• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke Seersucker

blnee

Reaction score
The threads that I read about seersucker don't suggest that it is bespoke. Will tailors make a bespoke seersucker suit? Is it not supposed to be tailored because of its "free flowing" deconstructed nature? I like the seersucker look and fabric but I have a body type that is very athletic and looks "dumb" when not tailored.

new obsession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blnee
The threads that I read about seersucker don't suggest that it is bespoke. Will tailors make a bespoke seersucker suit? Is it not supposed to be tailored because of its "free flowing" deconstructed nature? I like the seersucker look and fabric but I have a body type that is very athletic and looks "dumb" when not tailored.

+1 but I don't fancy speding those $$ for something I view as a novelty.

turnerxce

Reaction score
Honestly, a seersucker suit is largely "disposable" compared to most other suits. If you wear it frequently, even if only seasonally, it's really not going to last more than a couple of years due to the material and construction. Going bespoke on such a thing seems like an awful waste of money.

For an athletic build, go with seersuckers available in separates. You can make sure the pants fit, then get the coat tailored however you want.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turnerxce
For an athletic build, go with seersuckers available in separates. You can make sure the pants fit, then get the coat tailored however you want.

This is really good advice. You could also just buy two suits and get rid of the extra pieces on here on on ebay, since seersucker is fine broken apart like that. What is a haspel suit on discount? $100-$200?

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score

Yes, either a bespoke tailor or MTM firm will make a seersucker garment. E.g., a friend has a seersucker sportscoat from Davies & Son.

I have a seersucker MTM.

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
In Raphaels shop I have seen seersucker material in a book, so Im sure you can have the best bespoke ss that money can buy.

That said, my feelings echo most of the others here - why pay $4000 for a carefree, seldom worn novelty suit? One of the things I like about seersucker and madras is that the pattern is so in your face it kind of makes you forget about perfect fit. Put on a blue shirt, some pink socks, a pink tie, stick your hands in your pockets, leave it unbuttoned, and let the wind blow everything around. To me that is the essense of seersucker. Not a perfect drape or military waist.

blnee

Reaction score
I don't seek the most uniform and constructed fit. However, I want something that flatters my shape. If I am going to wear a 36 waist pant with a 46 chest I need some kind of waisted fit. Otherwise I look like a sailboat. A MTM option would be nice.

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
I don't seek the most uniform and constructed fit. However, I want something that flatters my shape. If I am going to wear a 36 waist pant with a 46 chest I need some kind of waisted fit. Otherwise I look like a sailboat. A MTM option would be nice.

Perhaps separates from somewhere?

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was actually just inquiring about the same thing at my tailors yesterday. He has a couple books with a number of seersucker fabrics in cotton and cotton/polyester blends. He would charge me $800 for a bespoke suit. In my opinion its just not worth the money. I just bought the one on BB for $350 and will just take it to him to alter.

blnee

Reaction score
I like the idea of seperates. Are all seersuckers similar enough in material and stripe width to go together? I am assuming the colors also would match? Who sells seperates? It didn't appear that BB or Haspel did but maybe I am wrong. To throw a wrench in the works I am also quite tall and would need a Long jacket and a long inseam in a pant.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turnerxce
a seersucker suit is largely "disposable"..... If you wear it frequently, even if only seasonally, it's really not going to last more than a couple of years due to the material and construction.

Disposable? I don't know your definition of frequently but I have two 10 year old SS suits that each get around twenty wearings a year and they're still going strong.

new obsession

Reaction score
I like the idea of seperates. Are all seersuckers similar enough in material and stripe width to go together? I am assuming the colors also would match? Who sells seperates? It didn't appear that BB or Haspel did but maybe I am wrong. To throw a wrench in the works I am also quite tall and would need a Long jacket and a long inseam in a pant.

Filene's sells the Haspel's as separates. See http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=34391

turnerxce

Reaction score

Well, when I said separates, I meant from the same brand because seersucker fabrics vary as widely as any other fabric. JAB and LE both offer affordable separates. J Crew sell separates. Haspel is sold pretty widely at retail (at least in the SE), so you could probably special order through a Haspel retailer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads