1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best socks for winter

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by squelchy451, Oct 3, 2010.

1. pokpok

pokpok Senior member

jcrew camp socks look nice but they suck compared to smartwool mountaineering socks, very thick and soft with a lot of cushioning.

i bought a few pairs of northface hiking? socks, the thickest pair they offer. just as good as smartwool and cheaper. i found them at tjmaxx or marshalls for like 9 bux a pair.

2. sf2255

sf2255 New Member

I'm partial to merino wool camp/hiking socks. You can get them for about 1/5 the price of retail on ebay.

3. vivalet

vivalet Senior member

I like defeet socks. Their wool socks are very nice. I use them for skiing, but they could also be worn in the city.

http://www.defeet.com/

4. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

Problem with thick warm socks is you need to keep a pair of shoes/boots around that are sized +1. So annoying.

5. raven37457

raven37457 Senior member

Filson, Smartwool and Woolrich. All are made in the USA. I get Woolrich at Marshalls, Filson and Smartwool from Sierra Trading Post.

6. pseudonym

pseudonym Senior member

I just got a pair of Uniqlo Heattech socks that are super warm and comfy.

Definitely check them out (the sale ends today).

7. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

Keep it simple: buy Craftsman wool/thermal socks at Sears.

8. bye4now122

bye4now122 Senior member

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/a...9614/19614.jsp

love these camp socks from j crew.

These socks look good but they're not warm at all, they're mostly cotton.

I have a few pairs of smartwool socks which are great but in my opinion the best wool socks I've encountered are the Kirkland wool socks they sell at Costco. At Costco a pack of 3 or 4 is around $15 which is a steal. They're identical to the smartwool socks and I've had about 12 pairs last me regular wear over 4 or 5 years. They're machine washable and awesome.

They're 4 for $25 here, Costco will be cheaper but still worth it...

http://thesocksite.com/warm-merino-w...l?currency=USD