• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belts

nycguy

Reaction score
It seems as if belts are hardly touched upon on this forum (at least not nearly as much as shoes, ties, etc.). Is that because there is less of a difference among belt brands, so long as you match your belt to your shoe?

If anybody disagrees, is there a belt brand you'd recommend?

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nycguy
It seems as if belts are hardly touched upon on this forum (at least not nearly as much as shoes, ties, etc.). Is that because there is less of a difference among belt brands, so long as you match your belt to your shoe?

If anybody disagrees, is there a belt brand you'd recommend?

I think that there's a lot that can be said about belts. Differences in buckle shape, size, and color, width of strap, color of strap, whether the leather is plain or patterned, drop-edged or not and with or without edge stitching, and other characteristics all establish the belt's suitability and effectiveness in a particular ensemble.

For wear with a suit I prefer the following characteristics: buckle that is relatively small, rectangular, of a "skeleton" form (i.e., just the edges of the rectangle, not filled in the center), of the same color as my jewelry (watch, cufflinks, and tie clasp), strap 1 1/8"-wide (this should be governed by one's height; I'm 6 ft. even), domed, plain, of a color approximately that of my shoes (perhaps a little lighter or darker, but the same basic color, e.g., brown), with a stitched drop edge, and with double leather (not metal) keepers. A good example is the Allen-Edmonds Basic Dress Belt shown below:

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/620124/c/8609.html

As for brands, I like Allen-Edmonds, Crookhorn (who at one time made the A-E belts and may still do so), Trafalgar, and Zegna (which are a little wider, but very nice). Belts are always available in large numbers on eBay, where you'll find prices half of retail or less.

The guy we really need to come on here is Meaculpa; this guy's an expert in belts and can clue us in to some more subtle details.
smile.gif

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some people put very little thought into their choice of a belt while others.......................

Shoes097.jpg

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there terminology that distinguishes buckles where the leather attaches to the outer edge of the rectangle, as opposed to those where the leather attaches to a vertical post that bisects the rectangle? Do you know what I mean?

Edit:

vs.

Is one considered dressier than the other?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Standard or heal bar

Center bar

While both styles can be dressed up or down, depending on design and materials, the standard bar is the more common choice for a dress buckle.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Danke!

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been impressed with belts from Paul Stuart (www.paulstuart.com) and Robert Talbott. I've got a couple from Delonghi that seem to be well-made too. Trafalgar belts seem to get alot of press and mention (and I'm wearing one today), but I don't think they are much above middle-of-the-road.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I hate belts. With suits, anyhow. I prefer buckled Daks tops. If I wear anything with khakis it's usually a navy web belt. Comfortable, fully adjustable (since no notches in regular belts seem to be my exact size), and has an understated elegance. I currently have only a D-ring type one, but I'm looking into getting one with a silver or brass buckle and tip.

royal618

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "buckled Daks top"? Something akin to what some people call "side tabs", or something entirely different?

I'd say so. Only having ever heard the former term, but the latter term is perfectly descriptive for what they are.

I've just about given up on finding the right match for a red-brown pair of shoes I own. Any suggestions on what one should do when you've exhausted your initial options, or what to do when you can't find a close match - or perhaps I'm overly fussy.
crazy.gif

gza

Reaction score
Originally Posted by royal618
I've just about given up on finding the right match for a red-brown pair of shoes I own. Any suggestions on what one should do when you've exhausted your initial options, or what to do when you can't find a close match - or perhaps I'm overly fussy.
crazy.gif

Perhaps you could start with a belt in a reasonably close shade, and then begin polishing it with the same wax/cream you use on the shoes. Or even just apply a red polish to a brown belt.

misterjase

Reaction score
hear hear. suits are not best with braces. braces are for fogies.

what do people prefer so far as material for buckle is concerned?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads