• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Backpacks?

kortex

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a travel laptop backpack that would be fine to carry on a plane and appropriate to take to the office. I like my briefcase, but I need more room. I looked at Tumi and they seem a bit small for what you pay. Recommendations? I don't want crazy colors.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What do you wear to the office? Is it tailored clothing or some other type of aesthetic?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Either slacks/shirt/tie or suit.

If you're wearing a suit, I don't recommend wearing a backpack. A suit is made up of canvassing, haircloth, and padding, which stretch from the chest and over the shoulder line. If you wear a backpack, you can damage the material inside and thus ruin the shoulder line. The constant rubbing of a backpack on something such as a Super 100s wool can also ruin the material.

If you're wearing a suit, I recommend just using a briefcase.

I'm personally not crazy about slacks + shirt + tie, but recognize this is the uniform nowadays at many offices. I'm not sure what would be a good option for that type of outfit. But some ideas from backpacks I use:

When I travel, I use Brooks' Pickwick. It's a cycling rolltop bag with a ton of storage space inside, which makes it easy to carry more things onto the plane. There are two sizes; I recommend the larger. Here's a video of it (mine is in cream canvas)

I also really like And Wander backpacks. They have a big zip across the front, which makes it easier to access things at the bottom of your bag, depending on how you pack. I mostly use this with jeans, flannel shirts, and field jackets. Not really slacks and ties.

1612759_1_800x.jpeg
ANd_wander_Instagram_large.jpeg

I also really like retro-styled hiking backpacks, often inspired by 1960s or 70s designs. I use Kelty's Mockingbird and Ralph Lauren's Yosemite. Both styles are discontinued, but I can drum up some names of things on the market if you're interested in this style. Again, much more at home with jeans and flannels than slacks

tumblr_inline_ny8pxxNM7M1qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_ny8py4mdVj1qfex1b_540.jpeg
tumblr_inline_nyd2pmzqJM1qfex1b_540.jpeg

If I had to choose a backpack to use with slacks + shirt + tie, I think I would do an all-black Master Piece. Master Piece is a Japanese brand that makes things that look classic, but slightly modern, and they use really good trims. Meaning the buckles, zippers, etc are all higher-end than what you'd find on a standard backpack. The zippers are also commonly waterproofed, so you can more confidently carry electronics in the rain. They have a ton of models online if you Google "Master Piece backpack"

tumblr_inline_ny8pxaE9wn1qfex1b_540.jpg
IMG_4174_1024x1024.jpeg

Some models also have a handle on the side, so you can use it as a briefcase when you're wearing a suit

201401M166016_1.jpeg

kortex

Reaction score
If you're wearing a suit, I don't recommend wearing a backpack. A suit is made up of canvassing, haircloth, and padding, which stretch from the chest and over the shoulder line. If you wear a backpack, you can damage the material inside and thus ruin the shoulder line. The constant rubbing of a backpack on something such as a Super 100s wool can also ruin the material.

**snip**

Thank you for the reply--I personally dislike backpacks as well. I tend to avoid them whenever possible. I'll be traveling some, begrudgingly, and it will help to have something that is carry-on appropriate and office appropriate. I'm looking over your suggestions.

GaiusM

Reaction score
Seconding Master Piece. Picked up a messenger bag by them at a thrift shop here (~$30!) and it has far exceeded my expectations. They make things to last. Web shop might seem a bit pricey at first glance but well worth it in the long run.

emptym

Reaction score
Mismo has some nice backpacks:

Pricy, but also made to last. Some of their models remind me of Filson, but they're more angular and simple.

sajesak

Reaction score

If you're wearing a suit, I recommend just using a briefcase.

I'm personally not crazy about slacks + shirt + tie, but recognize this is the uniform nowadays at many offices. I'm not sure what would be a good option for that type of outfit. But some ideas from backpacks I use:

When I travel, I use Brooks' Pickwick. It's a cycling rolltop bag with a ton of storage space inside, which makes it easy to carry more things onto the plane. There are two sizes; I recommend the larger. Here's a video of it (mine is in cream canvas)

I also really like And Wander backpacks. They have a big zip across the front, which makes it easier to access things at the bottom of your bag, depending on how you pack. I mostly use this with jeans, flannel shirts, and field jackets. Not really slacks and ties.

View attachment 1675966 View attachment 1675967

I also really like retro-styled hiking backpacks, often inspired by 1960s or 70s designs. I use Kelty's Mockingbird and Ralph Lauren's Yosemite. Both styles are discontinued, but I can drum up some names of things on the market if you're interested in this style. Again, much more at home with jeans and flannels than slacks

View attachment 1675968 View attachment 1675969 View attachment 1675970

If I had to choose a backpack to use with slacks + shirt + tie, I think I would do an all-black Master Piece. Master Piece is a Japanese brand that makes things that look classic, but slightly modern, and they use really good trims. Meaning the buckles, zippers, etc are all higher-end than what you'd find on a standard backpack Junk Removal Arlington wa. The zippers are also commonly waterproofed, so you can more confidently carry electronics in the rain. They have a ton of models online if you Google "Master Piece backpack"

View attachment 1675971 View attachment 1675974

Some models also have a handle on the side, so you can use it as a briefcase when you're wearing a suit

View attachment 1675975

Just looking for some ideas for a backpack similar to dakine heli pack. Heli pack is 11 litres, with a diagonal ski carry (which i occasionally use walking back to apartment etc), it has a hydration pouch and the tube can go down inside the shoulder strap, which i use and like. The small lined zipped compartment on the top is good, as is the carry handle on the top, it is also seems quite robust....... waist belt fits well as does the sternum strap, and it all adjusts which i like, its small enough (ish) (would be better without the shovel / snowboard thing on the back), not to need to take it off on lifts I never use it for off piste as i have another pack for that, so the external shovel holder with all its clips is a big waste of space and time, and I don't need a snowboard carry. so ideas for another dakine pack similar size, or another make........ but without the shovel/ snowboard carry on the back? I also use it for walking in the summer. Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads