• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Big Dilemma: So much denim, which to choose?

yoshimagikmagik

Reaction score
Yo wasup, this is my first post in this forum. I have been lurking around here for quite a while though. So, I'm lookin for my first pair of designer denim, and I want it to be dry. I am lookin for straight leg, tight, but not ridiculously tight. Some stacking, but not too much. Selvage is great, but I can do without it. I was lookin at rag and bone rb11 or rb6's, imperial dukes, corpus, and ernest sewn fulton drys. But, I am still open to suggestions and am pretty confused since there is so much selection. I really like the rag and bone look, with the subtle white streaks that seem to give the jeans texture. But then, I heard that rb is not what it used to be. Should I go for something else then? Out of the ones that I like, which ones would you guys suggest and why? Are there any other brands you think I should look into? Thanks so much for any input you guys can give me. Also, I think the best way to really know what jeans I like is to try them on. I live in the bay area, so I could go to a couple boutiques in sf, but the problem is that last time I went to one it felt like they were a little too nice in that I felt guilty about not buying anything. I would basically be using them to try on jeans, but not buyin because I can prolly find a better deal online. I feel bad about doing that, especially because its not like target; at these boutiques they really give you good customer service. What do you think I should do about this? Thanks so much again
smile.gif

v84

Reaction score
Just get whatever jeans you like, if you think they are good then for all intents and purposes they are good!

Dont feel bad about trying stuff on in boutiques with no intention to buy, just remember your already in the store passing other products, and if the service is good you should return. Also distressed jeans vary from jean to jean, so if you do try on a pair you consider perfect, then buy em there and then, for the sake of saving 20 dollars its not worth ordering the same pair online only to find out they are slightly different with a touch tighter waist etc etc.

nyc_gaucho

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yoshimagikmagik
Yo wasup, this is my first post in this forum. I have been lurking around here for quite a while though. So, I'm lookin for my first pair of designer denim, and I want it to be dry. I am lookin for straight leg, tight, but not ridiculously tight. Some stacking, but not too much. Selvage is great, but I can do without it. I was lookin at rag and bone rb11 or rb6's, imperial dukes, corpus, and ernest sewn fulton drys. But, I am still open to suggestions and am pretty confused since there is so much selection.

I really like the rag and bone look, with the subtle white streaks that seem to give the jeans texture. But then, I heard that rb is not what it used to be. Should I go for something else then? Out of the ones that I like, which ones would you guys suggest and why? Are there any other brands you think I should look into? Thanks so much for any input you guys can give me.

Also, I think the best way to really know what jeans I like is to try them on. I live in the bay area, so I could go to a couple boutiques in sf, but the problem is that last time I went to one it felt like they were a little too nice in that I felt guilty about not buying anything. I would basically be using them to try on jeans, but not buyin because I can prolly find a better deal online. I feel bad about doing that, especially because its not like target; at these boutiques they really give you good customer service. What do you think I should do about this?

Thanks so much again
smile.gif

the description of the kind of jeans you want made me think of the skull 5010xx's that i recently bought...i love them...

i understand your shopping dilemma...i bought my skulls from BiG in soho, nyc...it's a small shop, and they give you a lot of attention...i would have been very uncomfortable about it, if i didn't have the intention of buying from them...but i did, so it was cool...and, i recommend that you do the same...

self edge is in your area...i think you should seriously consider giving them a shot...the ***** is that you have to pay tax...but, that money is largely (if not entirely) recouped when you factor in the free chainstitch-hemming that they provide...

i'm all about avoiding unnecessary expenses...but, shopping at BiG was worth it for me...i got the perfect size, found out stuff about my jeans that i didn't know (even though i very thoroughly researched them), got the free chainstitching and was exposed to other brands (like pbj
inlove.gif
) that really piqued my interest

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nyc_gaucho
the description of the kind of jeans you want made me think of the skull 5010xx's that i recently bought...i love them...

i understand your shopping dilemma...i bought my skulls from BiG in soho, nyc...it's a small shop, and they give you a lot of attention...i would have been very uncomfortable about it, if i didn't have the intention of buying from them...but i did, so it was cool...and, i recommend that you do the same...

self edge is in your area...i think you should seriously consider giving them a shot...the ***** is that you have to pay tax...but, that money is largely (if not entirely) recouped when you factor in the free chainstitch-hemming that they provide...

i'm all about avoiding unnecessary expenses...but, shopping at BiG was worth it for me...i got the perfect size, found out stuff about my jeans that i didn't know (even though i very thoroughly researched them), got the free chainstitching and was exposed to other brands (like pbj
inlove.gif
) that really piqued my interest

Great post...I am planning on hitting up BiG this Sunday. From the pictures that are posted on their site the jeans seem rather unimpressive. I don't know why. Maybe the pictures just don't do them a justice. Either way I'll still end up going.

yoshimagikmagik

Reaction score
ya, i kno, but self edge only has two kinds of jeans that i like, the imperials, and the skulls. ill still go i guess. the thing is the imperials are like 265 in their store, but i can get it for like 200 online...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads