• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke for the First Time - My Hong Kong Experience

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really agree with you, in terms of how you describe the different styles, especially British vs. Italian. However thanks for sharing with us.

-LR

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Great suits for the price - the pants seemed a little bit too small for my taste - see the bunching across the tights !

HanzSolo

Reaction score
In addition to the inaccurate description of the 3 different suit styles, I think what is perhaps more important to point out is the difference between true BESPOKE and MTM.

Granted the suits look good -for the money-.... I would definitely not say you got bespoke suits made here.

Some of the reviewers have already pointed out the commong tell-tale mistakes spotted in MTM.

But otherwise, for the price, i think you definitely got some good value there. Please post some more pics if you can. I live in HK and might pay WC&S a visit myself....of course i'll leverage the drawbacks pointed out on this post and see if they can be addressed up front
smile.gif

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ljrcustom
I don't really agree with you, in terms of how you describe the different styles, especially British vs. Italian. However thanks for sharing with us.

-LR

+1

That being said, you've got a pretty decent suit for the price there. Well done.

HanzSolo

Reaction score
I visited William Cheng and Son after your post. Unfortunately, the prices you quote on your blog are not what "Sandy" quoted me.

Here is what they current offer suits for:
Loro Piana 4 seasons: $4800 HKD ($620 USD vs. what your blog states $450 USD)
Zegna Tropical: $6800 HKD ($877 USD vs. what your blog states $550 USD)
Vitale Barberis: $4200 HKD ($542 USD vs what your blog states $350 USD)

(I am assuming USD, please correct me if i'm wrong)

I asked if I can get a "bulk discount" if i ordered 4 or more suits, and they would not budge -at all. I also asked if they just recently raised their prices in the last 2-3 months, and they said their prices have been the same for the last year.

I also reviewed the "canvassing" and Sandy mentioned they are fully glued. No "partial" canvassing.

I feel like the place you blogged about and the place I went to were completely different.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HanzSolo
I visited William Cheng and Son after your post. Unfortunately, the prices you quote on your blog are not what "Sandy" quoted me.

I asked if I can get a "bulk discount" if i ordered 4 or more suits, and they would not budge -at all. I also asked if they just recently raised their prices in the last 2-3 months, and they said their prices have been the same for the last year.

I also reviewed the "canvassing" and Sandy mentioned they are fully glued. No "partial" canvassing.

I feel like the place you blogged about and the place I went to were completely different.

Has the OP merely published an advertisement then rather than a genuine report?

bkarmstrong

Reaction score
I admit, my prices may not have been spot on. They could have even been slightly underestimated. I did not received an itemized receipt from WC&S, so the prices I quoted were from memory a month after the fact. However, the prices you paid were not the same that I paid. You probably paid at least $100 USD more for each suit than what I paid. Even though he says he didn't raise his prices recently, he still may have. You would also have to look at the conversion rates and how they differed when I went versus when you went. That being said, I will update the prices on my blog to reflect the Hong Kong dollar price that you listed so that this is not a problem in the future.

As far as the floating canvas, that was something I specifically asked about via email prior to choosing WC&S. I felt reassured seeing the stiching underneath the lapel that the breasts were partially canvassed (not glued), but if he told you something different, then I have to accept that. However, I am very happy with the construction, movement, and fit of my suits.

bkarmstrong

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HanzSolo

By the way, thanks for your comment HanzSolo. I posted the blog to be as helpful as possible to those about to partake in the process, so I do want the info to be as accurate. Sorry you feel mislead.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkarmstrong
By the way, thanks for your comment HanzSolo. I posted the blog to be as helpful as possible to those about to partake in the process, so I do want the info to be as accurate. Sorry you feel mislead.

the prices seems to be way off though.

ewc

Reaction score
FWIW, I went to Cheng's in December last year and was charged HK$5400 for two suits made from what I assume is the cheapiest of cheapy cloths - Royaltex (Indian? Mink, cashmere, wool) and Royal Club (Huddersfield, super 150s mink, cashmere, wool). I guess you could extrapolate upwards for name-brand cloth?

Not sure about fusing/canvassing. Doing the pinch test above the breast pocket, I can separate a layer, but I suspect I might just be pulling apart the fused layer. Feels a bit like pulling sticky tape off a carpeted floor.

And I thought Cheng's was MTM, not bespoke.

Edit: that really wasn't as helpful a post as I thought it would be.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads