get made to measure shirts done. I would in general avoid online MTM, where you enter your measurements and they send you a shirt. The results are often inconsistent (some have luck, many don't). You are likely to get far better results having a professional measure you. This will cost you a bit more and you're probably looking at around $100+ per shirt for decent cotton. Meeting someone in person also allows you to feel the various fabrics, whereas it can be more difficult to know what you're getting online without a decent amount of research.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You need to go to a B&T store. They'll help you out.

It can't hurt to look, but I'm not so sure this will do the trick. OPs problem seems to be that the shirts that fit him in the neck are too big for him elsewhere in the body, especially in the waist. A big and tall store will have more shirts with large neck measurements, but there's no guarantee that they will fit him the way he wants them to, even with alterations.

Bmeliamb

Reaction score
I was recently very similar to your dimensions but with a smaller neck. I wear a suit and tie everyday. I would purchase shirts from Charles Tyrwitt (About $40/each) and have them taken in on the sides. Shirts were always the hardist fit to get down for me. For what it's worth, I also tried online MTM but had very little success.

Thankfully, I've managed to lose significant weight (~70lbs); now I can have a wider variety of sources to throw my money at.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads