• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Suits under $500

A. Jones

Reaction score
I'd love to do this, except no Saks or RL store...
frown.gif

Maybe next time I take a trip to Dallas...

bigbris2

Reaction score
Polo by Corneliani. Best bang for buck. I own like 10 of them. Price averaged like $200 new.

PatriotsFan

Reaction score
You might want to check out "The Wizard of AAHS" on ebay. I got a Marco Valentino suit from for $280 shipped (dual vents, nice lightweight tropical wool, flat front pants, subtle pick stitching, half canvassed, athletic/slim fit).

I would easily categorize this suit as being in the same class as the Zegna's and Hickey Freeman suits I saw at the Barneys Outlet.

Another option worth considering are the "Benjamin" suits offered at www.ehaberdasher.com. They run around $500 and the suits actually have a full canvas construction from what I hear.

A. Jones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PatriotsFan
You might want to check out "The Wizard of AAHS" on ebay. I got a Marco Valentino suit from for $280 shipped (dual vents, nice lightweight tropical wool, flat front pants, subtle pick stitching, half canvassed, athletic/slim fit).

I would easily categorize this suit as being in the same class as the Zegna's and Hickey Freeman suits I saw at the Barneys Outlet.

Another option worth considering are the "Benjamin" suits offered at www.ehaberdasher.com. They run around $500 and the suits actually have a full canvas construction from what I hear.

Checked out ehaberdasher.com. That 'Benjamin" suit looks pretty cool. And inexpensive too... we may have a winner!

Bruiser

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but I have been very pleased with the Benjamin line of suits offered by ehaberdasher. I have two suits in the Maestro cut and they fit me very well. I have also received a lot of comments on the fit and quality of my Benjamin's from others. It's a lot of bang for your buck. You can't go wrong with a Benjamin.

Foxtrot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A. Jones
Honestly, this is what I'm leaning toward, despite SF's inexplicable contempt for JAB. And there is a store in the city, and I like being able to try on the suits.
I honestly don't think there is that much contempt for JAB here; the consensus seems to be that they are good for the money when on sale (which is 90% of the time).
I like the quality/value of the MVs, but the rise on the trousers is really low. I'm not sure it's a great choice for a larger gentleman.

bunnyoswaldo

Reaction score
The best suit for under $500 is a used suit. Figure your size range and wait...look here and on the bay. Find something well made, capable of bein altered....I bought a Borrelli off the bay for 500 bones including shipping.....spent $125 on a tailor and now I am golden

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oaw01
Tom Ford at Century 21

I hear the Century 21 in Oklahoma City rocks.

laughwithm3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steeze
Go try on a RLBL in 44L at Saks or a RL store. If it fits, there are a bunch on ebay last time I checked with buy it now prices around $500 or 600. Since you won't be paying tax cost will be the same as buying a $450-500 at retail. And you will be getting a beautiful, fully lined, fashion forward $1900 suit that is definitely SF approved. Provided it fits you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2150-Polo-Ralph-...ht_3409wt_1127

RLBL is slim cut, the 44L is more of a 42R/L, he probably needs to size up to 46L

just hang around B&S for a bit, larger sized suits usually go for relatively low when they show up

beowolf

Reaction score

+1 for the Wizard of AAHS suits. I ordered two suits, very well made for the price and great service. In fact, I thinking of buying another this week.

vincerich

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steeze
Go try on a RLBL in 44L at Saks or a RL store. If it fits, there are a bunch on ebay last time I checked with buy it now prices around $500 or 600. Since you won't be paying tax cost will be the same as buying a $450-500 at retail. And you will be getting a beautiful, fully lined, fashion forward $1900 suit that is definitely SF approved. Provided it fits you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2150-Polo-Ralph-...ht_3409wt_1127

Clearly, you don't know what he should be looking for.

Who has had experience with the "Benjamin" suit? I'm interested.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 6'2" and currently 200#. I find that most "slim fit" suits will not look good on a guy who has a good amount of muscle mass, broad shoulders, and fairly narrow waists. The shoulders and chest never fit correctly. Even sizing up to a 44 RLBL, it didn't look right.

I suggest going for something that is trim, such as Polo RL or E. Zegna, but not trendy slim. I find these to fit me perfectly in the shoulders, chest, bicep, and quad areas; however I HAVE to take them to my tailor to get the jacket suppressed at the waist and pants waist taken in (sometimes tapered at the hem too).

I do have a Wizard of Ahh's *EDIT* M Valentino suit which is actually pretty nice for the price. I find the fit to be similar to Polo RL.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads