• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder whether department stores participate in a single market, so much as multiple smaller markets for menswear, womenswear, cosmetics, white goods, electronics etc etc.

I can't see a merger substantially lessening competition in any individual market, other than maybe cosmetics, about which I know little.

FWIW, I will buy almost anything I can from Myer or DJs (in that order) for one reason - ease of returns. If something stops working after a few months, the liklihood of replacement or store credit is great; almost a certainty. I have found this even with clothing and footwear - my girlfriend had some (not inexpensive) shoes start to come apart after a few months, and we were able to return with no hassles.

A little beside the point I know, but in an era where 'customer service' is a bit of a joke at department stores, it keeps me coming back. Will a merger change this? I honestly don't know...

BaldwinP

Reaction score
Not to mention online sales.

Not mentioning online sales has kind of been their problem.

I can't see the ACCC having a problem with a merger if it even ever comes to that. But Myers and DJs are delusional if they think it will solve anything. Their business models are under siege, and when it comes to "evolve or die" so far they seem to have been choosing "die". Every new overseas retailer who arrives here is taking another chunk out of them.

I think there's certain markets they are quite good in. I find them very useful for things like homewares where I can expect a wide range and a lot of good prices at any time of year. Socks and jocks, another item where they have good range and there's always a sale on to keep them competitive, and when I have to buy cosmetics as gifts at Christmas there's no better choice. But they've given up or all but given up on so many types of goods that they've lost the "one stop shop" aspect, and of course their core business of clothing has just become so competitive and they are not keeping up there at all as so many Australian clothing retailers aren't. Oh yeah, and they didn't just miss the boat on online shopping, they missed every other boat, desperately dived to get into the last ferry before the crossing closed overnight, and fell in the water...

crappbag

Reaction score

My brown suit. Would like to have a darker one a la suitshops as well.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting comments on the proposed Myer DJ merger. General view seems to be that merging two struggling business with outmoded business models will do little to solve the underlying problems and offer little new to consumers.

On another issue, Turkish cotton? It's often praised as ideal for towels, but how does it stack up for shirting?

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe that the idea of the merger would be for Myer to go downmarket, and DJs upmarket. So I suppose at does lessen competition, in one regard.

So far as menswear consumers are concerned, I think that this would be an improvement over the current situation: 70% of the same brands, and a lot of the higher end offering at DJs is pretty indifferent (admittedly, I live in Brisbane).

I know that I'm too optimistic hoping for a clone of Barney's or Isetan, but surely it's better than what we have now?

Erwino

Reaction score
Quick callout guys to anyone interested in Tom Ford Fragrances. I was trying to line up a decant of Tobacco Vanille through a split purchase by RedDevil (http://www.styleforum.net/t/351904/tom-ford-private-blend-creed-and-amouage-fragrances). Unfortunately a couple buyers fell through so looking for more. I was hoping to get this in time for the wedding so thought I'd spruik it a bit on here in case anyone was interested. Praces are way better than trying to actually pick it up here in Aus. I recall some guys discussing doing this a few months back though I can't recall if anything came of it.

This is a much better deal, he charges $11USD to ship to Aus. It's almost closed too, only 50mls left of the TV. Also theres 45mls left to close of tobacco oud. I've put my name down for the tobacco oud, if you happen to live in Brisbane let me know and we could save on shipping.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/297293-TOM-FORD-SPLITS-125-(50ml)-US-CANADA-amp-PM-ME-FOR-WORLDWIDE

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I believe that the idea of the merger would be for Myer to go downmarket, and DJs upmarket. So I suppose at does lessen competition, in one regard.

Surely, that's already the case? Whilst I do think that Myer has attempted to improve itself over the past few years, it took a very big dive downmarket in the late 1990s and has never really recovered from it.

I remember shopping at the Myer Brisbane City store, and the menswear section was full of wood panelling and had a good range of higher-end brands, including Zegna - and they even offered Zegna MTO for a period of time. Unfortunately, within a few years, the menswear had been moved down to the ground floor and everything was housed on rather temporary-looking stands amongst white laminate furnishings. It's better than it was, but a long way from what it was in the past.

Arch3r

Reaction score
Surely, that's already the case? Whilst I do think that Myer has attempted to improve itself over the past few years, it took a very big dive downmarket in the late 1990s and has never really recovered from it.

I remember shopping at the Myer Brisbane City store, and the menswear section was full of wood panelling and had a good range of higher-end brands, including Zegna - and they even offered Zegna MTO for a period of time. Unfortunately, within a few years, the menswear had been moved down to the ground floor and everything was housed on rather temporary-looking stands amongst white laminate furnishings. It's better than it was, but a long way from what it was in the past.
Zegna really? I usually avoid Myer like the plague as it's filled with Kenji and Van heusen, That's not to say David Jones is much better these days, having said that DJs in Sydney conservative business dress is pretty good Zega/Gieves+Hawkes/Canali. I think the idea of breaking up the market formally for Myer/DJs is a moot point, it already is. There's always going to be some overlap.

I really don't understand how these stores haven't been looking at the likes of Nordstrom/Selfridges/Harrods etc. get an online presence and sign some decent stuff. I am so sick to death of this retail dumping ground we call Australia. What irritates me most is that these companies have the gaul to turn around and blame consumers for purchasing things online.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My brown suit. Would like to have a darker one a la suitshops as well.

Here's my Canali brown suit. As you can see, it's an unusual weave, incorporating both brown and (improbably) white thread. However, the overall effect is definitely brown.

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember the days it was called Grace Bros.

ovlov

Reaction score
This is a much better deal, he charges $11USD to ship to Aus. It's almost closed too, only 50mls left of the TV. Also theres 45mls left to close of tobacco oud. I've put my name down for the tobacco oud, if you happen to live in Brisbane let me know and we could save on shipping.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/297293-TOM-FORD-SPLITS-125-(50ml)-US-CANADA-amp-PM-ME-FOR-WORLDWIDE
Thanks for the head up mate.

However I'm in a rush and this guy has offered to ship immediately with a discount on the shipping. I also have no experience with basenotes but (rightly or wrongly) I find I trust established SF members enough to dive in without worrying about getting scammed or stuffed around. (though tbh I may review that decision soon based on my current tie debacle).

boff

Reaction score
Any thoughts on odd trousers? I've got a few pairs, grey flannel (one light weight, one medium weight), khaki chinos, khaki fine wool dress trousers, and a pair of brown worsted. So basically just plain grey and plain khaki and plain brown.

Do you think these would be a legit choice?

I'm thinking these could only be worn with a plain (or lightly textured, e.g. herringbone) sports coat, which discounts about half of mine straight away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads