• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Balenciaga suit - thoughts?

ebayhtl

Reaction score
Bit surprised there are no threads at all on Balenciaga suits, so thought I'd start a thread.

Bought a Balenciaga wool/mohair suit online without trying it on (it was last one and half price so took a punt). What should I expect?

It's basically this one, but in navy blue - http://www.mrporter.com/product/180136 (note - Mr Porter is more expensive for equivalent item than other UK sites, it was GBP1280 original price where I bought it).

Any views (whether relevant to my suit or not) would be great.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I highly doubt that it will be low quality, but show a pic of the inner tag so we can figure out the maker.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I highly doubt that it will be low quality, but show a pic of the inner tag so we can figure out the maker.

+1 and not the tag that says "Balenciaga" the tag we are talking about is usually inside one of the inner pockets and shows the fabric content etc

NZ1003

Reaction score
Did you buy it from Matchesfashion? I had my eye on it but just forgot to buy it and this morning when I checked it was gone. Let me know how it is.

nepats81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.mrporter.com/product/180139

I actually recently purchased this trench coat from Mr. Porter from Balenciaga. Quality is great, and the fit is very sharp. I know that doesn't help with your suit, but I figured I would throw my 2 cents in. I am still trying to decide on whether I should hold onto it or not, as I'm not sure about the style. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

ebayhtl

Reaction score
Firstly, the Balenciaga suit ended up getting sent back - they sent me a size 46 jacket and size 48 pants!

They had also sold out of all other sizes so I didn't have much choice other than sending it back, though I would have kept it if the jacket wasn't so tight - while the jacket length was typical size 46, the arms/chest areas were both more akin to size 44. Very, very slim fit - next time if I'm buying a suit from them, I'll be sizing up.

Matches at least will give me a full refund and not charge me any shipping costs, which was the least that they could do - a bit disappointed that I couldn't keep it.

The quality of the suit itself was very solid, full canvassed from what I could tell. A few people asked about the size tags - see below.

Last edited:

Archimedes

Reaction score
Sorry for bumping this thread but I am considering getting a Balenciaga suit. Does anyone have any idea who is the original maker of their suits? I al also considering a Lanvin suit and I know it is made by Caruso so unless I find solid info about the Balenciaga I am inclined to lean towards the latter. Thank you all in advance!

PS: don't kill me about my choices, I am in a need of a suit on a short notice so my choices are somewhat limited (to RTW and "fashion" brands)

nepats81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for bumping this thread but I am considering getting a Balenciaga suit. Does anyone have any idea who is the original maker of their suits? I al also considering a Lanvin suit and I know it is made by Caruso so unless I find solid info about the Balenciaga I am inclined to lean towards the latter. Thank you all in advance!
PS: don't kill me about my choices, I am in a need of a suit on a short notice so my choices are somewhat limited (to RTW and "fashion" brands)

I have a trench by Balenciagia and the fit and quality is excellent. Not sure about their suits.. If i was you I would just get Ralph Lauren Black Label and call it a day. Less expensive, extensive reviews on the quality being pretty good and the fit is a agressive similar to these other brands.

Archimedes

Reaction score
Thank you for your assistance. I realize that RL is highly regarded on this forum and for a good reason, but I live in Europe (Switzerland) so for better or for worse I have more access to European brands like Balenciaga than let's say RL, which is pretty scarce (especially BL or PL)

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but it looks like the maker for Balenciaga MAY be Caruso. I'm in London now, but if I were back in NJ I could check the inside labels of RLBL and Dior to compare, but they seem to be reminiscent of those.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only one back pocket in the trousers of a suit of this price?

I would wonder what else is being skimped. Given it is little known , avoid

Archimedes

Reaction score
I thought I should upload a picture of the inside tags of the suit, in case someone can recognize the maker of this suit. I was told on another thread that Lanvin suits are made by either Caruso (I initially thought all Lanvin suits were made by Caruso) or Pal Zileri. Could someone help me on this? Thank you in advance and have a nice weekend!

[ATTACHMENT=4562]2012-11-22 12.51.39.jpg (1,975k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]
[ATTACHMENT=4563]2012-11-22 12.56.25.jpg (1,730k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads