• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barbour Bedale fitting + sleeves

zuzu85

Reaction score
Hello all,
This is my first post and I’m excited to be part of this forum. I’ll get right into my question.
I’ve recently ordered a Barbour Bedale size 40 and I’ve some questions concerning the fit and the sleeves. For your info, I’m 1.85m. The jacket feels boxy but understood that it will drape nicely in time.

What do you guys think of the fit and of the sleeves?

cheers!

Attachments

• 5D603A76-B9FF-45EF-A059-7378BB58AE97.jpeg
    5D603A76-B9FF-45EF-A059-7378BB58AE97.jpeg
    214.2 KB · Views: 301
  • BEFEA81E-E6A9-401E-A056-9BA460C10E9B.jpeg
    BEFEA81E-E6A9-401E-A056-9BA460C10E9B.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 300
  • 84E43822-A39B-4127-9E51-6344FE97F8B3.jpeg
    84E43822-A39B-4127-9E51-6344FE97F8B3.jpeg
    194.5 KB · Views: 299
  • 1732E3B8-DB86-4905-89DF-44600D7B3A63.jpeg
    1732E3B8-DB86-4905-89DF-44600D7B3A63.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 304

msimon

Reaction score
Bedale sleeves are on the shorter side due to its equestrian origins I was told. There is alot advice on the Internet saying to size down but this is stupid advice as the boxy nature is designed so you can fit layering underneath.

The fit looks good but because you have thicker layering and a rounder body shape it pulls up the sleeves just a tad from my experience.

zuzu85

Reaction score
Bedale sleeves are on the shorter side due to its equestrian origins I was told. There is alot advice on the Internet saying to size down but this is stupid advice as the boxy nature is designed so you can fit layering underneath.

The fit looks good but because you have thicker layering and a rounder body shape it pulls up the sleeves just a tad from my experience.
As to my body shape: i’m actually slim but do have a little expansion going on around the waist. I’ve tried both size 42 (too big) and 38 (too snug). I guess I’m one of those that are in the dreaded zone. But esthetically speaking; are the short sleeves a big no in this case? Never mind what I think or feel. How much longer should the sleeves be?

msimon

Reaction score
As to my body shape: i’m actually slim but do have a little expansion going on around the waist. I’ve tried both size 42 (too big) and 38 (too snug). I guess I’m one of those that are in the dreaded zone. But esthetically speaking; are the short sleeves a big no in this case? Never mind what I think or feel. How much longer should the sleeves be?

I apologise about your body shape. As for the sleeves, they would be a little short for me, you had advice from the barbour thread about lengthening which barbour offers.

Put the jacket back on and tug on the sleeves to pull them down onto the cuffs, if they don't there on the short side but only a little. The cloth tends to ride up due to the stiffness of the cloth wrinkling especially on the thornproof cloth.

ULCajun

Reaction score
I think it looks spot on. Is that the thickest sweater you would wear with it? I personally like just a touch of the cuff sticking out

zuzu85

Reaction score
I apologise about your body shape. As for the sleeves, they would be a little short for me, you had advice from the barbour thread about lengthening which barbour offers.

Put the jacket back on and tug on the sleeves to pull them down onto the cuffs, if they don't there on the short side but only a little. The cloth tends to ride up due to the stiffness of the cloth wrinkling especially on the thornproof cloth.
No apologies needed my friend. I'm working on it lately and should be in good shape soon enough.
I will try your advice first thing in the morning. I haven't thought of that.
will the cloth (after it has softened) make the sleeve bridge that difference of length you think?

Thanks btw for your reply. I appreciate it.

zuzu85

Reaction score
I think it looks spot on. Is that the thickest sweater you would wear with it? I personally like just a touch of the cuff sticking out
I have another one that's a bit thicker and I've tried it on before. It looked nice. Is the cuff sticking a big no when it comes to Barbour or part of the charm?

msimon

Reaction score
No apologies needed my friend. I'm working on it lately and should be in good shape soon enough.
I will try your advice first thing in the morning. I haven't thought of that.
will the cloth (after it has softened) make the sleeve bridge that difference of length you think?

Thanks btw for your reply. I appreciate it.

Probably not, mine never did and to be honest it's not really that bad. Don't forget that the fit is absolutely fine, it's just me being really fussy.

ULCajun

Reaction score
I have another one that's a bit thicker and I've tried it on before. It looked nice. Is the cuff sticking a big no when it comes to Barbour or part of the charm?
I’m new to Barbour so I may not fully grasp the “charm” but as long as it’s comfortable and looks fine (as yours does) I would stick with it. Again I personally like a little bit of the cuff sticking out.

zuzu85

Reaction score
I’m new to Barbour so I may not fully grasp the “charm” but as long as it’s comfortable and looks fine (as yours does) I would stick with it. Again I personally like a little bit of the cuff sticking out.
do you als wear a Barbour bedale? if so, do you mind sending me a picture of how it fits you?

ULCajun

Reaction score
do you als wear a Barbour bedale? if so, do you mind sending me a picture of how it fits you?
I have a 38 with the tags still on because I’ve been doubting my size as well. The only thing that’s bugging me is a little bit of shoulder blade material that was bunching up. From what I’ve read, it’s fairly normal and could settle with wear. I just went over to try a 36 today and yea, there’s no additional layer fitting under that thing. I’m 5’8/9 155. . Can take pics later.

zuzu85

Reaction score
I have a 38 with the tags still on because I’ve been doubting my size as well. The only thing that’s bugging me is a little bit of shoulder blade material that was bunching up. From what I’ve read, it’s fairly normal and could settle with wear. I just went over to try a 36 today and yea, there’s no additional layer fitting under that thing. I’m 5’8/9 155. . Can take pics later.
I have the same thing with the shoulder blade material bunching up, but I've read similar thing like you. and what about the cuffs? same as me?

ULCajun

Reaction score
I have the same thing with the shoulder blade material bunching up, but I've read similar thing like you. and what about the cuffs? same as me?
Yes same cuffs. Wear it this year and figure out if you want the sleeves lengthened for next year. Reach out to some of the major repair shops in the UK. They may be cheaper for shipping than you think.

msimon

Reaction score

If I wear thicker clothing then my cuffs do show aswell. It's an equestrian jacket cut short for horse riding after all.

I'm 5'7 119 and wear a 32.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads