• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Selvedge Denim for the Middle Class?

Jd5016

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lesamourai
And you made this thread why?

Isn't the search for CHEAP a never ending journey? Should I be satisfied over paying for something if there is a near equal product at a much cheaper rate?

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jd5016
And so you are aware, my closet has NF, APC, 3Sixteen, J Crew, custom mades, Allen Edmonds, Crockett & Jones, boutique sneakers, and more. Chances are you'd be biting my style if you had a look.

Pics?

lesamourai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't the search for CHEAP a never ending journey? Should I be satisfied over paying for something if there is a near equal product at a much cheaper rate?

If there was something as cheap as GAP jeans with the quality of top brands don't you think there would have been a thread about it? Not to mention that there's already been threads espousing GAPs selvage and the Unbranded jeans.

Jd5016

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityHunter
Pics?
HAhaaa, really guy?! cmon. Thank you to all that had positive and informative input. I actually just got home from Tanger Outlets and scored a nice pair of NF Skinny Guy selvage at Barney's for a cool $80bucks after all discounts!

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HAhaaa, really guy?!
cmon.

Hey, if you're making a claim like that (referring to others biting your style after looking at what you own) then you should be able to back it up.

But on topic, you should look up Crate denim. Surprised that no one mentioned it yet. Unless they went under or something...used to be a SF fave for a minute way back when.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there is a brand (more like maker) called four stroke. it's the private label of a USA clothing factory that makes for some mall type labels, but they debuted this denim brand. i odnt like it but the price is good and they have multiple fabrics.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay so can we stop with the "whose is bigger" contest. Lol good thread so far.

Come on man I defend you and you go all ape on the other guy?!?! Do we need to see the school councilor?

Lol it's fairly common for undergrads to feel they can correct others and then end up making themselves look bad. I went through that stage, I think I'm out of it. Lol

Does anyone know of good outlets/stores and when to buy denim at discounted prices? In Houston that is.

SeanathonHuff

Reaction score
3sixteen, bai.
cool.gif

jimmyfingers

Reaction score
The title reads "Best Selvedge Denim for the Cheapos"

Unbranded- 40-80 dollars depending on the sales.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Are you kidding me, guy?! Should I tell you stick to Hyundai because you can't afford, and therefore must not be able to appreciate, a Bentley?? YOU must not understand business...the fact is that most high end producers, regardless of their product, mark up prices way beyond what they need to "stay in business". You think Gucci needs the high prices to stay in business?? You think ROY needs to charge $300 bucks PER PAIR to feed his family?? ARe you not aware of the liquid assets these guys/companies must have to even open a high end manufacturer??...If you get that then you must understand that no average Joe that is rubbing pennies together is in the business of high end manufacturing. These companies are built by people with independant or collective wealth. Gimme a break pal, get real. And so you are aware, my closet has NF, APC, 3Sixteen, J Crew, custom mades, Allen Edmonds, Crockett & Jones, boutique sneakers, and more. Chances are you'd be biting my style if you had a look. Lastly, yes I AM a college student and YES I DO work full time as well in order to afford myself the things I enjoy and build a work ethic that is more finely crafted than any garment of clothing you've ever had or will have. Good day. P.S: You capitalize the letter "I" when using it as a word to indicate one's self.
why are you repeating what i say? i said you dont understand business and your comeback (instead of saying you know what you are right) you say that i dont understand business? what kind of logic is that? and yes, i know clothing markups as well as margins and they are not as high as you think, at least with respect to the latter. they have a ton of variable and fixed costs they must pay. is the mark-up fair? well, it is all relative. is a lawyer charging $400/hour worth it? he or she has expenses to cover but according to your logic he or she should figure out his or her break-even and simply charge that. to hell with capitalism, right!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geez, settle down.

Let's get a few things straight. The first is that boutique denim companies are swimming in money. They are not. The low volume of product means that there is a lot more overhead per unit. Account for the higher price of the goods, both the materials and the make, the import tariffs, etc... and the retailer's markup, and you get a pretty spendy product.

Expensive is really the way to describe these types of products.

"Overpriced" is a value-laden word. You can also say that Walmart products are overpriced, for a variety of different reasons - since overpriced and expensive are not synonymous.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
45rpm - $750 million (66 billion JPY) in revenue - 54 stores in japan http://denimsandjeans.com/top-denim-...&country=Japan i didn't believe it but i checked the 45 rpm studio website and they really do have a ton of stores in japan. in america they have 2 stores in new york. but i can't argue that this is the norm.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You are not "overpaying" unless you are actually getting exactly the same product, just at a higher price, all other things equal. Even physically identical products are not worth the same, if a brand endorses one of the products, and the other is an illegally made piece of overstock.

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by El Argentino
Sadly, the OP's insistance on a mid-tier option is precisely the reason I love my PBJs and Momos... because people looking for "a deal" won't splurge on the good stuff.

I was arguing with a style-victim friend the other day about clothing prices:
why would I spend 100-200 for that hoodie, this one was 60 (overpriced) and I've gotten 10 years out of it.
Distributed cost. If your going to wear it obsessively, does it really make a difference if it averaged 6 dollars a year or 20. It should last longer than what you have but even if it doesn't your going to look a hell of a lot better in the process.

splurge! its worth it in the end.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics