• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't see the value in $120 when you can get a MTM for $150, of which includes no hassle with organising size and taking it to a tailor.

I agree. Anything upwards of $50~ and I wouldn't bother with RTW shirts.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TM Lewin has a tiny selection in button cuff and again don't have a proper semi-spread collar.

I think that if you go on to the TM Lewin website, they'll have a wider variety of shirts with button cuffs.

Charles Tyrwhitt (CT shirts) offers pretty much all of their "dress" shirts (as opposed to their business casual shirts) with either a double or single cuff - you click a radio button when ordering the shirt to choose with style of cuff you like, as well as choosing sleeve length.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can't see the value in $120 when you can get a MTM for $150, of which includes no hassle with organising size and taking it to a tailor.

I agree. Anything upwards of $50~ and I wouldn't bother with RTW shirts. 

Personally, ordering a shirt for $90 and knowing what I'm getting, having the shirt 3 or 4 days later, and after $20 and a couple more days have a perfectly fitting shirt is a good process for me.

MTM can take a lot longer (just ask Matt - sorry buddy) and it's never 100% right the first time anyway. Also, there is still the "hassle" of getting measured up in the first place, coming in to look at fabrics etc. which takes about the same time as getting an OTR shirt pinned anyway. Also OTR shirts can be made better than a MTM shirt - depending on who you use of course. Certainly a Kamakura shirt is better made than a CT one from what I've seen.

Sure, not everyone fits OTR, but if you find a brand that does and the product is well made at a good price, I think it's as easy or easier than MTM.

FWIW I've had plenty of MTM shirts made as well; if I'm after something I can't find in the market, usually in terms of fabric, then that's one of the main reasons to have them made for you.

lukejackson

Reaction score
Spent a night drinking with some PLO dudes. Palestine Liberation Organisation. I have met hard dudes before, but these guys are on another level. Most welcoming bunch of fellas ever though. Good times. And man, I thought I could drink. Wow.

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
Kamakura are good value (if you wear button downs in particular), but they are cut a bit weird for the average Westerner's physique so you need to check the measurements carefully and take a bit of a punt to begin with, then probably add +$20-$30 in alterations to get the fit spot on. For me, they are a decent shirt for $120 all up, but the available styles are a bit limited these days.
Makaura are good value yes and great fabric. I ordered a couple of shirts from them, but as you say really bizarre cut and also I did not like the collar. I am incredibly fussy about the collar for some reason.

Also, I think this has been discussed before, but poplin is IMO a horrible shirting fabric.

My rotation for work is 2x white royal oxford, 3x white twill, 1x blue royal oxford, 1x blue twill, O&J white OCBD for fridays. Other shirts are a mix of R&B on special and 2 Boggi shirts which were very pricey but worth it.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, ordering a shirt for $90 and knowing what I'm getting, having the shirt 3 or 4 days later, and after $20 and a couple more days have a perfectly fitting shirt is a good process for me.

MTM can take a lot longer (just ask Matt - sorry buddy) and it's never 100% right the first time anyway. Also, there is still the "hassle" of getting measured up in the first place, coming in to look at fabrics etc. which takes about the same time as getting an OTR shirt pinned anyway. Also OTR shirts can be made better than a MTM shirt - depending on who you use of course. Certainly a Kamakura shirt is better made than a CT one from what I've seen.

Sure, not everyone fits OTR, but if you find a brand that does and the product is well made at a good price, I think it's as easy or easier than MTM.

FWIW I've had plenty of MTM shirts made as well; if I'm after something I can't find in the market, usually in terms of fabric, then that's one of the main reasons to have them made for you.

I find it increasingly more difficult to find shirts I like.

Whilst I am fussy, I find that more and more brands are moving to non-iron fabrics. Its also very difficult to find light enough shades of blue.

My biggest problem though is that as a former weightlifter, my shirt collar is a 44 but my body fit is a 42. If I want a shirt that doesn't choke me, it has to be M2M.

I wouldn't buy M2M online, but I can generally nail something first fit with SS. I'd trust OH as well.

Makaura are good value yes and great fabric. I ordered a couple of shirts from them, but as you say really bizarre cut and also I did not like the collar. I am incredibly fussy about the collar for some reason.

Also, I think this has been discussed before, but poplin is IMO a horrible shirting fabric.

My rotation for work is 2x white royal oxford, 3x white twill, 1x blue royal oxford, 1x blue twill, O&J white OCBD for fridays. Other shirts are a mix of R&B on special and 2 Boggi shirts which were very pricey but worth it.

Do you find the twills too thick for summer? Or are they a higher quality (e.g. Thomas Mason).

I generally find that poplin is the lightest fabric. I used to own a herringbone which was too thick for summer.

Last edited:

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Whilst I am fussy, I find that more and more brands are moving to non-iron fabrics. Its also very difficult to find light enough shades of blue.

My biggest problem though is that as a former weightlifter, my shirt collar is a 44 but my body fit is a 42. If I want a shirt that doesn't choke me, it has to be M2M.

I wouldn't buy M2M online, but I can generally nail something first fit with SS. I'd trust OH as well.

Do you find the twills too thick for summer? Or are they a higher quality (e.g. Thomas Mason).

I generally find that poplin is the lightest fabric. I used to own a herringbone which was too thick for summer.
Twills breath and wick sweat

Poplins are light but dont breathe as well and will display wet patches

That said I like the crispness of poplin esp on stripes

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Twills breath and wick sweat

Poplins are light but dont breathe as well and will display wet patches

That said I like the crispness of poplin esp on stripes

How come broadcloth and poplin are described as 'summer weight fabrics'?

In the end, doesn't it come down to weight and thickness?

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Spent a night drinking with some PLO dudes. Palestine Liberation Organisation. I have met hard dudes before, but these guys are on another level. Most welcoming bunch of fellas ever though. Good times. And man, I thought  I could drink. Wow.

Tell them your real name is Isaac Lukewitz.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

*[COLOR=FF00AA]Non-clothing content warning[/COLOR]*

Any recommendations on a soundbar?

Budget up to about $700. Doesn't have to have a woofer.

FredAstaire1899

Reaction score
*[COLOR=FF00AA]Non-clothing content warning[/COLOR]*

Any recommendations on a soundbar?

Budget up to about $700. Doesn't have to have a woofer.

I haven't looked at these things for years, but surely you can find a pair of very good active stereo monitors at that price? I almost always recommend genuine 2.0 over anything else for home.

Last edited:

aussieboy

Reaction score

mate, i have recently gotten into tailor made shirting. its so good. I've never been able to find a shirt that fits me well and allows me to do up the top button whilst allowing me to breathe.

recently got 6 shirts from Ascot Chang, now i can't wear my old shirts at all. the difference is so obvious. it doesn't feel like you're wearing anything, the shirt just moves with you. love them.

highly recommend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads