• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best with dress shoes - tapered or boot cut?

Aureus

Reaction score
Personally I prefer the look of dress shoes with jeans to be with tapered jeans.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bootcut. Especially for more sleek shoes. Balances out nicely.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer bootcut or straightleg, but taper can work. As Get Smart noted, shoe shape can generally point you in the right direction.

gza

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
dress shoes with half a break, straightleg or slight taper

dress shoes with more break, bootcut

That's a great way to go about deciding. Do you think that loafers vs. laceups makes a difference too? I don't do the dress shoes and jeans combo much, but I'm inclined to think that loafers would look better with the vamp partially obscured by a bootcut.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer a slimmish straight leg works. Slight bootcuts in dark denim are fine, too, although the look - especially with loafers - has been appropriated by certain sorts of dressers.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Other factors to note are the degree of detail in the shoe and, most importantly, the size of your foot. Very generally, there is a classical proportion of shoe you may want to show. If you have a small foot and wear a boot cut, your shoe may disappear. Also, in the history of clothes, at times when the shoe shoes more, then more attention is paid to the detail and elaboration of the visible elements of the upper -- the stitching, brogueing, etc.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gza
I'm inclined to think that loafers would look better with the vamp partially obscured by a bootcut.

I like wearing loafers w/jeans too and yer right about the vamp needing to be partially covered, bootcut or straight.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
IMO, dress shoes with anything other than tapered is a wee bit tacky.

I think this depends on the deffinition of a dress shoe. If you are talking the lace-up oxfords one wears with their suits to a job interview, I agree. However, if one uses the term "dress shoe" more loosely, to refer to any leather shoe that isn't a sneaker, then I think it depends on the type of "dress shoe."

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This is a good thread. I've been wondering if there could be some solid guidelines for this, since we sometimes recommend this idea but come up short on specifics.

Does anyone have pics of good or bad dress-shoes-with-jeans looks?

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
This is a good thread. I've been wondering if there could be some solid guidelines for this, since we sometimes recommend this idea but come up short on specifics.

Does anyone have pics of good or bad dress-shoes-with-jeans looks?

Personally, I like the look of a dress boot with a semi-slim to slim straight leg jean. I was looking at jeans on the Barneys website, and that's how they are showing a lot of them, and I think it stacks really nicely, sort of like Get Smart's Levis that he posted.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heres a few borrowed from the Satorialist...

right-Cuff.jpg

RLBlleeker.jpg

Englandmj7

Reaction score
Dress shoes look absolutely ridiculous with boot cut jeans.....if you wear a nice slim/non-chunky pair of dress shoes you certainly don't want to completely cover them up to the toe with your denim....unless you wear super tight t-shirts, have gelled spiky hair, and are named Rico, in that case, the said fit would be perfect.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads