• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke Shoes From Koronya In Budapest – Part 2, Test Shoe

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fabro
The first thing that struck me when I put this pair on was the lacing. The quarters actually closed. This was the one of the a-ha bespoke moments I was looking for. Think about it: on all your RTW shoes, there is always a gap to accommodate different people's feet. On some shoes it's wide, on some it's narrow. Here there is no need for any gap; the quarters can touch perfectly and deliver just the right tightness throughout the shoe.
A word of warning, I would be very careful. Shoe quarters have the tendency to stretch. That permanent raising of the foot sees to that. If they already now fit edge to edge, then you have no-where to. You might well end up with quarter, that, even laced at it's tightest, have a gap underneath. Then you'll have to revert to tongue pads and similar stuff,. Of course those crutches go totally against the concept of "bespoke" = correct fit.

You want to be able to correct the lacing, on hot days you want it looser, on cold days snugger. If the shoe is walked-in (and you want them closely laced) you should aim for 5mm, then you can close them tighter if you need to. Which means now, aim for a gap of 10mm.

They will come closer with time.

Fabro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
A word of warning, I would be very careful. Shoe quarters have the tendency to stretch. That permanent raising of the foot sees to that. If they already now fit edge to edge, then you have no-where to. You might well end up with quarter, that, even laced at it's tightest, have a gap underneath. Then you'll have to revert to tongue pads and similar stuff,. Of course those crutches go totally against the concept of "bespoke" = correct fit.

You want to be able to correct the lacing, on hot days you want it looser, on cold days snugger. If the shoe is walked-in (and you want them closely laced) you should aim for 5mm, then you can close them tighter if you need to. Which means now, aim for a gap of 10mm.

They will come closer with time.

A very good point and one that I was concerned about myself. I actually took a number of pictures of the shoes laced on and sent them to Marcell so that he could consider this very issue. That is the nice thing about having the test shoe made--it gives a chance to make adjustments to the last if necessary.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. This has been a good project.

By the way, here is a picture of the inside of one of the shoes, showing the lining.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great post. I can't wait to see the final shoe.

the.chikor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fabro
The real test though was wear. They should just fit. The Koronya's don't have any magic in them; they simply fit. I could easily walk across town on the day I received them.
Bottom line: am I happy with what I have so far? Yes. Absolutely. No question about it.

And this is what matters most. Thanks for sharing.
smile.gif

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Fabro - Did you get your completed shoes yet?

why4009

Reaction score
Bump. Do you have pics of the final shoes?

Thanks. This is truly a bespoke process vs. my experience in HK.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads