• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best OTC Socks

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what does OTC stand for

Over the counter.

I only do bespoke. I have a shepherd in the Accursed Mountains of northern Albania make all of my socks. He's got the pattern down pretty well but the flights for the basted fittings are a pain. I hope that he starts to travel abroad.

rusticchasm

Reaction score
Over the counter.

I only do bespoke. I have a shepherd in the Accursed Mountains of northern Albania make all of my socks. He's got the pattern down pretty well but the flights for the basted fittings are a pain. I hope that he starts to travel abroad.

Yea- I'm familiar with it as over-the-counter but that didn't make sense contextually.. I also guessed off-the-cuff but that was even worse...

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea- I'm familiar with it as over-the-counter but that didn't make sense contextually.. I also guessed off-the-cuff but that was even worse...
Clearly it’s sarcasm

Jaggery

Reaction score
In my experience with wool/nylon blends, Pantherella (from Sierra Trading Post, 70% merino) have held up better than 90% wool socks (from Berg & Berg, elegant designs, evidently made Bresciani). Perhaps the higher nylon content, if unholy to purists, also helps keep the socks un-holey.

Last edited:

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clearly it’s sarcasm
Of course. I was just goofing around. In this context it is obviously over-the-calf.
And my vote goes for Bresciani for wool, hemp and linen. I don't have any cotton socks that are not for sports.

mactire

Reaction score
Having tried Bresciani, Falke and others it would have to be the heavy winter weight from Viccel, outperforms them all. As others have said, I would like different patterns etc.

P12OFIT

Reaction score
Pantherella -- the less wool (i.e. 70% vs 90%) the more durable and cheaper.

BenjaminZeev

Reaction score
Of Bresciani, Gammarelli, and Mazarin socks, they are all good. You can get them at www.meschaussettesrouges.com, which also has a wonderful little shop in Paris. I've had about 15 pair of Viccel and they are nowhere near as nice feeling and I have found Viccel to have quality issues (though I haven't gotten socks from them in 5 years)

txm22

Reaction score

refinery

Reaction score
I purchased a few pair of the 100% merino socks after you posted this. As I'm only on my first wear, I can't attest to their durability, but they feel every bit as nice as the wool socks I've had from Pantherella. I will be buying more.
How are they holding up after a few months? Still worth the investment?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads