• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Indian Restaurant in London?

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chutney's location in central Oxford is great, but the current decor is too white and bright for me. The service has been severely lacking, and the food was useless. It's not going to make you physically ill or anything, but there are much better options for Indian or dining in general in Oxford.

K

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
...the food was useless. It's not going to make you physically ill or anything...

That's my criterion for a curry joint, too.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
That's my criterion for a curry joint, too.

Haha. You laugh, but thats generally my criterion for a late night Turkish Kebab after a night out partying. I know that the taste is irrelevant at that point, its about whether I am going to feel ill in the morning.

K

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Haha. You laugh, but thats generally my criterion for a late night Turkish Kebab after a night out partying. I know that the taste is irrelevant at that point, its about whether I am going to feel ill in the morning.

K

I used the same criterion on kebab vans... and somehow still occasionally ended up at Medhi's
frown.gif

Still, better than the one on George street. (horrid & revisits you at least once later on...)

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
I used the same criterion on kebab vans... and somehow still occasionally ended up at Medhi's
frown.gif

Still, better than the one on George street. (horrid & revisits you at least once later on...)

My go-to were the two on St Giles if only because they were on the way home. In a pinch I would hit up Kebab Kid or the chicken place on Glouscter Green.

Man, its been less than a year since I left OX and already I'm getting nostalgic for Pierre Victoires, Hi-Lo, Jude the Obscure, etc... Not because the food was that good, but because it was a hell of a good time.

Which area do you live in? I was in Jericho.

K

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ohh, and I was up a couple of weeks ago and saw that they are upgrading George St. Yates' and the Cock & Camel are gone, and there is a new Jamie Oliver and something else coming up!

K

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ohh, and I was up a couple of weeks ago and saw that they are upgrading George St. Yates' and the Cock & Camel are gone, and there is a new Jamie Oliver and something else coming up!

The new Jamie Oliver isn't that great. It's intended as a pilot for a wider chain and you already get the "chain restuarant" vibe from it, esp. the slighly cheesy decor and subtle cost-cutting little practices they use. Also, the maitress d' was totally out of her depth the time I visited. Food is so-so, but the (very busy) atmosphere is half-tourists, half-trying-too-hard. Not my sort of place.

Man, its been less than a year since I left OX and already I'm getting nostalgic for Pierre Victoires, Hi-Lo, Jude the Obscure, etc... Not because the food was that good, but because it was a hell of a good time.
Everyone comes back to Oxford eventually.
smile.gif

I only managed a year away before I returned. Been living here in total over 12 years now... and I've still never dared go to Hi-Lo!

Living here with a decent salary is a totally different gastro experience to student living here. There are a fair few good restaurants around at just a little above typical student prices. Happy to provide a list if anyone ever needs it!

Which area do you live in?
Lived all over at various times - Turl Street, St John's Street, Headington, Littlemore, etc.

One day - Norham Gardens...
devil.gif

Sorry for going off-topic with this thread, by the way!
smile.gif

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
The new Jamie Oliver isn't that great. It's intended as a pilot for a wider chain and you already get the "chain restuarant" vibe from it, esp. the slighly cheesy decor and subtle cost-cutting little practices they use. Also, the maitress d' was totally out of her depth the time I visited. Food is so-so, but the (very busy) atmosphere is half-tourists, half-trying-too-hard. Not my sort of place.

Everyone comes back to Oxford eventually.
smile.gif

I only managed a year away before I returned. Been living here in total over 12 years now... and I've still never dared go to Hi-Lo!

Living here with a decent salary is a totally different gastro experience to student living here. There are a fair few good restaurants around at just a little above typical student prices. Happy to provide a list if anyone ever needs it!

Lived all over at various times - Turl Street, St John's Street, Headington, Littlemore, etc.

One day - Norham Gardens...
devil.gif

Sorry for going off-topic with this thread, by the way!
smile.gif

Hi-Lo is a wreck, the service is a total clusterfuck, and there is an old rastafarian with long dreads who just spends his time wandering around and drinking rum or Red Stripe with the undergrads who hang out there. I used to love it!!!

I probably head up to OX every month or so, but I guess I like to go back to my favourite haunts rather than looking for something new. We walked by the Jamie Oliver place, but it had a 20 meter line out the door at 6:30. I wasn't that impressed with Fifteen, so its not like I was dying to catch this one. I'll hit you up for those recommendations if I ever need somewhere nicer to go.

A couple I always liked were Branca and Fishes (out in N. Hinksey)

K - (also sorry for going off topic)

Bouji

Reaction score
Hey! Bouji is back!

Yeah, Khan's I'm not knowledgeable about. Have you tried Tayyabs in Whitechapel I went a couple of weeks ago. Damn it was good!!

K

Thanks for the welcome!

I have not been to Tayyabs, must try it!

Arman

Reaction score
I have not been to London, but my wife's uncle owns The Star of Bombay in Notting Hill. I have not eaten there, so GOOD LUCK!!
smile.gif

mr. contact

Reaction score
raj's tiger den, or try nything with a buffet, cuz out of 30 choices, i only like 3 or 4, others have wierd spices

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads