• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Writer's Software?

Fidgeteer

Reaction score
Didn't see your response until just now; sorry for the late reply. Your work with markov chains sounds fascinating, coldarchon. What I especially like is that it seems free of some crushingly obvious populist interface and programming goal. iTunes is fine in its place, but the equivalent for a fiction writer (imposed ideas and tools beating you to death instead of other people's music) would be hell. The LOTR stats sound interesting, but not inclusive of characters' importance: The number of times names are mentioned often has as little to do with importance as the conscious mind has to do with motivation. Sometimes the most crucial relationships are deliberately played down or even concealed, to be discovered by readers later. I like it when shattering events occur without most readers even noticing, so that the story continues in an obvious way for them, but the strongest and most nightmarish aspects have to be arrived at by later reflection -- usually by readers who are best equipped to understand them.
Originally Posted by coldarchon
I did some coding there as well, using natural language processing and social networks engines, but then got stuck on working on my bot.
Again, sounds fascinating.
Originally Posted by coldarchon
just out of personal interest, do you dream a lot? I'm an oneironaut, a lucid dreamer without needing any sort of meditation, and I have found out that many writers had this ..
I've known a lot of working fiction writers and the phenomenon seems to be very common: The more we write, the less we're forced to dream. In that sense, I've always thought Cronenberg's "Scanners" was a metaphor for fiction writers: People whose heads are invaded by images and voices. My best friend from the age of twelve is a prolific and fairly well-known science fiction writer. He was eleven years older than I, but I always had to be very careful what I said around him: The wrong metaphor would torture him for days. If I remarked that Mountain Dew tasted like carbonated phlegm, then he couldn't drink anything for a week. I once described someone we knew as a taxidermist who couldn't find anything else to stuff and had begun to stare at his own legs. My friend called me up days later asking why I'd said that to him. He kept picturing the guy working on himself obsessively just as the cops were breaking in to stop him. So, to answer your question, yes, I dream vividly, but I also have very strong eidetic imagery: I'm able to picture anything I imagine clearly, as if I were seeing a photograph or film. If I'm walking across a bridge and imagine a pedestrian being hit by a car and falling to his death, I can see it in front of me: The bounce of his hip and shoulder against the speeding car's door and handle, the curve of his body arced toward the railing over which it flies, the slight untwisting of his torso as he falls, the limbs adjusting to space, head turned in a vain attempt at self-protection, the boulder waiting below, just beneath the side of his cheek, so that it cuts through him (the instant disfiguration hidden), the muffled sound of his snapping neck, the thud of the impact and the way in which he flattens: not visibly broken, from above, as if he could still get up and walk away with a shattered skull and flaccid neck. I feel his sense of shock, too, as well as seeing him fall: The hollowness that takes him over as he slips into drop space, his last chance to think obliterated by recoil.

daceymathers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
In an effort to re-energize my most recent book project, I am thinking about buying a new programme. At the moment it is all on Pages, but I am thinking about getting Scrivener, Storymill, Ulysses or Storyist.

I know we have a few writers here, what do you use?

I use scrivener and it is the best software.Scrivener is a powerful content-generation tool for writers that allows you to concentrate on composing and structuring long and difficult documents. While it gives you complete control of the formatting, its focus is on helping you get to the end of that awkward first draft.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
well for screenwriting and stage the industry standard is Final Draft, but that won't be as useful for novels/prose etc...

+1

And it needs to be said that, for screenwriting, Final Draft actually is immensely helpful. Formatting manually on Word, and/or going without FD's macros, would be a serious beast.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fidgeteer
So, to answer your question, yes, I dream vividly, but I also have very strong eidetic imagery: I'm able to picture anything I imagine clearly, as if I were seeing a photograph or film. If I'm walking across a bridge and imagine a pedestrian being hit by a car and falling to his death, I can see it in front of me: The bounce of his hip and shoulder against the speeding car's door and handle, the curve of his body arced toward the railing over which it flies, the slight untwisting of his torso as he falls, the limbs adjusting to space, head turned in a vain attempt at self-protection, the boulder waiting below, just beneath the side of his cheek, so that it cuts through him (the instant disfiguration hidden), the muffled sound of his snapping neck, the thud of the impact and the way in which he flattens: not visibly broken, from above, as if he could still get up and walk away with a shattered skull and flaccid neck. I feel his sense of shock, too, as well as seeing him fall: The hollowness that takes him over as he slips into drop space, his last chance to think obliterated by recoil.
A little overwrought and on-the-nose, but otherwise, a pretty solid passage marked by excellent rhythm and precise description. 85/100

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads