• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Backpacking in Europe

Biggie_Robs

Reaction score
I need more support than JPs offer if I'm walking a lot. I'd suggest something with more support, but you may have better feet than I.

If you have to choose between the two, I'd go with black. White sneakers shouts American, or trying to look American. Having said that, I've seen plenty of British folks wearing white sneakers, too. Full disclosure, I've not been to Europe since late '06.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my fav. white sneakers are CPs and Margiela, both European???

I've never heard white sneakers = American before..

Those alden shoes are pretty ugly too, big clunky sole, and crepe sole on a shoe seems weird. Get some ankle boots like clarks DB (which is what I wear traveling in the summer) before those..

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I was going to go casual for walking around, while still trying to look nice (isn't that the end goal here?) I would go with anything made by Clae. ( http://www.pickyourshoes.com/shoes.a...productcode=40 )

I own a pair of CLAE Russels in Charcoal wool, and I have never gotten more compliments on a pair of sneakers in my life. In fact I know two people who went out and bought the same exact pair (much to my disliking!
laugh.gif
)

Biggie_Robs

Reaction score
Maybe that was an overstatement on my part. Perhaps I should've said "white sneakers tend to shout American." I first went to Europe when Seinfeld was still on the air, so my whole white sneaker thing might just be a function of ol' Jerry. White sneakers can certainly be done right, though I'd still choose the black.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is odd. The implication seems to be one should try to not "look American". Why would an American in Europe care if he looks like an American? Much better option than trying to blend in and looking eurotrash.

Oh, BTW, black sneakers suck. They look horrible with dark jeans.

WorkingClassDude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylin-1
This thread is odd. The implication seems to be one should try to not "look American". Why would an American in Europe care if he looks like an American? Much better option than trying to blend in and looking eurotrash.

I think the idea is that people will treat you like a marsupial if they think you are from America. There's probably tons of ways to dress somewhere between 'tourist' and 'eurotrash' somehow... but then again I've never been to Europe and have no plans to go.

This may be an odd question, but don't a lot of younger europeans dress like Americans? Tshirts, jeans?

Oh, BTW, black sneakers suck. They look horrible with dark jeans.
Wha-whaaa!?

IBJanky

Reaction score
I'm only taking 2 pairs of jeans with me (I'll be wearing one), and both are dark.

I wonder how black canvas shoes would look with dark jeans.

myke

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
photoshop?

WorkingClassDude

Reaction score
Of course black kicks go with dark denim. I'm sure certain combos might look wonky, but it's not like it's generally bad looking. Black canvas kicks are a staple, they can be made to go with most anything.

It goes without saying: imo, but c'mon...

Biggen

Reaction score
Don't get the thing why white sneakers would make you look like a tourist. Loads of people wear white sneakers in Norway and Sweden and I have never for a second wondered if they're tourists because of that.

And of course black sneakers work with dark jeans.

Too be honest, think you would look more like a native wearing white canvas sneakers here since it's popular every summer.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiddleClassDude
This may be an odd question, but don't a lot of younger europeans dress like Americans? Tshirts, jeans?
No, you'd never mistake one for the other.

Originally Posted by IBJanky
I'm only taking 2 pairs of jeans with me (I'll be wearing one), and both are dark.
In case you feel the need to switch it up a little?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
lol @ alden suggestion, the guy is probably 45 years too young for those still.

white sneakers are staple, black are not imo. you won't get into certain clubs in them, but why would you want to go to those kinds of clubs anyway? JP's are a good choice for just ******** around in, they have that removeable insole and they're pretty comfortable. Stan Smiths are a better choice if you want white leather though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads