• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gerry, can I trouble you for some feedback on your Bill's Khakis; wondering what the fit is and what the rise is.

The rise feels as high as my wool trousers but I needed to get them tapered to look right as they were straight all the way through.

I have a couple of pairs that I got based on the waist rather than the thigh and they fit too tightly - as a result I don't use them anymore but you live and learn!

katalyst

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm going to have a couple of suits made, after a couple of years' hiatus, and I'd greatly appreciate some assistance with a few questions:

The last two that I had made were made by Adamo. I'm happy to consider other tailors for these next two (not to intimate that there was something wrong with the suits that were made, but I'd like to try others) is it still the case that the recommended trio are JH Cutler, Adamo and Sam Disano?

I read extensively before I had the first two made, but found that, when I arrived at Adamo's, I really still didn't know what I stylistically wanted; I couldn't have given instructions that would have resulted in anything like a coherent, elegant suit. I also found that I didn't know the full set of things that - style aside - I should have requested, as things that are appropriate to a bespoke suit or shirt. I was a little dissatisfied to find that, without having expressly specified details, things like buttons, surgeon's cuffs were omitted or of lesser quality. Any thoughts on where to start if I want to try and redress that this time? Style isn't something that I'm going to pick up in a week or so, but something like a list of things that ought to be done would be of great help.

Finally, I'll also have some shirts made. I've been generally pleased with Charles Nahkle, though I've had some problems, such as collars de-laminating. Who else is out there?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I also noticed that Adamo's son seems to be doing most of the work now, with an assistant. Has anyone had any recent experience? Does an Adamo suit still have much to do with Adamo?

Last edited:

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

p johnson. suitshop.

Yeah the Pjohnson Napoli and Roma ranges would be worth consideration vs those above mentioned

jobro

Reaction score
Hi LonerMatt did you mean http://www.suitshop.com ? I tried suit-shop.com as mentioned in this (http://www.styleforum.net/t/157432/suit-shop-com-australia-patrick-johnson-any-feedback ) thread but that site isn't working. Thanks for the info so far.
http://suitshop.com.au/ Run by our very own Romp!
I find the suitshop.com.au website/recommendations pretty useless. "To make an appointment please contact [email protected]" An appointment where?

Last edited:

TehBunny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The rise feels as high as my wool trousers but I needed to get them tapered to look right as they were straight all the way through.

I have a couple of pairs that I got based on the waist rather than the thigh and they fit too tightly - as a result I don't use them anymore but you live and learn!
Which fit did you go for by the way? From the tightness you experienced from going waist size guessing the m3?

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do herringbone still sell C&J? they seem to have disappeared from their online catalogue...

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
There don't seem to be many bespoke-ballers in this thread; certainly no one with experience beyond P Johnson so advice may be a bit thin. If you want to go true bespoke, the other I would look into (I have no experience, this comment is based purely on observation), have a look at Zink and Sons. I haven't seen anyone even mention Disano or Adamo since reading stuff posted by Sator years ago, it's all been about PJ since then. Have a look at their facebook for an idea of the kind of things they make: https://www.facebook.com/zinkandsons. Whatever choice you make, make sure you post photos! It would be great to see more posted about Australian bespoke tailoring, good luck!
Hi all,

I'm going to have a couple of suits made, after a couple of years' hiatus, and I'd greatly appreciate some assistance with a few questions:

The last two that I had made were made by Adamo. I'm happy to consider other tailors for these next two (not to intimate that there was something wrong with the suits that were made, but I'd like to try others) is it still the case that the recommended trio are JH Cutler, Adamo and Sam Disano?

I read extensively before I had the first two made, but found that, when I arrived at Adamo's, I really still didn't know what I stylistically wanted; I couldn't have given instructions that would have resulted in anything like a coherent, elegant suit. I also found that I didn't know the full set of things that - style aside - I should have requested, as things that are appropriate to a bespoke suit or shirt. I was a little dissatisfied to find that, without having expressly specified details, things like buttons, surgeon's cuffs were omitted or of lesser quality. Any thoughts on where to start if I want to try and redress that this time? Style isn't something that I'm going to pick up in a week or so, but something like a list of things that ought to be done would be of great help.

Finally, I'll also have some shirts made. I've been generally pleased with Charles Nahkle, though I've had some problems, such as collars de-laminating. Who else is out there?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I also noticed that Adamo's son seems to be doing most of the work now, with an assistant. Has anyone had any recent experience? Does an Adamo suit still have much to do with Adamo?

coxaca

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Have to be italian?

ChinChins is pretty good. South East asian though. No bookings, however.

Thanks, we went there. Great recommendation.

boff

Reaction score

Hi all,

I'm going to have a couple of suits made, ...................

Matthew Lawrence. http://www.mlbespoke.com.au/

I have had a two piece, three piece, a sports jacket and a couple of odd pairs of slacks from him as well as a few shirts. All fully bespoke. Modern yet classic, bla bla bla. Incredible selection of fabric, gives good advice (e.g. don't **** around with super light weights, they drape like **** and wear out fast). Expect things to take around a month to 6 weeks.

I heard he's closing down his Paddington shop which is a great shame as it was a lovely place to hide when the wife was shopping/whatever. But he will still keep the bespoke operation going.

Last edited:

g-banger

Reaction score
Finally got some wearing time with the meermins over the weekend - sorry for the horrendous photo picture.

also i got some shoe cleaning in.

finally - if anyone is keen im selling my Herring Gorsforth II on the bay. They are a little big for me and dont get enough wear. sized 8.5 F if anyone wants to PM me if interested.
Update: I couldn't do it i ended the listing, going to see if i can get a innersole to make bigger. Such a beautiful shoe.

Have a good week guys

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads