• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
thanks for the reply! Ok, I see where you are coming from.

I actually had a 'having a look' appointment with both Institchu & Montagio recently to determine what they had to offer and pricing. I chose them based on Google feedback ratings & referrals from some mates.
Both stores are quite similar in what they offer and also in pricing.
I looked at an italian wool super 130s houndstooth pattern suit with working buttons, stitching and customised jacket lining. Got quoted around the $900 - $1100 mark for a 2-piece custom tailored suit.

Am still deciding which store to go for. Would love some feedback on Aus-based SF members who have purchased from them before.

regarding online retailers in Oz, there are heaps! haha....
The most popular ones seem to be George & King, thesuitfactory, Chokman, suitmeup, tailorsmark & Germanicos.
not sure who is good, they all seem to mostly do made-to-measure with some offering on-site visits.

cheers
Ok so in reply to this, I would not go to either of those stores, nor would even consider any of those online retailers.

If you are after affordable MTM in Australia I would choose between Oscar Hunt, SuitShop, Herman Brothers or Deerstyle. The others do not come close to these in terms of quality, fitting expertise or styling.

You may still be happy with the outcome and your mates may have been happy with theirs, but you won't find people on this forum recommending many other places due to the reasons I've mentioned. Indeed I would recommend off the rack suiting before those operators as at least you can have confidence about the quality of the product and the way it will fit.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They will open in the Strand.

Interesting Anderw McDonald is in the same arcade wonder how that will affect his business also Suit Shop in Strand. Convergence of convenience.

skeen7908

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Ok so in reply to this, I would not go to either of those stores, nor would even consider any of those online retailers.

If you are after affordable MTM in Australia I would choose between Oscar Hunt, SuitShop, Herman Brothers or Deerstyle. The others do not come close to these in terms of quality, fitting expertise or styling.

You may still be happy with the outcome and your mates may have been happy with theirs, but you won't find people on this forum recommending many other places due to the reasons I've mentioned. Indeed I would recommend off the rack suiting before those operators as at least you can have confidence about the quality of the product and the way it will fit.

Not p.johnson?

Last edited:

Dusty Brogues

Reaction score
You sure your not Elite's PR machine on the sidelines Jim

Thanasi

Reaction score
Thanks for that link. I've actually read that before & it gives some good insight into suiting choices here in Oz.

However, its a bit dated now and needs updates to include new suppliers. Especially custom tailors and Oz based online retailers.

Hence why I asked about feedback from guys who have bought from Suitshop, Institchu or Montagio in Sydney.

Thanks again in advance for any feedback!

For me, Suitshop is gold. I have purchased two suits from them, one in navy blue and the other in an English-weave charcoal. Happy with both purchases. I'm 6'4" and found it hard to buy a suit at a decent price point. Anything else was more expensive and required tailoring anyway.

Their business shirts are awesome too. Firstly I purchased a light-blue shirt. The fabric was thick, the sleeve length was perfect. I purchased another four with different stripes etc. Now I never have to worry about my clothes. The sleeves are always coming out the jacket at the correct length. Because I work in IT, I wanted style without looking slick, and the boys at Suitshop helped me attain that.

I have since asked them to make some chinos and now I'm looking at a casual jacket. I want to buy some more shirts from them too.

I could write a more detailed review but I know nothing about clothes anyway and am not as stylish as many of the gentlemen on this forum. I just know I want to put on some clothes, have style, and never have to worry about what I'm wearing until I get home at night. I know Suitshop can take care of me with clothes, and Herring/Cheaney/Loake can take care of the shoes.

Last edited:

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They will open in the Strand.

Interesting Anderw McDonald is in the same arcade wonder how that will affect his business also Suit Shop in Strand. Convergence of convenience.

Andrew McDonald's shoes are extremely ugly.... I don't think they compete with each other, haha.

Edwardz

Reaction score

Ed et al trunkshow is a go. I'm helping to put together a guest list. Their new website is also up if you want to peep their new RTW collection, their lasts, and leathers -- http://edetal.sg/ They'll be taking bespoke and MTO orders. Their RTW collection will also be available. As part of the trunk show, they're running this promotion/discount: [COLOR=373E4D]20% off 1 pair, 25% off 2 pairs and 30% off 3 pairs and beyond in a single receipt.[/COLOR] [COLOR=373E4D]Every MTO order will come with a free custom belt.[/COLOR] PM me if you're keen and/or need more details!
Are the RTW shoes made in Singapore? Was unable to find info on their website

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Andrew McDonald's shoes are extremely ugly.... I don't think they compete with each other, haha.

I wouldn't say that they were ugly but they are definitely not of the same aesthetic as Suit Shop. Whilst they are not for me, I can appreciate the AM look, and would purchase them over their other counterparts, such as Guidi.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads