• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best place to buy loose Tea in NYC?

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where is the best place in midtown/downtown nyc to buy loose tea (not in a tea bag)? I would like the really good quality tea.... Are there any specialty tea shops or anything? Is Porto Rico a good option?

Thanks very much

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Alice's tea cup, 64th and Lex. It's mostly a resaurant, but they have a massive tea menu and most are available loose. They also have a case of scones to go, I'd pick one up as they are devine.

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
Alice's tea cup, 64th and Lex. It's mostly a resaurant, but they have a massive tea menu and most are available loose. They also have a case of scones to go, I'd pick one up as they are devine.

+1 for Alice's. Great brunch on weekends. Smoked Salmon Benedict on a scone is superb!

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what happened to your coffee quest?
confused.gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adambparker
+1 for Alice's. Great brunch on weekends. Smoked Salmon Benedict on a scone is superb!

damn it that's good. I get it on a ham and cheese scone, and then I get comatose after.

Also, try the sausage sometime, it's like a chicken base with a bit of sweetness. A touch of heaven on earth. My girlfriend ordered the "light fare" soup and salad, and the french onion soup was spectacular.

On the tea topic, I actually have come to really like their house tea, it's a base of black tea, a hint of vanilla, and some rose petals which add just a touch of flavor and aroma. It's certainly a far cry from the usual black tar style coffee I like, but what an interesting blend. Their tea menu is pages and pages long, quite the impressive selection.

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
what happened to your coffee quest?
confused.gif

I drink both coffee and tea. Depends on the time of day.

You guys gave me the most fantastic suggestions for coffee (thanks very much for that)... so i wanted to extend my search to tea suggestions.

Ideally... I drink tea while at work and coffee in the morning and at night (when I do my school work).

I work full time and go to grad school at night so my life requires a consistent supply of caffeine.

Regards
decisions.gif

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Places like Dean and Deluca and Balduccis, as well as a surprising number of those sort of neighborhood coffee stores will have Mariage Freres teas, which are quite good. Dean and Deluca et all don't have much of a selection of more esoteric teas, though. However I really think Mariage Freres doesn't compromise any quality despite its availability, and they have a pretty broad range of styles to choose from and explore.

Just make sure that you don't accidentally get the bags. I mean obviously they're much better than most teabags, but still.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know it's not NYC, but they have a web site, and they are one of my favorite tea shops in the country. Red Blossom Tea Company in San Francisco, they are in Chinatown right on Grant Ave. Really nice shop with knowledgeable folks to talk to if you are in SF.

redblossomtea.com

madbulk

Reaction score
Go a little further... McNulty's Tea & Coffee Company (212) 242-5351 109 Christopher St N.Y.C. http://www.mcnultys.com/ I used to go there to get the makin's for that stuff Aveda offers you for like 50 bucks a pound.

ljowery

Reaction score
I’ve recently been drinking organic loose teas because I eat all organic produce, so why not drink organic tea, too?

I found a place called LeafSpa.

I prefer to order online, since I work crazy hours!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads