Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Best polish for AE Strand in walnut calf?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by theriel, Oct 1, 2011.

1. theriel

theriel Member

Hello,
    Thank you all once again for your help in my previous crusade for a new pair of shoes. Ultimately I have decided to buy AE Strand in walnut calf. It seems, however, that it's only the beginning of my journey...

I have a question to all the owners of this pair of shoes or of any other shoes in the same colour... Which wax polish do you use? I am looking for the best colour match or slightly darker (to give the nice patina over time).

For black shoes I have very successfully used Saphir wax - but taking into account the multitude of brown shades I am totally lost...

Thank you for your time and help!

Best,
    Theriel

2. Shawl Lapel

Shawl Lapel Senior member

I just use the polish AE sells since I wasn't sure where to find something else that would match.

3. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

Same here. They had a sale on their site last month and I got the walnut polish, a cloth, brush, and shoe trees for about 39 bucks with shipping.

Edit: It's weird how much darker the color is on their site than in person.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011

4. CJG_NYC

CJG_NYC Senior member

Would anyone trust a shoe shine/cobbler shop to shine/condition the Strand's in Walnut?

I have a pair and I've been debating going there - I have them do my black Park Avenues and my burnished calf Fifth Avenues, but was unsure if I should go with Walnut color shoes.

Thoughts?

5. theriel

theriel Member

@Texastyle - IMO in real life the colour looks *much* nicer. But it is true - I was surprised when I saw them at the store!

@CJG_NYC:
    To be honest... I generally do not trust anyone to do the polishing/conditioning of my shoes. Firstly - I haven't come across anyone so trustworthy. Secondly - I try to use the top products (e.g. Saphir). I would worry that cobbler might want to decrease his operating costs by using sub-prime product. You might not see the difference initially - after some time you will. Thirdly - when I condition and/or polish the shoes I pay attention to the details and I know what exactly I am doing. I don't have this confidence regarding a cobbler...

Now, having said that - if there is (and I am sure there is) a really good cobbler who uses high quality products and who knows his stuff - I cannot see anything wrong with regularly using his services. Keep in mind, though, that "simple" black shoes are more forgiving in short-term than Walnut shoes with broguing...