• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Budget Suit Purchase (Wizard of Ahhs vs. Used ebay)

armstwa

Reaction score
New Member here. As stated in my dress shirt post, looking to expand business wardrobe. Recent graduate on a tight budget. I'm slimmer and in between on a lot of suit sizes (36 (hitting the gym has made these tight), 37, 38, often shorts sometimes regular).

I have seen talk of the M. Valentino Wizard of Ahhs suits. Would I be best purchasing one of those or something used off of ebay (ex. Hickey Freeman)?

What about Benjamin suit from eHaberdasher?

Any opinions appreciated.

Thanks.

PatriotsFan

Reaction score
Having first hand experience with all three brands listed, I would like to say they're all good options for suits under $500.

- Marco Valentino Suit - I'm really happy with my purchases from Jeff. Lucky for me, his suits fit me pretty well off the bat (slim fitting suit pants, suit jacket fits relatively slim as well...very similar fit as the zegna's I tried on at the Barneys outlet). In terms of fabric, the suit felt very similar to Hickey Freeman/Zegna. With minor alterations, I paid a total of $350 for this suit.

- Benjamin Maestro Suit - The fabric and the construction of the suit was really nice (had a nice drape and sheen). Based off the site's measurements, I went with a 42S. It fit decently well, but I had the impression that the tailoring costs would have cost approx $100-150. The 40S M. Valentino suit fit me better since it had wider shoulders and a smaller waist on the jacket (a 40S Benjamin suit would be too narrow in the shoulders and chest). If I were to keep the suit, the total costs including alterations would probably be around $650-$675 (double the price of a MV suit). If your budget is more forgiving, then this could be a solid choice if your measurements are close to what's posted on their website. I also believe the fabric is a tad nicer than the MV suit.

-Hickey Freeman Suit (from Barneys Outlet- not sure the line) - I saw a barneys suit in a 40S that fit me pretty well OTR (Slim Silhouette, full canvas construction, dual vents). The price was around $500, but I didn't particularly care for the pinstripes on the suit. If you find a pattern you like, then go for it.

If you are going to purchase a suit online, make sure you know your measurements - both the MV and Benjamin suits have measurements posted on their website (both also have good return policies). I'd suggest you check out a few places like Syms/Barneys Outlet/Saks Outlet/Nordstrom Rack and try on a few suits first before you decide to order online.

JTA

Reaction score
Marco Valentino (half canvassed) is a good workhorse suit. Fits trim.
Never had a first hand opportunity with Baroni however from what I heard it is also nice and does not have fusing at all. Maybe you can try sizing down to get the desired slim fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads