• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ever wanted to wear super sleek shoes but didn't have the properly shaped feet? A solution is at hand!

On another note, I'm wearing my Henry Carter gingham shirt, HC orange knit tie and blue PJ suit. Only thing missing is RMs on my feet!

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

I literally don't own any clothing from non australian brands when it comes to formalwear.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Businesswear might be a better term.

RM williams shoes, MJ Bale suits + shirts, HC ties, bonds. thats it.

quar

Reaction score

I don't know about the others but i'd say A Mcdonald workmanship is not too bad; as far as i'm aware it's all hand made, good year or otherwise. And the leather would be locally sourced.
I live around the corner from his studio so i'll pop in to confirm. regarding the styles, i personally like my toes touching the ground but I do have blue suede hiking boots from Italy so each to their own.

You ever handled an $800 shoe from another maker? You clearly don't know enough to be making an informed comment. What does being locally sourced mean? Are you making excuses for the crap leather he uses?

Andrew McDonald's shoes look and feel second-rate. That's generous. They are horrendously over-priced. Just because you made it with your hands, doesn't mean it is any better than something made by machine.

Look, I'm Australian too. As much as I'd love to support a local operation, I'm going to call an orange an orange. His shoes are over-priced and poor quality relative to that price. You'd be extremely better off spending your money on mid-tier English shoes, such as Crockett & Jones.

Last edited:

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
This forum really needs some sort of "ok fellas, take it outside" feature.
Anyway, back onto the minutiae of mens clothing -
A while back we had a very in depth discussion on the subject of popovers. Material, collar, pleats, cuffs, placket length etc. etc. - everyone had a different idea of what it should look like. I just had a try on of my one from Luxire so I thought I'd put it on display. Top is an old J-Crew one that I bought the Luxire one to replace, bottom is the new one.
I think all in all I prefer the shorter placket look. I think it looks a bit smarter: it's very similar to a long sleeved polo shirt/rugby really. I also like the longer placket though, and being able to undo it a bit further makes it a bit more casual to my eye. I'm considering ordering one with a longer placket in 100% white linen as a beach house shirt.It's probably not a fair competition since the J-Crew one is so wrinkled.
My one criticism of the luxire model is that I think the pocket is a bit too big - it starts to curve round my chest, I'll probably get a new one cut to stitch on.
Looking forward to seeing and quite possibly purchasing the O&J linen/cotton models in the near future!
Apologies in advance fxh - you're going to hate the shorter placket/fitted look...

Our Popovers just left New England :)

I few guys might not agree with what we did though - Full cutaway, no pocket, mid length placket, cut shorter so it can be worn out or in and in Queen's oxford cloth instead (cotton linen was freaking expensive - would have brought it up to $250ish a shirt!)

Also introducing a pale blue dress shirt to the range and restocking some of the sizes that have sold out of our existing range.

When I get your feedback on the new shirts then we have another drop in January to expand on the styles that everyone likes.

quar

Reaction score
Any more loafers coming out anytime soon Romp?

I'm smashing the ones I bought. They are just fantastic.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Our Popovers just left New England :)

I few guys might not agree with what we did though - Full cutaway, no pocket, mid length placket, cut shorter so it can be worn out or in and in Queen's oxford cloth instead  (cotton linen was freaking expensive - would have brought it up to $250ish a shirt!)

Also introducing a pale blue dress shirt to the range and restocking some of the sizes that have sold out of our existing range.

When I get your feedback on the new shirts then we have another drop in January to expand on the styles that everyone likes.

Awesome. It sounds very Agnelli. I applaud you guys for doing something different - there are already a million OCBD popovers out there. Shame about the linen though! That is really damn expensive.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FR has a pitch on Floris 89 as being Bond's favourite after shave in todays L&L.

Henry Bucks and few other outlets have stocked it for years.

I wonder if its time has come and will it turn into this years Eternity?

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1
EDIT: I think quar is being nice. Many of the lasts I've seen look shithouse. Genuinely ugly. But, as elvish just said, 'each to their own'.

I suppose it is my inner goth ninja coming out. :)

I'll probably reserve judgement until I see or try them. I wasn't personally voucing for the shoes or their quality or style, but rather commenting that there does seem to be enough supprt for some relatively niche products in the Australian market, and extrapolating from there.

Matt, if I was in Mildura, and I'm not, as you may gather, I'd be quietly and respectfully poking around town looking for old Italian or other shoemakers and tailors. Talking to people - checking them out - seeing what they do - drinking grappa .......sitting in sheds ... sniffing ........... interesting town Mildura - despite the yob factor.

Trust me. There's nothing in the way of shoesmakers or tailors here. Even the shoe repair place is pretty weird.....

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Trust me. There's nothing in the way of shoesmakers or tailors here. Even the shoe repair place is pretty weird.....

Sad to say its common in most large rural towns/cities now. When I lived in WW there was only one tailor who was reducded to alterations only. As for shoes well it was either RM or Rosi work boots.

I found that if I wanted to buy clothing I had to travel to Albury where they were a couple of good shops whose sales alone were worth the trip.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sad to say it's common in all Australian most large rural towns cities now. When I lived in WW there was only one tailor who was reducded to alterations only. As for shoes well it was either RM or Rosi work boots.
I found that if I wanted to buy clothing I had to travel to Albury New York or London where there were a couple of good shops whose sales alone were worth the trip.

I changed this to resemble my experience of shopping in Australia :)

Last edited:

catpower

Reaction score
Heading into a (physical!) MJ Bale store to lift my suit game today - will probably opt for the 2 for 1000 deal depending on what's on offer. Definitely a charcoal/grey (thinking the Mudgee Grey Weave - looking at you, Jason/Charlie's Wardrobe!) and maybe a blue/navy.

Sydneysiders, is there much difference between the flagship Woollahra store and the others in terms of the range/stock they have on offer? Westfield Syd is more convenient but I don't want to be left hanging for choices.

wishiwasricher

Reaction score
Ive been biting my tongue watching the discussion deteriorate.

One of the best things about the Aussie thread is the lack of snarkiness that is present in the other threads. I dont care if the reason for the snarkiness is valid in some cases but overall the Australian thread has been devoid of the name calling, arguments, and "get the last word in mentality".

Can we please just get back to the old methods please. I want to see pictures of shoes rather than pages of well crafted vitriol.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I changed this to resemble my experience of shopping in Australia :)

Well if you talk the talk you better walk the walk at cawfee. I expect to see those cordovan boots at the least on Saturday.:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads