• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belgian & dutch shoemakers

Duveen

Reaction score
Hi,

I seem to remember that T4Phage, who is Dutch, indirectly indicated that VanBommel is not in the first rank of shoemakers. But that may be a question of familiarity breeding contempt...

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, I seem to remember that T4Phage, who is Dutch, indirectly indicated that VanBommel is not in the first rank of shoemakers. Â But that may be a question of familiarity breeding contempt...
biggrin.gif
no no no.... nothing like that. Van Bommel is a decent shoe, but that is as far as I'll go. Not the same level as C&J. The styling is very bland, although they have made recent improvements in thier lasts, making them a bit more like the 517 of C&J. Van Bommel's top of the line: Noble Blue is not worth what they are charging. If you compare them to a Santoni "fatte a manos" (which is in the same price range and school of style), the quality of the leathers, stitching, and finishing is all subpar. Added to that someone knowledgable told me that the shoes are partially assembled in a third world country, specifically attaching the soles. If you turn the soles around and look at them carefully, you can see uneveness (sometimes large ripples or waves) in the forefoot as compared to a C&J handgrade or Santonis.

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They have a top line called Embassy that is reputed to use the same leather as Edward Green. I have a pair that indeed held up very well. The styling is conservative. It makes the foot look small. Quite the opposite of Santoni.
The leather doesn't show age, it is aniline after all.
I like my handgrade C&J's better because they show age in the form of attractive patina.
Ambiorix makes lower lines too that look awful. The embassy line is well made and certainly a proper shoe. I don't know their current prices but believe retail for the Embassy line approaches C&J online level pediwear prices so there you go..

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way Greve is a dutch shoemaker that is reasonably well constructed and more 'tasteful' imo than the Van Bommel Noble Blue line. At a slight discount Greve is certainly worth it's price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads