• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CTstudent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArteEtLabore14
Even if you didn't enjoy the film this is perhaps the grossest overstatement ever.

More accurately it is the most overrated movie of the last decade. The plot was clichÃ
00a9.png
d/ played out, but wasn't completely terrible. In 2d, the movie is pretty terrible. In 3d the impressive visuals made it a very solid popcorn flick. It was somewhat fun to watch, but not a very strong movie itself.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Sure, if a 3D movie was actually three dimensional. But it's not.

Edit:
What I mean to say is that 3D images do a terrible job trying to "recreate" what people actually experience. Real life, unless you have severely screwed up eyes, does not look anything like a 3D movie. Simply put, it's because your visual cortex is better, faster, and more adaptive than a camera.

A 3D movie (television or video game) is a 2D image that (instead of letting your brain interpret and add depth as in every other 2D media) tries to force an illusion of depth by tricking your visual mechanism with two slightly disparate images. But we already see two disparate images, (since we have two eyes) so they have to eliminate that natural process through technology or we'd see a jumbled, blurry mess. Basically, they are trying to recreate an adaptive and natural part of how your brain and visual cortex function, and replace it with something artificial. So instead of becoming more "natural" or "realistic" it's actually kind of the opposite. Making a 3D movie that is natural and replicates what our eyes would actually see would be pointless, because it would look a lot more like the 2D image we already project in a regular movie, the main difference being that the image would change as you moved around the theater.

Stereo_wiggle_3D.gif

This is why we need holodecks.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just saw Avatar for the first time and it was awesome. That is all.
You're dumb.

Originally Posted by Reggs
Avatar was the worst movie of the past decade.
You're smart.

Even if you didn't enjoy the film this is perhaps the grossest overstatement ever.
Still dumb.

Originally Posted by CTstudent
More accurately it is the most overrated movie of the last decade. The plot was clichÃ
00a9.png
d/ played out, but wasn't completely terrible. In 2d, the movie is pretty terrible. In 3d the impressive visuals made it a very solid popcorn flick. It was somewhat fun to watch, but not a very strong movie itself.

In what respects was the plot not "completely terrible"? A four year old could have told you what was going to happen. In no way is there any character development. Other than giving Cameron an outlet for stupid annoying visuals and awful "3D" animation, the movie added nothing to the world. People like you [that like 3D] are why movies today suck.

ArteEtLabore14

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTstudent
00a9.png

This is certainly closer to the mark.

Originally Posted by deadly7
You're dumb.
You're smart.
Still dumb.
In what respects was the plot not "completely terrible"? A four year old could have told you what was going to happen. In no way is there any character development. Other than giving Cameron an outlet for stupid annoying visuals and awful "3D" animation, the movie added nothing to the world. People like you [that like 3D] are why movies today suck.

Are you honestly going to try and argue that Avatar was a worse movie than, say, Speed Racer, The Love Guru, or Gigli? Really?

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just saw Avatar yesterday... wow! I can't believe all the praise this movie got. The movie was mediocre at best. Kinda knew I wasn't going to like the movie, but I gave it shot anyways. I do regret it now.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Evil military / corporate types exploit innocent natives. Our Hero sees the injustice and switches sides in order to come to the aid of the natives. Against overwhelming odds, the natives are saved. And of course there is a romantic entanglement with one of the natives. This has been done a few hundred times before. The movie was predictable and it sucked. A complete waste of time. I don't give a **** about special effects. I expect an interesting story, and Avatar did not deliver.

aphextwin07

Reaction score
Crapatar. or should I say Pocahontas 3D. did anyone seriously actually enjoy this dud? the story was awful, the creatures and environments a blatant rip-off of computer games that were out years before it's inception, the acting just downright atrocious, the list goes on.... the only saving grace was that the CGI looked good. but in all honesty, i seriously couldn't wait for it to end after the first 40 minutes or so. James Cameron has done some great films but this one really has zero replay value.

Anthony K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't go see it in theaters, the previews didn't impress me. I ended up seeing it because a friend of mine gave me a bootleg copy of it (theater quality), so I took the time out to watch it. I didn't hate it, but I wasn't impressed by it. When I finished I was glad I didn't spend the money to see it in the theater. It was way overrated in my opinion and I still can't believe it made all that money.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Screw this. I'll watch Avatar the day I watch Titanic, which is still sitting on my shelf in VHS format, in original shrink wrap.

aphextwin07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Screw this. I'll watch Avatar the day I watch Titanic, which is still sitting on my shelf in VHS format, in original shrink wrap.
Actually, Titanic was not half-bad from what I remember of it. Certainly much better than I had expected it to be. I did wait a few years after it's release before watching it though, as it looked like a lame chick-flick and I used to hate on Leo at the time. Kind of funny in retrospect, as most of his filmography afterwards is pretty much amazing.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Avatar was marsupialed. But also brought the most awesome thing ever to the big screen . . . a mech with a knife. Not some laser sword, or gigantic blade-arm, it had a knife.

filmstill213.jpg

I mean, when he busted it out, I was ROFL'ing so hard. Why is something ridiculous like that awesome? Because you have this advance human race which has been peaceful with the Na'vi for the most part, and when they haven't been, they've had no trouble just shooting the **** out of them.

So at what point did some moran at the mech design lab decide that their mech suits needed a sheath and a combat knife? Couldn't they just have built blades into the forearms of the suit? No, they made a separate knife that is to be wielded like normal. That's awesome.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by celery
Avatar was marsupialed. But also brought the most awesome thing ever to the big screen . . . a mech with a knife. Not some laser sword, or gigantic blade-arm, it had a knife.

That's a really good call. I never thought about it before.
smile.gif

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The knife isn't surprising. Marines love their KA-BAR's. Some Marine consultant probably suggested it and Cameron thought it would look cool.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by celery

I mean, when he busted it out, I was ROFL'ing so hard. Why is something ridiculous like that awesome? Because you have this advance human race which has been peaceful with the Na'vi for the most part, and when they haven't been, they've had no trouble just shooting the **** out of them.

So at what point did some moran at the mech design lab decide that their mech suits needed a sheath and a combat knife? Couldn't they just have built blades into the forearms of the suit? No, they made a separate knife that is to be wielded like normal. That's awesome.

I had a 15 minute argument about this with someone the day I saw the movie. They tried to convince me that a knife was an intelligent choice. I basically gave them the same answer you did.... Serious, you could build an extra gun on the arm, sharpen the edges of the arms. ****, make it a swiss-army knife arm.... have like 4 different blades and a bottle opener stuffed in there.... instead they strap a knife to him.....

The actual move wasn't horrible...... I mean, if it was released on its own, with none of the hype and what not... it would have been a sub-par rental. Like... 2 out of 5. Nothing special, or even good, but not horrible either. How it was played up though, and so much attention given to it.... it was just blown out of proportion.

Chiaroscuro

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Colonel Quaritch was the **** though. Not as badass as Hicks, but he did alright.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads