• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Basic style tips

MattHarris

Reaction score
Hello,
Apologies if these questions sound very basic I am looking for some answers to help improve my style to these questions:

1. What should you wear under/with different types of sweater/jumper?
2. What should you wear under a hoodie?
3. Is it ok to have wear a print or graphic T-shirt under a hoodie or sweater or should it preferably be plain?
4. Would it ever be ok to wear a vest/undershirt under a T-shirt?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Apologies if these questions sound very basic I am looking for some answers to help improve my style to these questions:

3. Is it ok to have wear a print or graphic T-shirt under a hoodie or sweater or should it preferably be plain?

1) I typically wear a collared shirt, preferably a button down collar.

2). The same though I’m not a hoodie person

3) why would it matter if it’s worn under?

4) WTF?

adrianvo

Reaction score
Hello,

1. A striped cotton shirt.
2. I wouldn't wear a hoodie.
3. (IMO) It's not okay to wear graphic t-shirts if you've graduated high school.
4. ...

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hello,

1. Depending on the outfit, you can wear either a t-shirt or a collared shirt. Some outfits look better with one or the other. If you're in a very casual outfit, I would do a t-shirt underneath. Sometimes it's better to choose one where the t-shirt doesn't show. If you're going for a dressier look, then you can do a collared shirt.

2. A t-shirt.

3. It doesn't matter much if it shows. But if the graphic underneath shows, like it would on a very thin cream-colored knit, then you should do a plain t-shirt.

4. No.

Turboks

Reaction score
I will add couple of my questions as well.

1. Can you pair plaid chinos with plaid blazer if they are not part of the same suit?
2. Is the last button on blazer always unbuttoned?
3. Do shoes need to match color of the belt while wearing a suit or a more classy outfit?
4. Is it okay to wear silver and gold watches with any suit?
5. Are dress shirt cuffs still used and is their only purpose to replace the button and look better?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

1. Can you pair plaid chinos with plaid blazer if they are not part of the same suit?
3. Do shoes need to match color of the belt while wearing a suit or a more classy outfit?
5. Are dress shirt cuffs still used and is their only purpose to replace the button and look better?

1. Only if you're a dandy

2. Yes

3. Doesn't have to be exactly, but yes. Should be in the ballpark.

4. Yes. Some say that watches shouldn't be worn with dinner suits, but I think this is anachronistic.

5. Do you mean cufflinks? Cufflinks go on French cuff shirts, which is a more formal cuff finishing than a barrel cuff. They are meant to be worn in dressy outfits, like suits, if you wish to.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1. Pairing 2 plaids is a very dangerous game - you generally want a bold pattern in only one aspect - having 2 bold but different patterns rarely looks good IMO
2. Yes
3. I would say they need to be close but don't have to be an exact matching shade
4. You can wear stainless or gold, IMO, but what is more important is the size of the watch - a 300m dive watch with a suit looks a bit too bulky. I think it also depends on whether you are styling your suit to be reserved (funeral or formal function) or fun. The more reserved you are styling the more your watch should be understated and not flashy.
5. Yes - i wear them and I know others who do. I'm not aware of a practical purpose for cuffs, it's a style choice

BPL Esq

Reaction score
Re: watches with suits (more specifically, dinner jacket) - I always thought there was something romantic about the idea of a gentleman not wearing a watch in these circumstances, as if to say to his guests or host(ess) that he is there for them, has no plan to cut things short to be elsewhere, and therefore isn't concerned with the time.

I don't presently own a watch. When I do, I think I'll stick to that mindset.

Turboks

Reaction score
Thank you for answering my questions. I hope you do not mind if I ask more questions that interest me.

1. Is it okay to wear moccasins (loafers) without socks?
2. How do you keep your shirt tucked in for a whole day (Tell me some tips)?
3. Since I always carry a lot of items with me (phone, wallet, cigarettes, glasses), I carry a bag. I was thinking of switching from shoulder bag to carry bag. I own this Tommy Hilfiger bag and I want to purchase something like this one on the other photo. What do you think?
Reiss-2017-Spring-Summer-Mens-Bags-001.jpg
THAM0AM07230-BDS-1.jpg

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Answers:
1. Yes, you can wear mocasins and loafers without socks
2. No great tips - back in ROTC a few decades ago I wore shirt garters which attach shirt to socks but they leave crease marks in the pants when you sit so I wouldn't recommend.
3. Sorry I cannot get on board with any type of man purse. Carrying some type of bag to/from the office is one thing - but taking the bag with you everywhere? Not a fan - especially not anything like the 2nd picture. Just my opinion though

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you for answering my questions. I hope you do not mind if I ask more questions that interest me.

3. Since I always carry a lot of items with me (phone, wallet, cigarettes, glasses), I carry a bag. I was thinking of switching from shoulder bag to carry bag. I own this Tommy Hilfiger bag and I want to purchase something like this one on the other photo. What do you think?
View attachment 1615160 View attachment 1615161

1. Yes

2. Some shirts are meant to be tucked, while others are not. Get shirts with longer shirt tails and they will stay tucked.

3. The bag in your first photo is called a portfolio, or sometimes shortened to "folio." I use them all the time. They're lighter than a briefcase and better if you're only carrying a small number of items. Not much to say about them except they're functional.

tumblr_inline_pc5gagXHzE1qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_pc5egpjvkf1qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_pc5fkjSDhb1qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_pc5egrOxRR1qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_pc5fxpuWnh1qfex1b_540.jpg

I have about a dozen of them.

unnamed.png
tumblr_inline_pc6plhgI0h1qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_pc5hq8Af0Y1qfex1b_540.jpg

Last edited:

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

1. Yes, okay, though I personally prefer no-show socks as those feel more comfortable to me (and arguably more hygenic?)
2. Second DWW's comment that it's important for your shirt to be long enough. Shirts that are too short in the body easily come untucked.
3. I'd also consider a sling or cross-body bag. I don't use one myself, but I don't think that bags or folios that require one hand to hold are very practical for everyday use.

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
I usually wear Oxford cloth button-downs under crew neck sweaters. If I am wearing a cardigan in a casual context, I will often wear a henley underneath it — I find that the placket breaks up what would otherwise be a plain swath of shirt. On the rare occasions on which I wear a sweater without a collared shirt underneath, I prefer a henley from some sort of textured material, such as slub cotton, to a plain t-shirt, because if the sweater gets too warm I would rather have a shirt that stands on its own underneath it than something that would look more like a base layer.
Hello,

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3. Doesn't have to be exactly, but yes. Should be in the ballpark.

How do you feel about scotch/country grain shoes. Should the belt also be grain or is ball-parking the color enough?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How do you feel about scotch/country grain shoes. Should the belt also be grain or is ball-parking the color enough?

Matching belt/shoe is a general rule and doesn't have to be adhered to as a strict standard. Sometimes things can look overly fussy and paint-by-numbers when things match too closely.

Personally, I would be fine wearing a suede belt to match country grain, so long as the two are roughly the same color.

I once interviewed Mark at The Armoury and mentioned to him that I've noticed he wears this woven suede o-ring belt a lot (pictured below). He says he likes it because the woven suede goes with everything -- calf, suede, and country grained shoes in a similar color. That can be a solution. The belt is from Andersons.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads