1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

B-movies: secret indulgences and cinematical equivalents of disco balls....

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by skalogre, Aug 18, 2006.

1. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Right!

Starting with this one for me: maybe not exactly a B-movie but hilariously strange (and rather vulgar - in a good way!)
    \t
    Kondom des Grauens
    I mean, come on! How can you go wrong witha deranged condom - with teeth!
    Oh and the condom-vision is more unsettling than the snake-o-vision!
    [​IMG]
    Plus, an interesting tidbit: this is a German film about a murderous rubber that pays hommage to the most famous style of French-named German film genre made in Hollywood, the film noir [​IMG]
    (Crap! Must..lower...brow...more [​IMG] )

And, one of my favourite Troma films (at least that I can think of)
    [​IMG]

2. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

Havoc with Anne Hathaway.

3. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

An American Werewolf in London
    Big Trouble In Little China
    Brick
    Brother
    Darkman
    Death Race 2000
    Dead-Alive
    Donnie Darko
    Frailty
    Logan's Run
    Night Of The Creeps
    Pirahna
    Ravenous
    Reanimator
    Repo Man
    Slither
    They Live!
    Tremors
    Zardoz

Best Troma movies are (in order) Class of Nuke Em High, The Toxic Avenger, and Troma's War. Special shout out to Sgt. Kabukiman NYPD.

4. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Not a B-movie really but I love the premise: Full Metal gokudô [​IMG] Reanimator is a great one. Have wanted to see Sgt. Kabukiman, I keep forgetting to look for it!

5. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

6. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

skalogre, if you like Killer Condom, check out Penetration Angst.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0366894/

Will have to look for that one! Thanks

Stelios

7. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Not a B-movie really but I love the premise:

Full Metal gokudô
    [​IMG]

Takashi Miike is one of my favorite directors.

8. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Takashi Miike is one of my favorite directors.
    Yeah! Far from a b-movie director. Plus he has worked with Tsukamoto, how can you get better than that! Edit: have you picked up the book yet? http://www.midnighteye.com/features/agitator.shtml

9. javyn

javyn Senior member

Big Trouble in Little China doesn't belong on this list...It's a badass movie, no one should be ashamed to admit that. John Carpenter movies that aren't just another remake of Assault on Precinct 13 with an alien or monster = good.

Mine are:

Frankenhooker
    Redneck Zombies (classic)
    Toxic Avenger ("I've always wanted to cornhole me a blind bitch!")
    The Untold Story
    Ebola Syndrome (Anthony Wong kicks ass)
    Pink Flamingos

10. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

An American Werewolf in London
    Big Trouble In Little China

Big Trouble's a classic. Kung fu, magic, Kurt Russell (who is himself quite magical) and a young Kim Cattrall, what more could anyone want?

American Werewolf I was on the fence with, until the scene of nonsensical mayhem right at the end, which abruptly cuts into Blue Moon by The Marcels. I laughed so, so very hard.

Darkman
    I will add to this list Darkman II: The Return of Durant and Darkman III: Die, Darkman, Die. Although they weren't so much "good" as they were "not good".

11. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

I LOOVE Miike, but Full Metal Yakuza kinda sucked

my pic for fave B Movies

Suburbia (Penelope Spheeris)
    Johnny Suede
    CryBaby

12. 2000dB

2000dB Senior member

Good movies so far. I remember seeing Killer Condom on TV a few years ago, I didn't expect that. Full Metal Yakuza wasn't as captivating as other Miike movies for me. The last B movie I saw was Die You Zombie Bastards at the Fantasia festival, it was awesome!

13. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Big Trouble in Little China doesn't belong on this list...It's a badass movie, no one should be ashamed to admit that. John Carpenter movies that aren't just another remake of Assault on Precinct 13 with an alien or monster = good.

I guess it all depends on what you consider a "b" movie. Big Trouble In Little China was widely panned on release, and dropped from most theaters in less than two weeks. So basically, any success its had is because of home video and word of mouth.

14. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

American Werewolf I was on the fence with, until the scene of nonsensical mayhem right at the end, which abruptly cuts into Blue Moon by The Marcels. I laughed so, so very hard.

One of my favorite movies... The steadily decomposing dead figment of David's imagination that keeps appearing to crack jokes and beg him to kill himself...
    classic.

15. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

The Black Sexploitation movies, often starring Jim Brown and Fred Williamson, are abominations that I can't stop watching. The Big Bad Mamma movies, too, with Shelley Winters, and Angie Dickinson, are atrocious but fun. And of course, ALL of the Joan Crawford films from her 'deranged', virago period. BERSERK, STRAIGHT JACKET, BABY JANE, I SAW WHAT YOU DID, TROG . . . to an extent, some of JC'S 'good' movies, fall into this camp, as well? Queen Bee, and Harriet Craig, among them.

16. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

There's so many good "b movies" from the highbrow (Touch of evil) to the lowbrow (Sgt. Kabukiman NYPD). Of course what I define as a B movie might be different than what you define as a b movie.

17. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

18. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

Russ Meyer movies.
    There was also some strange Japanese movies..."Iron Mam" -about some guy that mutilates women with his mechanical penis,

Also, "The Suicide Club" ...

19. 2000dB

2000dB Senior member

Russ Meyer movies.
    There was also some strange Japanese movies..."Iron Mam" -about some guy that mutilates women with his mechanical penis,

Also, "The Suicide Club" ...

The japanese movie you're refering to is called Tetsuo (the iron man) and it's seriously a disturbing and excellent movie. The movie is not based around a man mutilating women with his penis, but does indeed drill a girl while having sex at some point, it's quite a weird scene. You should also check out the sequel and in the same genre (man vs. machine) you should check out Meatball Machine. It's a lot easier to watch, but it's also a lot less captivating... still good though.

20. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

i'm sure there are a whole bunch of martial arts B-movies, but i'd have to vote for my favortie, Master of the Flying Guillotine.

-Jeff