• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bally shoes: To buy or not?

Biberach

Reaction score
I just have a chance to buy this pair of Bally black derby at 50% off (250 EUR after discount). It seems that Bally is rarely mentioned here in SF and don't have a good reputation. But the shoes appear to be quite decent to my novice eyes. The fitting is quite good as I have tried them in person.

They are goodyear-welted as suggested by the print in the sole and I was told they are made in Switzerland (rather than Italy). The construction seems to be quite solid. Btw it's not corrected leather as might be misled by the shiny photos borrowed from the official website.

http://www.bally.com/item.asp?tskay=868A0A78&cod10=44608288AI

Thanks very much!

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you need black five-eyelet plain-toe derbies? I mean, they're a little like uniform shoes.

Would you pay full price for them, or pay 250 euros if it were the full price for a "lesser" shoe in a similar style?

Biberach

Reaction score
Do you need black five-eyelet plain-toe derbies? I mean, they're a little like uniform shoes.

Would you pay full price for them, or pay 250 euros if it were the full price for a "lesser" shoe in a similar style?
Ah, YRR92, I see your point. Yes, they are a bit uniform-like that I didn't notice until you mentioned.

They are intended to serve as alternatives to my only pair of black shoes (AE Park Avenue) in case of consecutive formal events (though yet to happen). Will this style cause unpleasant impressions like, say, a black suit? That's definitely not what I want.

250 euros are more or less the "par" price for AEs or Loake 1880s here. I do find this Bally is superior in terms of detail and finish to the AE PA I owned. This, of course, may well attribute to the illusion created by the high listed price and/or the significant discount.

Biberach

Reaction score
Not many around here have anything good to say about Bally, unless it's the Scribe line from Bally. Google Bally Scribe from more info.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bally-Scrib...3459885?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item5d48cea1ad

Unfortunately I don't get an offer to buy Bally Scribe 50% off...As to my understanding, they are MTO and I don't have the luck to find a pair in my size on Ebay etc.

FWIW, I was told the shoes in the OP were manufactured in the same factory that makes Scribes though.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, YRR92, I see your point. Yes, they are a bit uniform-like that I didn't notice until you mentioned.

They are intended to serve as alternatives to my only pair of black shoes (AE Park Avenue) in case of consecutive formal events (though yet to happen). Will this style cause unpleasant impressions like, say, a black suit? That's definitely not what I want.

250 euros are more or less the "par" price for AEs or Loake 1880s here. I do find this Bally is superior in terms of detail and finish to the AE PA I owned. This, of course, may well attribute to the illusion created by the high listed price and/or the significant discount.

The Bally shoes I have seen are certainly finished nicer than Allen Edmonds are. That said, I don't particularly think that style of shoe is one I'd get much use out of. In tan or medium brown, they would be a nice enough shoe for a sportcoat, but for a suit, I'd prefer a shoe with closed laces, or something with two or three eyelets instead of five.

The connotations of that style, besides the uniform stuff, at least for me, are rather stodgy.

And, uh, I don't think Bally invented the goodyear welt, though I think they've been using it for a long time.

Biberach

Reaction score
The Bally shoes I have seen are certainly finished nicer than Allen Edmonds are. That said, I don't particularly think that style of shoe is one I'd get much use out of. In tan or medium brown, they would be a nice enough shoe for a sportcoat, but for a suit, I'd prefer a shoe with closed laces, or something with two or three eyelets instead of five.

The connotations of that style, besides the uniform stuff, at least for me, are rather stodgy.

And, uh, I don't think Bally invented the goodyear welt, though I think they've been using it for a long time.

Right, I'm sold. The more I look at the shoes the more I dislike the style... And I don't think goodyear-welt was invented by Bally, either.

Thanks very much for your input.

super1flavor

Reaction score
I'm also not a fan of derbies in general, but more importantly, I recently saved myself a lot money passing on a pair of marked down Bally's. I was surprised to find limited information or reviews on the net when I considered buying them. They were the "scribe" line and look quite attractive in the photos. I had been running a few errands in midtown and all my years, I had forgotten that there was a Bally store down the street from Barney's. I stopped in and they had virtually the same model shoe I was interested in, but at full retail.

Very strange fitting shoe. I don't wear Allen Edmonds either, so I don't know if the last's compare, but in relation to Santoni or Church, which I mostly wear, the Bally was very narrow and had a low heel. They overall felt very small (not fit), just a small shoe in general, which is odd for a derbie, I suppose. A derbie should have some girth to them. I was wearing jeans that day (I wear slim dark denim) and my jeans swallowed the shoes. That never happens with my Church's wingtips, ryder boots, really any shoe I have.

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The biggest reason is the internal inconsistency. Black and whole cut = formal. Derby = casual. They, as shoes, don't make sense and will send mixed messages.

super1flavor

Reaction score
I know there have been many separate threads on this exact topic -- Derby vs. Oxford and I personally don't own a single pair of derbies. They are overall just a very odd shoe style. For a "casual" setting, I'll just wear my chelsea or ryder boots. I'm actually partial to wingtip oxfords and dark denim with a navy sport coat once in a while. I just never once found that right spot for a derby shoe. Interestingly, every time I do see a derby in action, it's generally on older, slightly overweight, males wearing khakis and a tweed sport coat. That's probably the only type of outfit that works for a derby and you probably only want it in a brown pebble grain?

Last edited:

Biberach

Reaction score
I'm also not a fan of derbies in general, but more importantly, I recently saved myself a lot money passing on a pair of marked down Bally's. I was surprised to find limited information or reviews on the net when I considered buying them. They were the "scribe" line and look quite attractive in the photos. I had been running a few errands in midtown and all my years, I had forgotten that there was a Bally store down the street from Barney's. I stopped in and they had virtually the same model shoe I was interested in, but at full retail.

Very strange fitting shoe. I don't wear Allen Edmonds either, so I don't know if the last's compare, but in relation to Santoni or Church, which I mostly wear, the Bally was very narrow and had a low heel. They overall felt very small (not fit), just a small shoe in general, which is odd for a derbie, I suppose. A derbie should have some girth to them. I was wearing jeans that day (I wear slim dark denim) and my jeans swallowed the shoes. That never happens with my Church's wingtips, ryder boots, really any shoe I have.
I don't know the fitting of Scribe line, but the ones I tried, judging from my very limited experience, are quite true to size. The eu size marked on the sole is actually uk size and Bally uses "E" as their standard width. I do feel it a bit narrower than the F width in some English made shoes, such as Loake or Church's.

And yes, the throat part is low and despite my medium in-step it is difficult to put my feet in, but once in, everything is fine.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know there have been many separate threads on this exact topic -- Derby vs. Oxford and I personally don't own a single pair of derbies. They are overall just a very odd shoe style. For a "casual" setting, I'll just wear my chelsea or ryder boots. I'm actually partial to wingtip oxfords and dark denim with a navy sport coat once in a while. I just never once found that right spot for a derby shoe. Interestingly, every time I do see a derby in action, it's generally on older, slightly overweight, males wearing khakis and a tweed sport coat. That's probably the only type of outfit that works for a derby and you probably only want it in a brown pebble grain?

I'm very young and very underweight, and I just bought a pair of brown pebble grain bluchers to wear with tweed jackets...

So it's certainly a look.

peach

Reaction score
Biberach , I don't know what you decided about the shoes but I like them quite a bit. I have several pairs of the Scribe line and from what I can tell from the pictures those look very close maybe a little sleeker as the Scribe line is can be a little clunky in some styles . I am thinking that their shoes made in Switzerland are quite nice regardless of the line. I think those shoes word look great with slacks and a good alternative to a cap toe. I vote for you to purchase them.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unfortunately I don't get an offer to buy Bally Scribe 50% off...As to my understanding, they are MTO and I don't have the luck to find a pair in my size on Ebay etc.

FWIW, I was told the shoes in the OP were manufactured in the same factory that makes Scribes though. 
[/quote

Made in the same factory does not mean that all shoes made in that factory are equal in quality.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads