• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nh10222

Reaction score
Thank you for your responses. I'll have my cobbler take a look at the tongue issue to see if it's crooked or not. If it's not faulty I might have him attach the tongue to one side of the boot.

Can any of you post pictures of how a tongue is stitched to one side? All along the tongue or just at some spots?
I just checked Cliff Roberts' Balmoral boots and the tongue is only stitched into the lining near the top on one side, not the whole way up. There are only a few, small stitches, although it feels very firmly attached.

Given that the same thing happens with my Herring Holmes, I doubt your boots are defective. It should be easy enough for the tongue to be stitched.

As a matter of interest what do you guys do for boot trees?
Good question. I don't have any, either - only shoe trees, not that it really bothers me.

Last edited:

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brought some boots to the party

Meermin MTO Austerity Brogue Boots-Light and Dark Brown

John Lobb Brooklands Black Museum Calf

C&J Sommervilles

Last edited:

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As a matter of interest what do you guys do for boot trees?

So far I've been content with regular-ass shoe trees. While the shaft has no internal stiffener to keep its shape, I haven't noticed heavy creasing on my pairs. La Cordonnerie Anglaise does make some wonderful boot trees, but their prices are naughty.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brought some boots to the party

Meermin MTO Austerity Brogue Boots-Light and Dark Brown

John Lobb Brooklands Black Museum Calf

C&J Sommervilles

G, now WHERE did you get those JL! I'm jealous...

FosterandSon

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Cross Post from Foster & Son/Henry Maxwell: Official Affiliate Thread

Our historic bespoke shoe collection Foster & Son/ Henry Maxwell

Button Boots

These boots date from the early part of the last century and were the inspiration for our Montrose Balmoral boot. The welt is stitched at 15 spi.

And our Montrose Balmoral boot, a little more conveniently designed.

Foster & Son

nh10222

Reaction score
Balmoral Boots by Clifford Roberts in grey calf and grey suede, Dainite rubber sole.

Cliff did well this time, and he did it quickly - ordered 5 September, received today! Much quicker than my previous orders.

I've found Cliff's rounded last boots are best suited to thin dress socks or hose - they are a tad tight with "boot" socks, and this is probably as it should be, since they are "dress" boots. However, these boots, made on the chiselled last, offer a more generous fit that accommodates thicker wool socks without tearing the stitching of the upper. The toe box is surprisingly roomy and they are clearly longer than their rounded counterparts.

Last edited:

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nh there are a few things that caught my eye immediately and maybe it is just from the picture but:

-the symmetry on the boot seems off. The lacing point is not centered on the boot and rather off center
-the left boot seems to have your pinky toe protruding causing an indentation in the leather
-the color of the grey seems really light, what do you plan on wearing these with? I am all for unique and different color shoes but the shade seems too light IMO

nh10222

Reaction score
-the symmetry on the boot seems off. The lacing point is not centered on the boot and rather off center
Yes, and I have noticed the same thing with other boots made on the same last. It does stand out, but is not a surprise to me at all.

Quote: justinkapur Looking at the photo, I think I can see what you mean. However, it certainly did not feel like it. They were roomy right across the toes - roomier than the rounded last. Time will tell if there really is a problem. There was already some creasing in the upper of the right boot below the vamp. I think the little toe indentation is actually an imperfection in the leather.

Quote: justinkapur My quick, amateur snaps should be taken as a rough guide, particularly in regard to colour. The flash didn't help, but it is hardly a dark, charcoal grey. The navy blue, for example, appears black except under bright light, and the flash makes the black suede look grey. The grey boots were not purchased to go with any particular outfit, but they are darker than some of my grey trousers.

Last edited:

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, and I have noticed the same thing with other boots made on the same last. It does stand out, but is not a surprise to me at all.

Looking at the photo, I think I can see what you mean. However, it certainly did not feel like it. They were roomy right across the toes - roomier than the rounded last.

My quick, amateur snaps should be taken as a rough guide. The flash didn't help, but it is hardly a dark, charcoal grey. These were not purchased to go with any particular outfit, but they are darker than some of my grey trousers.

Yea a picture does not always do shoes justice and I have a lot of shoes that a picture cant even portray how beautiful the shoes actually are. I think they are very unique boots and I would love to see a post in the Rock your sock, shoe, pant thread with you wearing these boots.

nh10222

Reaction score
I think they are very unique boots

I think the realm of unique designs is where Cliff comes into his own. Everything I get from Mr Roberts is something of an experiment, although I have not had him do anything particularly outrageous. Overall, I'm very happy with his hand-welted boots and like their hand-made imperfections, but such quirks are not for everyone.

Grey is a rather rare and less flexible colour than the likes of black, brown, burgundy, etc., but I already had all those and more, so it was time for something different. The colour could be darkened with boot oil, cream or even dye if need be. As stated in another thread, the drive to grey is boredom. It might not lead anywhere, but so what? If the colour turns out useless or starts to piss me off, I'll just turn them black. A lot of black army boots were actually made in brown and polished black by the soldiers after issue. It's no big deal.

Last edited:

nh10222

Reaction score
the drive to grey is boredom. It might not lead anywhere, but so what? If the colour turns out useless or starts to piss me off, I'll just turn them black. It's no big deal.

Darkening in progress using black cream and wax. The finish is not even yet, but it already appears a deep graphite colour away from direct light, if not black; the imperfections are barely visible. Charcoal or graphite is what I really wanted in the first place. I might try dye later.

Last edited:

nh10222

Reaction score
Carmina 80092 black calf, shaft in grey lizard, Forest last, Dainite single rubber sole, purple lining.
Delivered in just under nine weeks.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads