• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porschemad911
I've got a couple of jackets / shirts from the Lands End Canvas range, I'm a 15.5/34.5 in Lewin slim fit (but have to tailor the sides in a bit for a good fit), the size M shirts are LEC is a similar fit to my pre-tailored Lewin slim fit (maybe slightly longer sleeves, but that probably varies depending on the shirt in question). I don't have any stuff from the normal LE range.
Speaking of Land's End and LE Canvas, it's worth noting that they have an Australian return address. Therefore, if you order something and it doesn't suit you or if you don't like it, you only have to ship it to Sydney, rather than back to the US. It's inexpensive, quick and simple. As for sizing, I have a 44" chest and a 16" neck and I take an "L" in LE Canvas shirts. The standard LE shirts have neck sizing (15.5, 16 etc) and, in my experience at least, the LE slim-fit is just a little slimmer than the standard LE Canvas fit. In other words, the "fit hierarchy" is, in my experience, moving from slimmer to blousier: LE slim-fit; LE Canvas; LE standard fit.

ned kelly

Reaction score
I find the staff at American Tailors very helpful and friendly.I have thought about getting a bespoke suit. Has anyone had a suit made there or know the cost of their suits?

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ned kelly
I find the staff at American Tailors very helpful and friendly.I have thought about getting a bespoke suit. Has anyone had a suit made there or know the cost of their suits?

You want the full metal jacket including helmet?
biggrin.gif

couleur

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend me a good tailor in Melbourne city who does good workmanship but doesn't rip off their customers?

I used to go to this place called "expert alterations" in royal arcade, bourke street. And the Italian lady who recognize me as a person who always bring in the "good stuff" to alter. She soon charge me from 25 bucks to alter a shirt to fit till 39 bucks, and pants shortening became 20 to 27. And there was once a small stitching came out from the back of my Hugo Boss tie and she ripped me with a charged of 12.50 just to sew back one stitch. I was so pissed off I told her it is just ridiculous and than she waved it off and told me it was fixed priced.

I get pretty pissed off when I see her charge others for much less and when i bargain with her, she keeps telling me the prices are fixed. But I got to say that their workmanship is one of the best i've seen and many people send them clothes to alter.

Anyone who has a better alternative of how i could resolve this problem?
fight[1].gif

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For alterations, Katrina's on lane way just off Bourke near Parliament station.

porschemad911

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lennier
Thanks PM911, sounds like I'd be looking at a small then, since the collar size will be relatively unimportant. Want to buy a 928 btw? :)

Haha, I would love a 928, they sound fantastic, but I'm still enjoying the Ralliart Colt I bought November last year too much to change over to anything else just yet :)

porschemad911

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Speaking of Land's End and LE Canvas, it's worth noting that they have an Australian return address. Therefore, if you order something and it doesn't suit you or if you don't like it, you only have to ship it to Sydney, rather than back to the US. It's inexpensive, quick and simple.

Cool, thanks for the info! I donated a couple of polos to charity from my last order because I thought it wasn't worth sending them back to the US.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
+1.

Excellent value, particularly during one of Lands' End's quite frequent 25-30% off sales (and they might even be having one right now).

Thanks for mentioning this. I went there last night and picked up a couple of OCBD one for work and the Hyde Park for social situations with postage it came to $72 Oz, some pundits are predicting that the $ will hit $1.15 in May. Will try the LLBean site later today.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by couleur
Can anyone recommend me a good tailor in Melbourne city who does good workmanship but doesn't rip off their customers?

I've been getting some good results from an alterations tailor who is in the ground floor of the Myer building in Docklands. His name is Sam, and he claims to have 35+ years experience. I've been taking quite a few suits and pants to him recently for the usual alterations. He does a good job and he knows quality when he sees it (he raved about a thrifted Chester Barrie I took in there). Charges $15 to shorten trousers and $25 to let out the waist, as a guide.

streetminimal

Reaction score
The Lands' End undershirts are so soft and comfortable. They're awesome.

ryanohare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
I've been getting some good results from an alterations tailor who is in the ground floor of the Myer building in Docklands. His name is Sam, and he claims to have 35+ years experience. I've been taking quite a few suits and pants to him recently for the usual alterations. He does a good job and he knows quality when he sees it (he raved about a thrifted Chester Barrie I took in there). Charges $15 to shorten trousers and $25 to let out the waist, as a guide.

Thanks for this. That's not far from where I work, and anything that saves me driving into the city is a bonus.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by couleur
Can anyone recommend me a good tailor in Melbourne city who does good workmanship but doesn't rip off their customers? I used to go to this place called "expert alterations" in royal arcade, bourke street. And the Italian lady who recognize me as a person who always bring in the "good stuff" to alter. She soon charge me from 25 bucks to alter a shirt to fit till 39 bucks, and pants shortening became 20 to 27. And there was once a small stitching came out from the back of my Hugo Boss tie and she ripped me with a charged of 12.50 just to sew back one stitch. I was so pissed off I told her it is just ridiculous and than she waved it off and told me it was fixed priced. I get pretty pissed off when I see her charge others for much less and when i bargain with her, she keeps telling me the prices are fixed. But I got to say that their workmanship is one of the best i've seen and many people send them clothes to alter. Anyone who has a better alternative of how i could resolve this problem?
fight[1].gif

Ever been in business for yourself? - I can tell you people who push push for discounts etc on small jobs will encounter "fixed price" and rising prices and hard bargaining. Mostly as a small business you try to get rid of these customers. Around $30 for a shirt alteration is standard. Pants alteration length $15 - $25. Whats $5 or $10 on a good job. Regarding the tie stitch. There has to be some minimum charge to even begin a job $12.50 seems fine. Think how much you earn an hour - how much office rent you pay - sick leave? holidays, insurance, lights , equipment?? Check out prices on the big alterations chain - Alter It is it? - then you'll see normal prices for normal work - great work should cost more.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently there's a guy who does Topy jobs for cheap (I think it was about $20?) down at Dimmey's in Footscray. Anyone know anything about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads