• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beginner Skateboard for a Kid recs?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a skateboard for my 8 year old boy. The ones at ToysRus look like cheap crap so thinking to order something online. Anyone have any tips about brands or size of deck and wheels for a beginner?

Hazad

Reaction score
I know when I started skating (around 10 years ago or so), the CCS Catalog was the cool thing to order from and they had their own brand of decks that usually cost a lot less than the "name brand" stuff. A couple friends ended up getting some to test out and they worked out pretty well, but that was some time ago.

But, browsing on their site, it seems like they have some complete decks for good prices: http://shop.ccs.com/catalog/browse.c...=&sortby=model

Note that the CCS decks are about $40 cheaper for a complete than the "name brand" ones, which I'd avoid anyway when your kid is just learning how to even ride a board let alone become a decent skater.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
my frist ever deck was a world industries with destructo trucks and blind wheels
smile.gif
such a little brand whore at 10 y.o

Wrigglez

Reaction score
+1 for getting a blank deck from a good skate store, some middle of the road trucks and wheels with better that average berrings. but most importantly saftey gear, helmet and knee pads are A MUST! i still skate but not so much these days.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't mean to intrude, but does your kid hang out with skaters already? If not, I'd encourage him to find another hobby. Every skater I knew when I was young was a fairly heavy drug user... I don't mean they did hard drugs, though some messed with acid and shrooms, but they were big weed/hash smokers... Most kids do some drugs occasionally these days, but I mean above and beyond that... Not saying your kid is predestined for that but skaters in general aren't exactly good influences...

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Don't mean to intrude, but does your kid hang out with skaters already? If not, I'd encourage him to find another hobby. Every skater I knew when I was young was a fairly heavy drug user... I don't mean they did hard drugs, though some messed with acid and shrooms, but they were big weed/hash smokers... Most kids do some drugs occasionally these days, but I mean above and beyond that... Not saying your kid is predestined for that but skaters in general aren't exactly good influences...

facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

limester816

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek

lollersaurus rex

Just get him a basic good skateboard, any skateshop will hook your kid up, they [usually] never try to swindle you. Good blank/basic deck, basic trucks, some good bones bearings, hard durable wheels, but they can hook all that up for you. 80 bucks should get a really good, functional board that will last for a good bit.

Seanallen

Reaction score
Blank Deck, then for trucks try to go with venture since usually blank trucks are heavy; then your choice of bearings and wheels. I would also look into these rubber pads you put between the trucks and deck for a smoother ride.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Element deck. Tensor trucks. Toy Machine wheels. Alien Workshop bearings. Don't forget the grip tape.

All that should run you about $200+.

dave

Reaction score
I've been skating for about 25 years now and still pick it up at least 2-3 times a week. I would personally recommend avoiding blanks and shop decks as they tend to be made in china of inferior laminates and use sub-par glues so they warp in humidity changes and they snap like twigs.

find something that uses canadian maple (black label, zorlac, anything from dlxsf i think) and you're kid can flog em till the cows come home and be happy.

alien workshop makes some nice logo decks in smaller sizes that would be perfect. (the Spectrum is a killer throwback to early 90s AWS designs)

as for trucks, most kids today tend to crank em down so tight they may as well be welded together so geometry no longer plays into it. go nostalgic, go independent! I've skated indys since 85 and i STILL do if that tells you anything.

Wheels are wheels in a lot of ways. with your kid being so young he'd benefit from something a little smaller in diameter like a 50-52 so he can keep up with it. I like softer duros but most will point you towards a 110 or so.

for a decent low maintenance bearing, bones reds are perfectly fine.

good luck and, if you're into it, get yourself a setup and skate with the kid! i ride with my niece and nephews and it's an awesome time every time.

steviecakes

Reaction score
mini-logo deck. made in the same factory (california skate factory) as powell and the like. $10-15 cheaper due to lack of graphics. god knows where shop blank decks come from.

bones reds bearings. they will last him through many set ups. clean every few months.

as for trucks, it's a lot of personal preference. i like grind king lows.

jessup grip tape. just enough grip, not too much (like black label)

like someone above said, 50-52 mm wheels. much better for a kid who probably wants to learn ollies and flip tricks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics