1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Best tailored suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ilvangelo, Feb 1, 2004.

1. ilvangelo

ilvangelo Member

I had a hard time to narrow the ten choices down to those. I have decided to include 5 Italian tailors and 5 Saville Row ones. I know that others like Battistoni, Borreli, Chester Barrie, Henry Poole, Castangia and D'Avenza would probably make the list, but I could not include all of them.
    Any thoughts of others that could have made it are appreciated.

Yours,
    IlVangelo

2. offshore observer

offshore observer Active Member

3. banksmiranda

banksmiranda Well-Known Member

4. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Well-Known Member

I agree.  Add Oxxford to the list.

5. ilvangelo

ilvangelo Member

Can I edit the current poll or do I have to make a new one ?

6. Downtowner

Downtowner Active Member

Offshore Observer,

Regarding your comment about Ede & Ravenscroft: do you mean that they actually do not make their own suits or that they are not located on the Row? I went into the store last year while visiting a barrister friend of mine in London and it seemed to be a nice place (presumably frequented by the legal community in London). What is their quality like? Do they do bespoke or just MTM? Any clue as to prices? Just curious, as the American in me loved the idea of buying a suit from a place with such history (i.e., it is a famous wigmaker for barristers I believe). Thanks.

7. MPS

MPS Well-Known Member

Ede & Ravenscroft are primarily robemakers, and have been in operation since 1689 or so. They have a number of stores: Chancery Lane, Burlington Gardens (at the start of Savile Row), Cambridge, Oxford and Edinburgh spring to mind, but there may be one more in London. They offer RTW, MTM and bespoke suits. RTW suits cost about £500-600, MTM about £700 and bespoke about £2000. The RTW suits are great: I have two of them - one's a nice tweed 3 piece, and the other is a SB pinstripe city suit. If I were to go bespoke in the UK, I wouldn't head to Ede and Ravenscroft, however.

8. offshore observer

offshore observer Active Member

9. bestmastertailor

bestmastertailor Well-Known Member

Careceni=Campagia; and you left out oxxford and saint andrews.

10. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

IMHO the best RTW suit company right now is Attolini. Whereas, Kiton would seem to be the obvious choice, Attolini strikes me as better made, better deigned.

MTM and bespoke is another matter altogether, especially since each customer has a different experience regarding either one. Different strokes for different folks.

Jon.

11. krishanjagmohan

krishanjagmohan Member

12. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Well-Known Member

Depends on which Attolini line you're talking about.

13. imageWIS

(imageWIS @ 25 June 2004, 11:29) IMHO the best RTW suit company right now is Attolini. Whereas, Kiton would seem to be the obvious choice, Attolini strikes me as better made, better deigned. MTM and bespoke is another matter altogether, especially since each customer has a different experience regarding either one. Different strokes for different folks. Jon.
    Depends on which Attolini line you're talking about.
    I mean this Attolini: Cesare Attolini Out of curiosity, is Sartoria Attolini also part of Cesare Attolini? Attolini Jon.

14. imageWIS

Posted Twice, oops. [​IMG] Jon.

15. A Harris

A Harris Well-Known Member

Sartoria Attolini and Cesare Attolini are indeed produced by the same company. Word was that Cesare Attolini suits were custom only. But it seems that the Domenica Vacca store has confused that somewhat - aren't their suits labeled Cesare Attolini?

16. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Well-Known Member

Yes, the last time I checked they are.

koji