• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yet another sale alert: Strickland & Sons on Bourke St, Melbourne (http://www.stricklandandsons.co.uk/). Shirts are all $50, suits $450 and ties (seven-fold no less!) are $35 or thereabouts. I went in and had a nice long chat with the older gentleman who works there. Some of their suit fabrics look and feel fantastic, worsted flannel I think. The suits are made in China, FWIW. No idea on canvassing.

Apparently Strickland & Sons are an old Saville Row company who have mostly done bespoke, but recently did a RTW collection for Harrods, but then that deal fell through, so they sent it to Australia (!?).

I tried on a couple of shirts, which are apparently made by a German company. They're 100% cotton but non-iron. A 37 actually fit surprisingly well (again, I'm a 36-37 chest but long arms for reference), but they're a slim rather than an extra-slim, and have side pleats, so I passed for now. They had a couple of really nice ginghams though, so I'm still tempted to go back and grab one next payday, and get it taken in. They seemed like very decent quality for $50.

The ties are nice and thick and do appear to be seven-fold construction, but the patterns didn't particularly grab me. YMMV.

Apparently they have odd jackets too and much more stock at their South Yarra address.

The sale will go for another couple of weeks.

__PG__

Reaction score
I posted about Stricklands and Son before. I was told that they are half-canvassed suits made in China with hand-padded lapels, and hand-finished button holes IIRC.

The cut on the suits was 'generous'..not by cup of tea but worth a look .

I succumbed to SF groupthink and attended the R&B sale..but instead of buying the knit ties like all the cool young people did I bought two of the paisley ties... a dark green one and a purple one.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I posted about Stricklands and Son before. I was told that they are half-canvassed suits made in China with hand-padded lapels, and hand-finished button holes IIRC.

The cut on the suits was 'generous'..not by cup of tea but worth a look .

I succumbed to SF groupthink and attended the R&B sale..but instead of buying the knit ties like all the cool young people did I bought two of the paisley ties... a dark green one and a purple one.

Yes Stricklands & Sons is totally English-style, isn't it. Not my c.o.t. either I suppose (to the extent that I have a cup of tea at this early stage in my post-SF life).

Interestingly though, the salesperson I spoke said that the company has realised that there's an untapped Asian market in Australia, and are looking at producing a range that's better suited (ha) to the slimmer gentleman.

lennier

Reaction score

Excommunicated!!

I'll take the cool, but I sadly can no longer make any claim to young :)

budgiesmuggler

Reaction score
Strickland and Sons was bought by Richard Anderson (ex Huntsman cutter) about 5 years ago. Maybe they are using S+S now as their RTW label?

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How do you know I am not Edelsten in real life?

As it turns out I am not...but he is, of course, my 'style icon'. I mean how can you not love a gold and black striped matching shirt and tie set. :fonz:

You did do drugs in your youth didn't you! That's the only explanation I can think of.

And when is someone going to bring a reasonable popup sale to Canberra? The two stores where I usually restock my ties are not having sales this year, cant work that one out.

And talk about being ahead of the curve I found my kindergarten photo taken in 1963 and I am wearing a knit tie.:happy:

Last edited:

Selvaggio

Reaction score

Some Edelsten sunshine to brighten this gloomy Friday afternoon.:)

JSSM

Reaction score

I'd bet that 90% of men wear schoolboy knot because thats all they can do - or am I totally off the park here?

I see plenty of windors around the city, but yes, for the majority of the general public that use the FIH, it is probably because that is all they know. I think many who go with the windsor my view it as more sophisticated or superior, not knowing how stylish a well-tied FIH (or variant) can be. I tend to go with the FIH or double these days as it is a slimmer knot, and suits my face, build, ties, and collars. I used to wear a half-windsor far more regularly, but became bored with it. I also like the FIH and double as to me it feels like a young knot (slim and asymetrical), and tied well it also looks quite elegant. Perfect for someone in their 20s.

Last edited:

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some Edelsten sunshine to brighten this gloomy Friday afternoon.:)

I respect that. In Melbourne here, Winter means nothing but black black and more gloomy black. A bit of colour is great. That is why I'm trying to introduce colour to my clothes and try to avoid too much charcoal and black in the clothes I buy now.

Selvaggio

Reaction score

I respect that. In Melbourne here, Winter means nothing but black black and more gloomy black. A bit of colour is great. That is why I'm trying to introduce colour to my clothes and try to avoid too much charcoal and black in the clothes I buy now.

Now - I must confess that I think GE's clothes sense is horrocious - so I have him as my profile pic a s a bit of a tongue in cheek gesture.....but, I see what you say about the blackness of Melbourne.

Also, I like it when people dress a bit eccentrically - the world needs a bit of colour in it. Though - Matt Preston and Barry Humphries - do this better than GE.

I might need a new profile pic - people might get the wrong idea.

__PG__

Reaction score
Well the wife and I got to ditch the kids with my parents so we went out for dinner. I decided to debut my new purple paisley tie...with half windsor knot.

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

The suit is a navy Canali wool-mohair suit with subtle red and white pinstripes. It was one of the first suits I got from Azzaro. It's awesome. Here is what it looks like in daylight.

DSC02022.jpg

DSC02023.jpg

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blahsta. Was it you looking at Rivers on line ?

The white , they call them ice, slim fit pants with comfort waist are a good thick twill type white Jean/pant , I have a couple of pair, they wash up well and are very white.

I get undies from rivers and no where else these days as they are cheap and thick and pure cotton.

[ I get some t shirts too from rivers but I need to know where I can get t shirts that fit tight around neck and stand up like a true military crew neck t. I only wear them in winter and cool weather under an open necked shirt , so I only care about the collar /crew, I never wear a t as an outer garment or under a tie and shirt. Anyone know where you can get those neat crew necks?]

The "dodgy" NQR pants I have a pair for around the garden etc they have a few odd things wrong but fine for going to Bunnings, working at home, around neighborhood family, friends etc. @$5

jobro

Reaction score

I only wear them in winter and cool weather under an open necked shirt , so I only care about the collar /crew, I never wear a t as an outer garment or under a tie and shirt. Anyone know where you can get those neat crew necks?]

You don't like v-necks? I don't like the look of a undershirt showing. It is the slightly more accepted cousin to visible underwear on a fully clothed person.

Try Uniqolo.

I don't like Rivers clothing, it is what it is, cheap clothing. I would be surprised to see a 90 degree angle in the manufacturing of any of their garments. Every corner is cut to save every cent.

Last edited:

Lowly Public Servant

Reaction score

Blahsta. Was it you looking at Rivers on line ?

The white , they call them ice, slim fit pants with comfort waist are a good thick twill type white Jean/pant , I have a couple of pair, they wash up well and are very white.

I get undies from rivers and no where else these days as they are cheap and thick and pure cotton.

[ I get some t shirts too from rivers but I need to know where I can get t shirts that fit tight around neck and stand up like a true military crew neck t. I only wear them in winter and cool weather under an open necked shirt , so I only care about the collar /crew, I never wear a t as an outer garment or under a tie and shirt. Anyone know where you can get those neat crew necks?]

The "dodgy" NQR pants I have a pair for around the garden etc they have a few odd things wrong but fine for going to Bunnings, working at home, around neighborhood family, friends etc. @$5

You could try BIG W.

I haven't been there for a couple of months but I got some long sleeve crew neck t shirts from there for about $8 each. The brand is Tweed River and they are surprisingly good quality for the price. The collar feels just as good if not better than any shirt I was issued when I was in the army.

Only thing is I don't remember if they had any short sleeved t's.

I also get my undies from Rivers, great quality for the price, especially when on sale.

LPS :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads