• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

clothingfun

Reaction score
Hello again all. I own many many Western shirts. However, I have spent my whole life living in the rural West where wearing them is regular and everyday common clothing as opposed to a style or fashion type of statement (for lack of better terms on all this.)

I honestly don't see the point in having one made bespoke. I don't see them as that type of clothing. It's supposed to look slightly frumpy! However, to each his own. If bespoke is what you want then go for it and enjoy!

My bespoke shirts I have made by Anto. I have seen the Western shirts they have made for other clients and they look great. Might be worth looking into if you're serious about pursuing this.The downside however is their stuff is pretty expensive.

Lastly, there is a business (I think they are still around) called Cumberland Outfitters and I love their stuff. Great looking, well made Western wear that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Certainly not bespoke and made overseas, mostly in China I believe, but that doesn't bother me. I have quite a few of their shirts and will continue to buy them as I think they offer a lot of handsome looking bang for the buck.

Thought I would share one. Hope this helps a little and good luck.

IMG_8373.JPG

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I wonder who Ben Shapiro uses.
1622581372958.png

In a way, Foo is like the Ben Shapiro or Jordan Peterson of the fora, destroying those who disagree with facts and logic.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is today really June 1, and not April 1? :puzzled:

Not judging OP, but I agree that working with a French bespoke dress shirt company to make you an American Western denim shirt sounds sort of comical, and seeking the same fit as you'd seek for a $600+ formal shirt seems to be somewhat at odds with the nature of denim.
I dunno...it might just be a matter of negotiating with the appropriate cultural deftness, esp. since he has already at least once convinced a renowned French maker to do something custom just for him.

Just like "a Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it Le Big Mac" over there, I bet if Foo hoked right on in to Charvet and said, "Hey, J-C, how ya doin'? I want you to make me a Le Bespoke Western Shirt..." they'd take his greenbacks in a New York minute, and do him up dang right at it, too....

UrbanFooboy.jpg

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
200.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is today really June 1, and not April 1? :puzzled:

I dunno...it might just be a matter of negotiating with the appropriate cultural deftness, esp. since he has already at least once convinced a renowned French maker to do something custom just for him.

Just like "a Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it Le Big Mac" over there, I bet if Foo hoked right on in to Charvet and said, "Hey, J-C, how ya doin'? I want you to make me a Le Bespoke Western Shirt..." they'd take his greenbacks in a New York minute, and do him up dang right at it, too....

View attachment 1618891

Well, they didn’t say no. Actually, much closer to yes: they specifically said the yoke and pocket detailing are no problem and that they could send me swatches of denim-like shirting to make it in. The issue is that they don’t have actual denim and generally do not do CMT. However, they also know I tend to order shirts in quantities of 10, so they are looking into making an exception.

In other words: Charvet will make a western shirt. It might just not be as I want.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Btw, here is the Celine version, made in Japan:

3E18053F-76C7-4657-A1C9-555855D6C48C.jpeg

2A0008DF-EC0A-4546-84AE-C17F2653E6DD.jpeg

If anything like the SLP version, it will fit well except need the hem shortened by an inch or so.

Can I take any comfort that it’s made in Japan, with respect to the denim quality?

Price is $640.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Btw, here is the Celine version, made in Japan:

View attachment 1618916
View attachment 1618917

If anything like the SLP version, it will fit well except need the hem shortened by an inch or so.

Can I take any comfort that it’s made in Japan, with respect to the denim quality?

Price is $640.

I'm sure the "quality" is fine. Personally not into that wash. Pockets also look too far apart.

A lot of Hedi's menswear looks like a rip of high street looks. To me, that shirt is no different.

If you want fabric, Huston makes raw denim fabric. Fabric is woven in California on restored Draper shuttle looms. I ordered some swatches and the material feels like shirting to me.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm sure the "quality" is fine. Personally not into that wash. Pockets also look too far apart.

A lot of Hedi's menswear looks like a rip of high street looks. To me, that shirt is no different.

If you want fabric, Huston makes raw denim fabric. Fabric is woven in California on restored Draper shuttle looms. I ordered some swatches and the material feels like shirting to me.

Looks like Huston’s denim is sulphur dyed, not indigo. :(

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads