• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Selvaggio

Reaction score
What's this "Black Friday" the seppos are on about?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's this "Black Friday" the seppos are on about?

It's a Friday near the end of November and it's the traditional start date of the holiday shopping season in the US.

Apparently, it's known as "black" Friday because it's around then - with increasing consumer spending in the lead-up to Christmas - that retailers supposedly become profitable for the US financial year (which is different from ours), so they are trading "in the black", hence black Friday.

A lot of retailers invest in advertising and have sales to coincide with the day/week.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a Friday near the end of November and it's the traditional start date of the holiday shopping season in the US.
Apparently, it's known as "black" Friday because it's around then - with increasing consumer spending in the lead-up to Christmas - that retailers supposedly become profitable for the US financial year (which is different from ours), so they are trading "in the black", hence black Friday.
A lot of retailers invest in advertising and have sales to coincide with the day/week.

Yep, it also falls on thanks giving time too, I was in Hawaii last year for it. Many good sales to be had over there, kind of crazy crowds etc though.

Selvaggio

Reaction score
I see. That kind of contrasts with the perma-sale/not-really-a-sale that we have here.

I understand that in Italy, sale periods are regulated to two specific periods each year - though, like much regulation in Italy, it may not be observed very strictly.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They're in Commonwealth Street, near Central. Yes, open on weekends.
http://www.herringbone.com/Herringbone_warehouse_outlet
Not sure on size range - I was shopping at the other end of the spectrum - but I think they had the full range of sizes.
They had navy, sky blue, white, faded red in good numbers. A few dk purple, real red, green and pink. I like them because they fit well on the shoulders, have a proper collar and aren't just a vehicle for a logo...and they're cheap. So good luck.
Correction - the $10 knits are cotton knits - the woolen ones are $50.

One question how are they fit wise? does there cut compare with a standard RLP or are they on the slim size? The dark purple sounds interesting had a Nautica polo in the colour some years back and do you think I could find another.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentleman, am looking to get a new point and shoot camera for Christmas and wonder if anyone has any recommendations? I am looking for something straightforward to shot photographs on nights out, holidays and at wedding etc as well as a few landscape shots...nothing too fancy. Looking for something around or under $500. Going to go around a few shops this weekend so any advice for brands or things to look out for/avoid would be most welcome. Thank you in advance

Know there is probably a camera thread but the thing I love about the Australian Members thread is the range of topics discussed, the Australian focus and the fact we can a learn a little on new topics (like travelling to Tokyo).

To keep it sartorial I will mention I picked up another 4 shirts from P Johnson Tailors in South Melbourne. Fit and style as good as before, still testing out little differences in each one (placement of monogram, collar type, spacing of stitching). Going to enjoy these and take a little break from spending so much money on clothes (sound familiar?). Also picked up an old stock Drakes tartan tie that I spotted when Tom and Jen were show me some other things. Service brilliant as always, the personal touch makes the difference.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any quality for cheap Japanese brands for suits that I can get my hands on in Japan? Think Ring Jacket, with say 20% less in quality but at 50% of the price.

Selvaggio

Reaction score

One question how are they fit wise? does there cut compare with a standard RLP or are they on the slim size? The dark purple sounds interesting had a Nautica polo in the colour some years back and do you think I could find another.

Its hard to say exactly - they fit a bit better on me than the RLP shirts. I am on the chunky side. I would say they are smidge less slim, but they are certainly not baggy like some of your proto-typical 'dad/golf' style polos.

MickyD

Reaction score

Gentleman, am looking to get a new point and shoot camera for Christmas and wonder if anyone has any recommendations? I am looking for something straightforward to shot photographs on nights out, holidays and at wedding etc as well as a few landscape shots...nothing too fancy. Looking for something around or under $500. Going to go around a few shops this weekend so any advice for brands or things to look out for/avoid would be most welcome. Thank you in advance

Canon Powershot S100
I took an S95 as the pocketable camera for the days I didn't want to carry the SLR in London & Paris, and it's a brilliant little camera

the 'everywhere' gallery here was all with the S95
http://mpd.smugmug.com/Travel/London-Paris-June-2011

greenoxfords11

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I would like to invite you to attend Herringbone’s second sartorial evening.

Conversation and Accessories.

6.30 – 8pm 09.12.11

Canapés and drinks provided.

Christian Kimber.

Please RSVP:
[email protected]
03 96713750

lennier

Reaction score
So having taken delivery of my new PJohnson dinner suit, which is in midnight blue Ariston faille, I'm in the market for midnight blue socks. Has anyone ever come across them? I realise that it will probably be almost impossible to notice in any practical sense if I was to wear black socks, but if I can find midnight blue ones without herculean efforts I'd like to. Any pointers appreciated.

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score

So having taken delivery of my new PJohnson dinner suit, which is in midnight blue Ariston faille, I'm in the market for midnight blue socks. Has anyone ever come across them? I realise that it will probably be almost impossible to notice in any practical sense if I was to wear black socks, but if I can find midnight blue ones without herculean efforts I'd like to. Any pointers appreciated.

Not sure how dark you want but these both appear to be quite a dark navy:

http://www.howardyount.com/collections/socks/products/navy-ribbed-socks-cotton-over-the-calf

http://www.howardyount.com/collections/socks/products/ribbed-wool-over-the-calf-socks-navy

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ These are good suggestions - just check first that the colours are precisely what you want because I was reading on the Howard Yount affiliate thread that some colours on the website don't actually look like that IRL, although that's mainly affected photos of their trousers. It's something they said they're working on fixing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads