• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Cobblers in Washington, DC Metro Area?

actionjbone

Reaction score
I've been going to Nick's Shoe Repair in Rockville, MD, and Alan (Nick's son, 2nd generation) seems to know his stuff for leather care and does a great job with most repairs.

However, I feel like he's limited in some ways. E.g., I recently tried to ask him about Dainite soles for a resole, but he steered me toward regular Vibram. I'm not sure why, but it's obvious he doesn't get many customers who ask about custom work.

Also, he doesn't seem to know shell care as well as other leathers. (Probably because he gets so few pairs.)

Anyone have recommendations of places I should check out? I don't mind a bit of a drive.

actionjbone

Reaction score
This is easy: Sky Valet or AH One Shoes.
A quick search shows both are shoe sellers. Do they do repairs on-premesis? Neither one's website mentions much about repairs.

George's Shoe Repair  

8709 Lee Hwy, Fairfax, VA 22031

The reviews look great. Have you had shell pairs resoled there?

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A quick search shows both are shoe sellers. Do they do repairs on-premesis? Neither one's website mentions much about repairs.

The reviews look great. Have you had shell pairs resoled there?

Aram at ah one does repairs. Sky valet used to for sure but may only do repairs for existing customers.

If you’re looking at repair Alden’s, aram at ah one works with Alden regularly. Last time I was in there he had a pair from Alden in DC that they had subcontracted out to him to repair for a customer. You can tell by the shoes he sells (g&g & Alden) that he works with high quality shoes. He used to work at sky valet. I trust him to install sunken toe plates on my g&gs regularly.

actionjbone

Reaction score
Aram at ah one does repairs. Sky valet used to for sure but may only do repairs for existing customers.

If you’re looking at repair Alden’s, aram at ah one works with Alden regularly. Last time I was in there he had a pair from Alden in DC that they had subcontracted out to him to repair for a customer. You can tell by the shoes he sells (g&g & Alden) that he works with high quality shoes. He used to work at sky valet. I trust him to install sunken toe plates on my g&gs regularly.
Ah. The ones I want resoled are Barrie, a defunct premium seller from New Haven.

They're a custom pair of shell made by Cheaney, and I'm also thinking of getting the midstep widened slightly. Which is why I'm asking about someone with all the equipment in-house.

Patek14

Reaction score
My understanding is that the owners of Sky Valet are also excellent cobblers. However, they have so much work that they only work on shoes they sell. [Edit - lol AH One is owned by Sky Valet's owner brother. Didnt realize they split with separate names]

I have NEVER used this company listed below but they have a LOT of youtube videos. They are in Falls Church. From watching their work, it appears excellent -

http://bedosleather.com/

Last edited:
Reaction score
Based on a 10 year old recommendation on here, I had a pair of Alden cap-toes recently resoled at Fortuna’s in Bethesda. The person taking in the shoes was very impressed with my shine and maintenance regimen which indicated that they do know quality (and that he knows how to stroke my ego!). He went over the options (cant remember if they offered Dainite, though), and I went with straightforward half sole and heel. Picked it up a week later, am very impressed with the work. $90, which is more than I paid last time in Central New Jersey but certainly less than Alden.

I will be back for future work when needed.

Bonus: located in downtown Bethesda, they are across the street from Dog Haus Biergarten (best burgers in the region) and a block or so away from Moby Dick’s (Afghanistan cuisine)!

7835 Woodmont Ave. Bethesda, MD 20814 * (301) 654-2533

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads