• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

baracuta vs. members only

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the more i read about baracuta jackets, the more i want one. i was wondering about how they fit versus members only jackets, the difference between the regular g9 and the slim g9, and places to buy them in the u.s. other than this forum.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Blue in Green NYC sells the slimfit G9. O'Connells and Ben Silver have sold the classic G9

Oi polloi and Endclothing in UK sells the slimfit and ship to USA

I have no experience with Members Only as I equate those with the worst of 80s cheese. The Baracuta is a 60s Ivy classic, worn by guys like Sinatra, McQueen, Miles then became part of the uniform of mods and skinheads.

The slimfit G9 has trimmer sleeves and a bit narrower shoulder...not sure if the body is any slimmer but hte higher armholes on the slimmer sleeves makes it feel like the body is trimmer. They're not cheap at full retail, about $220. You can get G9s from other makers for far less, like Merc, Warrior, Ben Sherman, Fred Perry. Pretty much any brand into "The Look" will sell a version of one.

Reaction score
Get the Baracuta. Classic.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by berlin report
Baracuta is doing a cooperation with Ben Sherman but I don't think its coming out till Fall.

Nice.

I don't think you can compare members only to baracuta. They are similar looking in style and fit but for whatever reason MO will forever be associated with parachute pants and capezios.

Finding them is the hard part. BiG doesnt sell them online (I told the guy working there that they should put them on thier website because they would sell but he didn't seem interested) and they charge $220+tax so buying one off OiPolloi is actually cheaper even with the crappy USD conversion.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
You can get the Merc one from www.99xnyc.com but I am sure that if you live in a large enough city then some place will carry Merc already.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the help guys, i'd rather save up for a genuine g9 than settle for one of the ben sherman/fred perry/merc versions, but i just wanted to get a feel for how they fit. either way, hopefully i'll be able to track one down in the near future since your glowing recommendations have further swayed my interest into trying one on.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Since the thin cotton on the Baracuta is teflon coated it's decently windproof, but I wouldnt call it a warm jacket. It's best suited for spring/fall or LA winter....but not for a proper winter.

The waxed cotton Fred Perry G9 I got is thicker and actually made for a good jacket to wear in London last week.

also keep in mind G9s arent supposed to be "skinny" jackets, they're supposed to have a relaxed fit. So even the slimfit version is somewhat roomy, by the standards most here would have for a garment that calls itself slimfit.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
That's an ok price....cheaper than full retail but not by much after you figure in the $30 shipping to USA. Still, it's not a bad price for the slimfit model which you rarely see on sale so it's not like you can easily find it for less than retail anyways.

If you browse ebay, the Van Heusen and 4 Climes harringtons are made by Baracuta as well, and those usually go for much cheaper (besides the fact they're used), but they are the classic fit, not the slimfit

randomtw

Reaction score
think some of their styles would work with a hoodie underneath? might pick one up and try it with a black hoodie underneath

havent really taken a look at their whole collection yet (if anybody has a link, much appreciated)

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomtw
think some of their styles would work with a hoodie underneath? might pick one up and try it with a black hoodie underneath
No.

Originally Posted by randomtw
are members only jackets made out of cotton?
Nylon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads