• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belt loops to Side Adjuster Conversion Question

Dmanf51

Reaction score
I am converting a belted pair of pants to side tabs. Would anyone know where I could find the hardware for the side tabs? I went to some fabric stores but they don't seem to have anything comparable to the picture below.

Also for anyone who has done this, what are your thoughts leaving the front pant button exposed? My RLBL suits come with side tabs and they have the finished waistband, so they don't have this issue but given this is a conversion there is no way to replicate that.

Last edited:

Dmanf51

Reaction score
Thank you very much! Greatly appreciated as they are the first I have spoken with who have them.

nevaeh

Reaction score
My apologies for restarting an old thread. Does anyone here know of tailors in Chicago who are able to convert pants from belt loops to side tabs? I’ll appreciate your recommendations!

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My apologies for restarting an old thread. Does anyone here know of tailors in Chicago who are able to convert pants from belt loops to side tabs? I’ll appreciate your recommendations!
Do you have cloth to make the side straps with? You need the cloth to make them or it can’t happen. The buckles are called D rings

nevaeh

Reaction score
I don’t know any tailors in Chicago, but it is an easy procedure that any decent alterations tailor should be able to do.
Thank you, @bry2000. If I don’t get any specific recommendations here, I’ll try my luck with a few tailors I can find on Google or Yelp.

Do you have cloth to make the side straps with? You need the cloth to make them or it can’t happen. The buckles are called D rings
I very much appreciate your reply, @Despos. I was thinking to use the excess fabric on the turn-ups on the inside leg of the trousers. These pants have somewhere between 1.5 and 2 in. width of fabric (going around the circumference) of the turn-ups. Do you think that’s enough? I was hoping to show the pants to a tailor to get his (or her) expert opinion. Thank you!

these guys will sell you small quantities.
Thank you, @amiga505. This will be helpful, in case the tailor can do it, but doesn’t have the buckles. These are fairly reasonably priced, too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads