• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last night (Wednesday) at 6pm, walking near cnr Collins and Exhibition: light gray three-piece suit; walnut brogues; pocket square. Blondish hair. You HAVE to be a member...

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I saw half vest made of ties recently, god only knows what the fool was thinking and a friend just sent this to me.

Breaking News!
Valmour in France now also ship Saphir Medaille D'Or products ( shoe polish and conditioners etc. ) with the option of choosing normal mail instead of international courier.
It works out to be very reasonable - just under 5 Euros to ship two 100ml tins of Saphir Medaille D'Or Pate Deluxe to Australia.

John Lobb shoe polish is apparently rebranded Saphir Medaille D'Or.

http://www.valmour.com/cleaning-leather-1/medaille-dor-47-shoe-polish-71

Never thought I would be excited about shoe polish. Damn you style forum.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Just picked up two silk knit ties from the R&B warehouse sale; a solid brown and a solid burgundy – just what I am after and even better at $33 a pop. Still plenty of ties for those late comers like me, not so much anything else unless you are female of the species or inclined to dress that way (not that there is anything wrong with that).

xiaoli

Reaction score

Well done. I went into their Sydney (Westfireld) Store and saw that tie. Very nicely matte and a good weight. In Sydney they had it full priced at $100. They only had a very small selection of ties on special for $70 and the only knit was a very shiny Papal purple. PSs were all full priced.

Discrimination.

Sydney R&B Warehouse sale will be on

July 26~27, 8am ~ 7pm
27 Macquarie Place Sydney

Just got a postcard today.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just picked up two silk knit ties from the R&B warehouse sale; a solid brown and a solid burgundy – just what I am after and even better at $33 a pop. Still plenty of ties for those late comers like me, not so much anything else unless you are female of the species or inclined to dress that way (not that there is anything wrong with that).

Good score.

Now tell me, how are you going to go about knotting those there knits? They seem to be too long for a FIH (i.e. the knot doesn't consume enough length), but any other knot winds up being fer-reekishly huge...

__PG__

Reaction score
Try a double FIH. I have to use it for one of my ties that is too long for a standard FIH.

Where is the Melbourne R&B sale? The store next to the Rialto, or between Queen and Elizabeth St?

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have now resigned to wearing long knit ties with the front blade correct length and back blade shoved down my pants. :cry:

PeeGee: between Queen Lizzy.

Last edited:

Selvaggio

Reaction score

Sydney R&B Warehouse sale will be on

July 26~27, 8am ~ 7pm
27 Macquarie Place Sydney

Just got a postcard today.

Cool. I was just about to put out a proxy request as I have dicided I have to have a burgundy knit tie. ...but now I don't have to. I love it when things work out.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
River's online clearance flawed flat front pants $5. Sounds like great pants for activities where dignity is optional. :laugh:

lennier

Reaction score
Since it sounds like all the burgundy knit ties at R&B are being snapped up by SF members and probably no-one else - that's the one I bought too - it's heading toward being an official SF Oz members tie :D Now we just need a recognition confirmation gesture or silly walk for street encounters.

CHECKstar

Reaction score

Good score.

Now tell me, how are you going to go about knotting those there knits? They seem to be too long for a FIH (i.e. the knot doesn't consume enough length), but any other knot winds up being fer-reekishly huge...

I haven’t tried knotting them yet – but I have found the R&B ties that I have owned in the past to be a tad on the long side (height wise I am six-foot one), but it’s nothing a double FIH can’t correct. In fact, the only ties I own that I can wear in a double FIH are R&B ties.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What other alternatives are there to double FiH? With height of 5'8" just about every tie in Australia is slightly too long - more so with knit ties as manufacturers seem to make them the same length as the woven ones instead of slightly shorter. I am finding double FiH to be incredibly hard to maintain for some reason.

Also, the vicious tram tracks of Melbourne has claimed another victim. My Cheaney O'Toole now has a flap of leather sticking out on the top of the toe. What do you guys do to repair it? A little bit of glue and a lot of polishing?

edit: As for official SF OZ tie, I have a Boss Selection wool knit in burgundy, will that be good enough? :cry:

Last edited:

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Since it sounds like all the burgundy knit ties at R&B are being snapped up by SF members and probably no-one else - that's the one I bought too - it's heading toward being an official SF Oz members tie :D Now we just need a recognition confirmation gesture or silly walk for street encounters.

I am in....

Last edited:

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score
On knit ties and lengths is anyone else a fan of the blade being the same length as the front? For 'normal' ties I think it just looks messy but on a knit tie without the use of the keeper loop I think it works in a slightly rakish way.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With knit ties, also tried back blade slightly longer than the front blade too. Not too bad I must say.
(yes, it's another slow day at the office)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads