• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricotta

Reaction score
both when i last checked, though i don't think they're getting any new stock in so it'll be whatever's left.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ricotta
both when i last checked, though i don't think they're getting any new stock in so it'll be whatever's left.

So American Tailors is going to stop stocking C&J, in favour of Gaziano and Girling??

The two are almost mutually exclusive - I don't think that you'd find many customers who would otherwise buy C&J deciding to buy G&G as, at full retail price in Australia, they are probably going to be at least $700 apart in pricing, if not considerably more.

I realise that, at those prices, they don't want a great deal of inventory accumulation but if it happens, it still seems like a bit of an odd decision.

Still, if AT stops stocking C&J, that might open the market up for Herringbone...

__PG__

Reaction score
Are you guys suggesting that AT has some sort of exclusive distribution deal for C&J in Melbourne?

I thought you could buy them at Henry Buck's?

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
Are you guys suggesting that AT has some sort of exclusive distribution deal for C&J in Melbourne?

I thought you could buy them at Henry Buck's?

I don't recall ever seeing C&J's at Henry Bucks. They've stocked Churches for years now and last time I was in there, about 2 months ago, they had a couple of pairs of EG's at $2000 a pair.

It will be interesting to see what AT decides to charge for GGs.

Oleg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Are you talking about standard RM Williams bootpolish or something else entirely (if so, pics would be good)?
confused.gif
Thanks

No pics, sorry. But it's a standard RMW shoe cream - comes in a tube, costs 15 bucks or so, apply to warm leather and seems to work just fine. I got mine from the bloke in the booth that resoles shoes, cuts keys etc - not a speciality product, as far as I can tell. Canberra is hardly a bastion of quality footwear so I'd be staggered if it's not available in the other capitals.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I use it on other leather stuff like (non RM) leather belts and wallets ?

RM Williams recommends that you use it on leather saddles, so I dare say that you can use it on various leather goods to keep the leather supple and moisturised. I used it on the leather buckles on my Burberry trenchcoat without any problems.

ricotta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
RM Williams recommends that you use it on leather saddles, so I dare say that you can use it on various leather goods to keep the leather supple and moisturised. I used it on the leather buckles on my Burberry trenchcoat without any problems.

i finally picked up a tub the other day and it seems to moisturize beautifully, however i was surprised to find application isn't like your typical leather conditioner. basically it doesn't brush off as easily for a nice shine like my last conditioner did - i suspect the price one pays for better moisturization.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman

Originally Posted by ricotta
i finally picked up a tub the other day and it seems to moisturize beautifully, however i was surprised to find application isn't like your typical leather conditioner. basically it doesn't brush off as easily for a nice shine like my last conditioner did - i suspect the price one pays for better moisturization.

I just rub it on with my fingers, let it soak in and dry for a couple of days, and then give the shoes a rub-down with a soft, lint-free cloth.

It doesn't give as much of a shine as does a good polish like Saphir, but it does give the shoes a bit of a nice, deep glow and it keeps the leather soft and supple.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Anyone know where to get Saphir shoe polish in Melbourne?
confused.gif

As far as I know there isn't any place that has Saphir. I would love to be proven wrong though (especially if they have the full range).

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where to get Saphir shoe polish in Melbourne?
confused.gif

Nowhere in Australia, as far as I am aware.

I picked up some tins in Tokyo as it is pretty freely available there and also in HK.

If you want to buy some online, you have quite a few options.

Franco's (in the US):
http://www.francos.com/items/index.a...19042&catID=71

Torquato (in the UK):
http://www.torquato.co.uk/saphir-shoe-shine-wax.html

Valmour (in France):
http://www.valmour.com/cleaning-leat...shoe-polish-71

Or on eBay:
http://stores.ebay.com/TW-Shoe-Care

Please note that I have not bought from any of these places and so I can't directly comment on the service or relative price advantages of any of them.

I have, however, heard good things about Franco's from other people on this forum.

Sydguy

Reaction score
I got an email a couple of days ago introducing HB's C&J stock. No mention of location from memory.

Sign up to their website and you get the odd update. Got a raffle at work tomorrow, one of the prizes is a $400 HB voucher! Knowing my luck if I win anything it will be something very lame.

Got my Churro brown 1 button Osaka back from alterations, and wore it today. Went brown shoes/belt and I think it looked very slick, note I may be biased.

I felt comfy and the gay guys and some girls at work passed compliments. In all honesty and I have only worn it once it feels a lot better, and seems to move better than the Sportscraft suits I have. The Sportscraft is nice standing still, but walking around it just seems to bunch/crease a bit tight in places. Might just be fit/size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 45 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads